none
Raspberry Pi 3 and 14322, IoTUAPOOBE stuck on Welcome (Pi3 Wifi issue)

Question

• I have tried multiple SD cards and ways to format them and have left it run overnight.

The Screen still shows the Blue Welcome to Windows IoT Core Screen.

I can deploy apps and the Remote Client works.

In fact I have also been able to set the WiFi via the web interface.

Please advise.

Can I manually throw a registry key to get it past the blue screen?

Enterprise Dev

Wednesday, April 27, 2016 10:57 AM

Answers

• OK, I got it to work, but I am unclear as to why.

I did a low level format on the SD card using SDFormatter 

Then I setup the card as before, and cest voila it works!

I tried it on each card that failed and they all work.

SO far however, I no longer have WiFi support on the PI3.

All I can say is, early bits, this is preview.

Enterprise Dev

Wednesday, April 27, 2016 6:25 PM

All replies

• You're not on your own, I had the same few weeks back on earlier ffu, but not seen it recently.

I haven't got time to try this but: I was using an 800x480 panel with an edit to config.txt to suit. I wonder if that could be the cause because I haven't seen it with a standard monitor attached. maybe not related but all I can think of.

Saden.

Wednesday, April 27, 2016 11:38 AM
  • OK, I got it to work, but I am unclear as to why.

I did a low level format on the SD card using SDFormatter 

Then I setup the card as before, and cest voila it works!

I tried it on each card that failed and they all work.

SO far however, I no longer have WiFi support on the PI3.

All I can say is, early bits, this is preview.

Enterprise Dev

Wednesday, April 27, 2016 6:25 PM
  • I too had similar problems. Resolved mine by using SDFormater, but also had to use a SanDisk Ultra card. My PYN card worked fine for other OS's on the Pi, but only the SanDisk would run IoT.
    Thursday, April 28, 2016 8:57 AM
  • Hi mcmspark,

With regards to the onboard wifi, has your device updated to 14322?

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Thursday, April 28, 2016 5:04 PM
  • I am using a downloaded flash.ffu from the install in the image Windows10_InsiderPreview_IoTCore_RPi_ARM32_en-us_14322

I deploy the flash.ffu using the IoT dashboard - Set up a new device

I select device type custom and the flash.ffu and my sd card and click install.

I have 2 experiences:

1) The device boots up but continues to display welcome screen

In this state all functions including Wifi work.  I can deploy applications and have confirmed Wifi networking

2) The device boots up and shows the IoT interface

In this state the Wifi does not work, but all other functions work

I have a theory that I am testing.  I believe it is that the first boot is looking for internet connectivity.  My test is to boot the first time without conectivity (seems to produce condition 1), and boot with conectivity (seems to produce condition 2)

Enterprise Dev

Thursday, April 28, 2016 7:14 PM
  • Hi mcmspark,

I have asked the IoT Core team and they are currently investigating this issue.

We are currently working on resolving this issue which happens on first boot during OOBE (Out Of Box Experience). If you restart the device WiFi should be functional.

Can you confirm that once you reboot option 2) the wifi works?

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Thursday, April 28, 2016 10:25 PM
  • OK, I had it backwards.

Reliable method, (i tried this with 2 different sd cards and 2 different PI3's):

1) clean the sd card using SDFormatter (low level is not required but size expand is)

2) use IoT dashboard to write the flash.ffu file for 10.0.14322.1000 to the sd card

3) install the card in the RPI3 and boot with no network connected (boots clean, and gets past welcome quickly)

4) as soon as network is connected the wifi works, (I connected to inspect and it sprang to life)

SO, it looks like having internet connectivity on first boot can be a problem.  When I tried it with internet connect it consistently hung on the Blue Welcome screen.

Also I have 5 RPI 3s and 1 of them the wifi is not recognized.  I will boot Rasbian to see if it is a bad board.

Thank the team, wifi is a really important feature.  I also use CISECO radios, so Thank them for Serial interface as well.

Enterprise Dev

Friday, April 29, 2016 12:33 AM
  • I have confirmed that the one RPI3 that has trouble with Wifi on Windows IoT Works under Rasbian Jessie. 

I have tried booting it under 14322 in multiple ways.

I am chalking it up to a defective board and moving on.  I will write on it Rasbian only.

On the board that works I see These Devices:

>Broadcom 2836 Arasan SD Host Controller
                (ID:ACPI\BCM2847\0, Class:SDHost, Manufacturer:SDA Standard Compliant SD Host Controller Vendor, StatusCode:25165834)
                    >Generic SDIO Device
                    (ID:SD\VID_02D0&PID_A9A6&FN_2\3&2CE4C1BC&0&0, StatusCode:25191424, ProblemCode:28)
                    >Broadcom 802.11n Wireless SDIO Adapter
                    (ID:SD\VID_02D0&PID_A9A6&FN_1\3&2CE4C1BC&0&0, FriendlyName:Broadcom 802.11n Wireless SDIO Adapter, Class:Net, Manufacturer:Broadcom, StatusCode:25190410)
                        >Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter
                        (ID:{5D624F94-8850-40C3-A3FA-A4FD2080BAF3}\VWIFIMP_WFD\4&26C6B8D5&0&11, FriendlyName:Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter, Class:Net, Manufacturer:Microsoft, StatusCode:1098915850)
                        >Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter
                        (ID:{5D624F94-8850-40C3-A3FA-A4FD2080BAF3}\VWIFIMP_WFD\4&26C6B8D5&0&12, FriendlyName:Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter #2, Class:Net, Manufacturer:Microsoft, StatusCode:1098915850)

On the Board that does not work that section looks like this:

>Broadcom 2836 Arasan SD Host Controller
    (ID:ACPI\BCM2847\0, Class:SDHost, Manufacturer:SDA Standard Compliant SD Host Controller Vendor, StatusCode:25165834)

Enterprise Dev

Friday, April 29, 2016 3:36 PM
  • Hi mcmspark,

I have let the team know to review your latest findings in reference to their current work on a fix.

Sincere thanks for all of the great detail provided!

IoTGirl

Friday, April 29, 2016 5:17 PM
  • I know why the Wifi does not work!

Different Manufacturer

Element 14 - Works

RS Components - Doesn't work

The Element 14 board has Black locks on the ribbon connectors for Camera and Touchscreen

The RS has White locks on the camera and touch screen ribbon connectors

Enterprise Dev

Friday, April 29, 2016 5:24 PM
  • This is great detail! Many thanks for identifying this difference.
    Friday, April 29, 2016 5:32 PM
  • Hi mcmspark,

The answer I received from the team is "The Pi3 version that works is version 1.2."

Can you confirm that the RS version of the Pi3 is using version 1.2 hardware? That is, is it using the same hardware chip set as the element 14 version?  I tried to see it in the photo but I can't quite make it out.

Sincerest thanks!

IoTGirl

Friday, April 29, 2016 5:59 PM
  • The silk screen says v1.2

In fact, I cannot visually see and differences in the silkscreen between the manufacturers.

Both boards work exactly the same in Rasbian.

Clearly something to watch out for.  Thanks for your support. 

Enterprise Dev

Friday, April 29, 2016 8:08 PM
  • Hi mcmspark,

I actually have someone at Microsoft UK that has reproduced the same issue as you and have added the board difference to the investigation as well.

I don't have one of these boards in Redmond as of yet but I will see what we can do to rectify that situation.  Thanks again so very much for your identification of the differences in the board Manufacturer. The thought was that all Pi3 V1.2 chipset boards would behave the same but that is obviously not a valid assumption at this point.

UPDATE: We have secured some boards that look like your RS board (http://www.alliedelec.com/raspberry-pi-raspberry-pi-3/70816528/)

Sincerely,

ioTGirl

Friday, April 29, 2016 9:15 PM
  • I'm using the latest bits (Insider Preview Build 14322) which is supposed to have support for the built-in WiFi.  I am able to connect to my WiFi network and it gets an IP, but I can't connect to the device.

I can't ping it, and I can't connect to the admin portal on :8080.  I also can't send apps over from Visual Studio.  Everything works fine when I'm hard-wired.  

Is anyone else seeing this?  

Wednesday, May 4, 2016 1:49 AM
  • My PI3 updated to version 14322 with Windows Update but the WiFi is not found. It shows no wifi adaptor. So I don't have the same problem but it still can't get it to work
    Wednesday, May 4, 2016 2:09 AM
  • Dear friend,

I just updated my RPi 3 to the latest Build 14322, and it worked fine.

For one more thing you should keep in mind, the RPi will choose Ethernet connection first though the WiFi is on. So, if you can see the configuration form that make the RPi connect to WiFi network for the first time when RPi boots, this means your WiFi on RPi3 is OK. That is to say, if you want to use WiFi on RPi 3, just remove Ethernet connection. Then, keep the IP on DefaultApp screen. You will find your WiFi works fine.

Hope this will help.

Keep Fighting

Wednesday, May 4, 2016 4:59 AM
  • Hi Brian

What is your Pi3's manufacturer? I'm using an Element14 manufactured model, on which WiFi is working for me.

I read on this forum that other Pi3 owners are finding the WiFi success depends on manufacturer: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/70c2b5ab-9e49-4ec2-961f-c196e85ef5a8/raspberry-pi-3-and-14322-iotuapoobe-stuck-on-welcome-all-else-is-working?forum=WindowsIoT

I hope this is useful info.

Jeremy

Wednesday, May 4, 2016 9:12 AM
  • Thanks for your suggestions. I will check the board when I get home. I think it is the element 14 but I am not sure. I bought it as part of a Canakit. If it is not then maybe I have the same problem as in the link you provided. I will update this when I get home.
    Wednesday, May 4, 2016 11:53 AM
  • Hi Brian & PDKWork,

We are tracking this issue through the other thread and Pi3 wifi should be working on the next drop of the OS.  I will merge both threads for ease of tracking.  NOTE: The Element 14 & Allied manufactured RPi3 boards should recover Wifi on the second boot whilst the RS board does not seem to recover.

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Wednesday, May 4, 2016 4:33 PM
  • @IoTGirl,

I think my issue is a bit different.  My WiFi seems to work.  I can connect to my Access Point, and the RPi3 gets an IP address.  The problem I'm running in to is that I can't connect to it.  If I try to browse to IP:8080 or ping the IP, I get nothing.

Brian

Wednesday, May 4, 2016 7:14 PM
  • Hi IoTGirl, I think I have the RS board as shown in the images in this thread. Will this board be fixed anytime soon? Thanks, Paul
    Wednesday, May 4, 2016 9:58 PM
  • Hi Paul,

Can you confirm you have RS or Allied? The box looks the same. If you let the board boot and then reboot, does the wifi appear? 

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Thursday, May 5, 2016 4:45 AM
  • Hi Brian,

If you boot the board with only Wifi, does the browse work?

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

PS: Take a look at https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/1326e40a-35b1-4986-a1dd-8f08b30376aa/failed-to-enable-windows-iot-remote-server?forum=WindowsIoT.  If you think this is a new issue, can you complete the template with full reproduction information?
    Thursday, May 5, 2016 4:52 AM
  • IoTGirl, I can't confirm the make since I don't have the box anymore. From the picture I do have the white pin protectors. I rebooted the PI3 more than 3 times and each time the WiFi does not appear. I tried to find the WiFi using both the remote connection app and the admin page. The WiFi just does not appear. Is there another way that I can determine the make of the device? Is there error reports or event logs that I can send to help? Thanks, Paul
    Thursday, May 5, 2016 11:09 AM
  • Hi Paul,

The Element 14 usually recovers so I would assume you have the RS board.  I am afraid I do not have an answer for that board yet except that we are investigating that issue. 

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Thursday, May 5, 2016 3:31 PM
  • Hi mcmspark,

I received confirmation today against an RS RPi3 board running 14342.  There seems to be an issue that the UI does not show as connected but the wifi is actually connected behind the scenes so we are continuing to work on this issue. 

Can you please confirm against the latest pre-release as well?

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Tuesday, May 10, 2016 9:41 PM
  • IoTGirl,

I just set up the RS RPi3 with:

I can confirm that the UI does not show that there is wifi support.

I can also confirm that the device portal - networking page also does not show wifi support.

I can mail you the board if you want one.

Enterprise Dev

Wednesday, May 11, 2016 12:13 AM
  • I would like to chime in that I too have this problem. Hang on OOBE. My RPI3 was purchased directly from the Microsoft Store. I've only used the NOOBS SD card that came with the RPI3 (from Microsoft). The board has black locks. When booting NOOBS (shift key) to reinstall the OS, I've tried both 14322 and 14328. They both hang in OOBE but I can connect using web portal (ethernet cable). But with no onboard WiFi showing in the web portal's device manager or network. The most recent test tonight was to try 14322, I disconnected the Ethernet after NOOBS has installed the OS (i.e. before first reboot) and plugged in a HDMI cable (in addition to the VDI 7" official raspberry pi touch screen). This has worked. The OOBE UI appears on the touch screen. I will now attempt to use windows update to update to 14328.
    Wednesday, May 11, 2016 9:09 AM
  • Hi mcmspark,

Thank you for the offer! We do have a developer in the UK that has an RS board and has confirmed against 14342 but unfortunately that build has not bubbled through the pre-release channels as yet.  The build number roughly increments by date so that build is approximately 2 weeks after 14328 so at best it should appear two weeks after 14328 did.

Hopefully that means it will arrive soon.

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Wednesday, May 11, 2016 5:40 PM
  • Hi mjmeans,

As discussed earlier in this thread, build 14322 stalls on the wifi driver load but usually recovers on the second boot (Unless you are using an RS Board, we do not yet know why those behave differently but the fix seems to be working for both).  The fix addresses a number of issues with wifi including this failure to load behavior but unfortunately it does take some time to travel through the release process and hit the Windows Insiders.

If you got your Pi at the Microsoft Store I would suspect it is an element 14 but that is only because that seems to be what we have here.  The site shows element 14 for the Pi2 http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Raspberry-Pi-2-Model-B-+-8GB-microSD-Bundle/productID.328659700 but is not so clear about the Pi3 http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Raspberry-Pi-3-Board-and-16GB-10class-with-NOOBS/productID.334851400 however the video link does show element 14 in the corner.

So when you do the second boot with the HDMI connected, it should get past the block it hit on first boot.

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Wednesday, May 11, 2016 5:54 PM
  • Does anybody know when the Pi 3 windows 10 version will support the built in wifi?  I am on build 14328 (just downloaded it ) Or am I not waiting long enough for the network to be detected?  My device works fine under Raspieren.

Apologies if this has already been covered.  I did wade through a lot of disgruntled discussions.

Tuesday, May 17, 2016 7:03 PM
  • #14328 already support pi 3 internal wifi

based on release notes https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/iot/win10/releasenotesinsiderpreview, implemented with #14322
    Tuesday, May 17, 2016 7:11 PM
  • Check your manufacturer...

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/70c2b5ab-9e49-4ec2-961f-c196e85ef5a8/raspberry-pi-3-and-14322-iotuapoobe-stuck-on-welcome-pi3-wifi-issue?forum=WindowsIoT

"Element 14 works, but RS Components does not."

I'd guess the samples to MS were from the Element 14 design rather than the RS Components design.

Ed

• Proposed as answer by ed harfmann2 Tuesday, May 17, 2016 7:27 PM
    Tuesday, May 17, 2016 7:27 PM
  • Hi Folks,

I have merged threads under the (Pi3 Wifi issue) topic as suggested by Ed as the full answer is already given here.

1. For some boards, wifi will work on second boot

2. For RS, and potentially Allied boards, you will have to wait for a build 14342 or later. From my previous reply "We do have a developer in the UK that has an RS board and has confirmed against 14342 but unfortunately that build has not bubbled through the pre-release channels as yet.  The build number roughly increments by date so that build is approximately 2 weeks after 14328 so at best it should appear two weeks after 14328 did."

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

UPDATE: I believe 14342 is available today. It should have some of the fixes. I have been informed that not all of the fixes made that build and now 14348 is the one to watch.

Tuesday, May 17, 2016 8:26 PM
  • IoTGirl, I updated my version of the RP3 with the latest version 14342 and wifi now works on what I think is the RS version. I did need to reboot to get it to recognize the wifi. Only thing to note is the Windows update did not work. I had to reistall the OS to update it. Thanks, Paul
    Friday, May 20, 2016 11:47 AM
  • Hi PDK,

That is great news! There are still some more stability fixes that will be in 14348 specific to issues with the RS version of the board but I am very glad you have hit a sweet spot with that build.  My recommendation is to keep a back up copy of any ISO that seems to be working for your scenario as Pre-release is really a wild ride. :)

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Tuesday, May 24, 2016 5:14 PM
  • Is anyone else experiencing this? On my Raspberry Pi 3 using the most recent (10.0.14342.1000) and penultimate insider builds, I'm getting poor results. Neither build seems to be able to shut down or restart properly, and the built-in Wi-Fi adapter doesn't show up even though the release notes say it should.

Someone suggested I should try a different SD card, I was using a SanDisk Ultra 8Gb HC-I so I tried using a SanDisk 32Gb Ultra HC-I, of course it made no difference. All seemed to be well on the initial Raspberry Pi 3 release but with these latest builds things seem a bit unstable.

Anyone?

Thanks,

Tim Long

Tim Long

Thursday, June 2, 2016 11:26 PM
  • There is anecdotal evidence on the Raspberry Pi forums that there does seem to be an issue with Wi-Fi not working, and having checked, sure enough my Wi-Fi isn't working. There seems to be some sort of conflict with the SD card, does that make sense?

Tim Long

Friday, June 3, 2016 12:09 AM
  • Hi Tim,

I have merged your question into the thread with the answer I think you are seeking. The key is which board you are using. There is another similar thread here: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/d4aa9737-a69d-4c44-b539-686f54fc6a87/element-14-rpi3-with-14342-1-out-of-3-has-wifi-working?forum=WindowsIoT

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Friday, June 3, 2016 6:08 AM
  • Hi I have a raspberry 3 Model B with Win 10 IoT core insider preview Build 14342 installed. It installs file and boots up fine the first time. But when I shut down the Windows via menu, it shuts down and shows a rainbow window and then immediately green LEDs start blinking and monitor goes to active mode again. This time its just black screen and the green LED keeps blinking. If I plug out the power and put it back again, it reboots but keeps failing for 3 times and then nothing just black screen. The green LED blinks 7 times at an interval. Could you please let me know how to shut down and start Windows 10 IoT properly? Any links to help what the green LED blinks means would be an additional help.

PS: The raspberry Pi 3 does not detect Wifi network, sometimes though the Build release notes says its enabled.

Friday, June 3, 2016 6:29 PM
  • WiFi
    there are known issues with WiFi on Pi 3, it looks like different Pi 3 are available on the market, should/could be solved with next insider preview
    more information https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/70c2b5ab-9e49-4ec2-961f-c196e85ef5a8/raspberry-pi-3-and-14322-iotuapoobe-stuck-on-welcome-pi3-wifi-issue?forum=WindowsIoT

Shutdown
    could be the case Pi3 has same problems as DragonBoard
    what's the result if you simply power off your pi without shutdown?

Friday, June 3, 2016 7:33 PM
  • Hi Krishnan,

Both of your questions are known issues that can be found in this forum.  For shutdown please see:

This thread discusses the Wifi issue you note.  Please wait for build 14348 or later as it recommends.

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Friday, June 3, 2016 7:39 PM
  • Hi

I have only wifi (no wlan) and I download and install iot on my micro sd card an boot the RP3 installation is finished.

I have some problem:

1. I can't restart or shutdown the RP3 from iot menu

2. Wifi doesn't work and not find any other Wifi also

3. iot is very slow

I changed also my micro sd card to Sand ultra but it still doesn't work

When I install the NOOBS it work find and let me to download iot and after installation doesn't work

Friday, June 3, 2016 9:48 PM
  • Hi Zorig,

All of your issues already have their own threads in the forums.

1. See my answer to Krishnan above

2. This thread is in regards to the wifi issue

3. First boot takes a long time and longer depending on the size of the card. First configuration at first boot is expensive. Subsequent boots are faster.  There are also known issues with RPi & cards larger than 32GB.

I suggest you search the forums before posting and add far more detail about your set up in your post.

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Friday, June 3, 2016 11:27 PM
  • My card is 16G and I let to restart and even shutdown but after 20min I came back ans see nothing happend
    Friday, June 3, 2016 11:38 PM
  • Hi Zorig,

Your 16GB card should work, that is the size I am using too. However, I use the SD card flashing option after choosing the board https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/iot/getstarted

It sounds like you might be loading 10586 (RTM Build)  rather than 14342 (Windows Insider Build).

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Saturday, June 4, 2016 6:22 AM
  • Hi

I download the image from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windowsiot

the file name is Windows10_InsiderPreview_IoTCore_RPi_ARM32_en-us_14342

thanks

Saturday, June 4, 2016 7:10 AM
  • What's going on with the Insider builds for Raspberry Pi 3? They are completely broken!

The Wi-Fi feature shows up maybe once in 10 reboots, and when it does, the system hangs.

I'm not able to shut down or restart the system cleanly.

The default dashboard app crashes spontaneously

The system freezes spontaneously.

This is all very worrying. Given that this is essentially a showstopper bug, I'd expect to see some sort of communication about what the problem is and when we might expect to see a new build to resolve it.

The main reason I stopped using Netduino and .Net Micro Framework was precisely because of this type of issue, that takes months or years to get resolved. That kind of uncertainty is corrosive. If at least someone could say when the next build is coming, then at least it would be clear whether I have to go back to the old Raspberry Pi 2 build for the time being.

Best regards,

Tim Long

Tim Long

Sunday, June 12, 2016 7:50 PM
  • there are known issues with Pi 3 based on different existing Hardware Models in the field, the next insider preview build should include some fixes

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/70c2b5ab-9e49-4ec2-961f-c196e85ef5a8/raspberry-pi-3-and-14322-iotuapoobe-stuck-on-welcome-pi3-wifi-issue?forum=WindowsIoT

Monday, June 13, 2016 8:20 AM
  • I have 2 raspberry PI 3s and i have been setting up the IoT Core through the Iot Core dashboard on windows 10, after creating it i can power up the RPI, it shows up in the dashboard, i can access the web management panel, and remote in with powershell however if i restart it, it will not boot up again, even if no changes have been made to the system, power cycling the pi did not help either. I have tried both of the Insider preview versions available for download. I also tried running the updates from inside the web management panel to see if they would reboot properly after that, but no luck. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to try to resolve this?
    Sunday, June 19, 2016 1:33 PM
  • Hi wered,

This thread gives you two possibilities for your issue but the most likely option is that you using an SD card that is greater than 32 GB.

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Sunday, June 19, 2016 4:07 PM
  • I am using 32GB SD cards, i have larger ones but have not tried them, I did the low level format on the cards and it will start up most of the time.
    Sunday, June 19, 2016 8:02 PM
  • Hi wered,

Are you certain you are not restarting mid-update?  What version of the OS are you putting on the SD cards?

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Sunday, June 19, 2016 8:12 PM
  • Hi IotGirl

When is the next build (14348) expected. Any ETA? 

Wednesday, June 22, 2016 4:39 PM
  • Hi Krishnan,

14366 was released but it has issues.  We expect a new version to be available by the end of this week but you will need to re-image the SD card.

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Wednesday, June 22, 2016 5:00 PM
  • Hi IoTGirl

I am OK with reimaging it as long as I can get a decent build. Right now I cant shut down my device properly and wifi connection is a "if you are lucky" thing. Also the location where the build is available, can you post that too please. I never saw a 14366 release in the IoT Core insider preview download page.

Thank you for your quick responses

Wednesday, June 22, 2016 5:14 PM
  • Hi Krishnan,

14342 is the version you will have to use in the mean time.  14366 only came as an update and if you look at some of the other posts it caused quite a few problems. 

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Wednesday, June 22, 2016 7:05 PM
  • I thought I'd chime in, I have a Pi3 from Element 14, had the same issues with the onboard Wi-Fi (in fact I just thought it was still not supported) no remote server starting, etc.

I was an early adopter, so had originally installed one of the first insider builds for it, then had done the upgrades through the update process. I read this and a few other threads, and decided to start over.

FWIW I took out my SD, deleted all the partitions with disk part, did a full format, reflashed 14342, and viola, it's working great now. Setup went well using only the onboard Wi-Fi. Once connected to Wi-Fi I was able to enable the remote server from the web portal and connect with the client. I can shutdown, restart, and do everything I need to. Aside from my fear of doing an online update again, I'm very happy at this point. ;)

DG

Thursday, June 23, 2016 6:21 AM
  • Thanks for the merge, IoTGirl. It's good to know someone is paying attention.

This is clearly a showstopper issue. The observed results are totally random. At one point my board worked for over a week then suddenly the Wi-Fi adapter showed up for no reason and the thing starting hanging on boot again. Now I can't even get it to boot, even after a clean install.

What do you mean "it depends which board you are using"? They are all the same board. Mine didn't come from Element 14.

"The developer working on this issue says all of his fixes did not get into 14342 so you may have to wait until 14348 is available to confirm the full fix."

WHAT? Come on, this is a SHOWSTOPPER. That developer's fixes should have been a priority.

"There seems to be an issue with the hardware response on some boards".

No, no, NO! It's a software bug. The boards are ALL THE SAME. If the software is working on some boards and not others, then clearly something is close to tolerance. As has been pointed out by several posters, Raspbian works perfectly on all the boards. Please take ownership of the problem.

The problem is not that the Wi-Fi doesn't work, I could live with that. I could wait for another build for Wi-Fi. The problem is that the build is completely and utterly broken. It can't shut down or reboot reliably; sometimes it won't boot; sometimes it boots but then hangs; sometimes it works for a while (mine worked for over a week at one point) and then it randomly starts failing again.

It's no good blaming the SD cards or trying to make out there is a problem with boards from a certain vendor. The truth is, the quality of this build is ABSOLUTELY SHAMEFUL. And no-one even bothers to tell us when we might expect another build.

Can we please have access to the oringal Pi3 build without the Wi-Fi support? At least that worked and was stable enough to do development on. Come on Microsoft, DO *SOMETHING*

Tim Long

Thursday, June 23, 2016 11:13 AM
  • @Tim Long the point is the boards are NOT all the same, you will find different Pi3 with different Hardware on the market

you have decided to use a pi and you get what you paid for, the pi is cheap so you have to live with some issues

Thursday, June 23, 2016 11:18 AM
  • It's not uncommon for boards to go through revisions, agreed. However, the board support package should take care of any differences. The claims I am seeing is that "V1.2 should work" but it doesn't, so I am disinclined to believe that is a correct assessment. Mine is V1.2 and it didn't come from either Element14 or RS.

By the way, I bought my board as soon as it was available and V1.2 is what I got. I think that was probably the first available version.

The fact that Raspbian works everywhere on all boards also suggests to me that pointing to hardware revisions is a smoke screen. Somewhere a bad assumption has been made that means something is out of tolerance on some boards. It's a bug. A big fat hairy one.

The perceived inaction over this showstopper issue is seriously hurting the reputation of Windows IoT Core. Microsoft should do *something* to get people working again immediately, even if that means making the older build without Wi-Fi support available again, temporarily or immediately issuing a new build with the WiFi fixes that were supposedly left out of the last build.

--Tim Long

Tim Long

Thursday, June 23, 2016 11:39 AM
  • It's good to have an ETA, thank you. I take back my earlier comment about not providing an ETA ;-)

Tim Long

Thursday, June 23, 2016 11:43 AM
  • the operating system manufacturer is not responsible if the underlying hardware changes without notice or updated bsp's

you could ask yourself why a dragonboard or a minnowboard max did not have the issues

if you want stability the preferred option should be to use boards from companies where industry related concerns are major focus

Thursday, June 23, 2016 11:53 AM
  • Hi Folks,

I can confirm that we definitely are hitting hardware differences in both SD cards (Manufacturer, size and speed) and Pi boards. (Element 14, RS and Allied boards are not the same!).

I would like to thank you again for both being early adopters and using pre-release bits. It is expected that pre-release will have bugs and we were able to address these very quickly with all of the great information provided.

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Thursday, June 23, 2016 5:02 PM
  • Thank you for confirming this, IoTGirl. I think you can tell from my previous posts that frustration has been running a little high. However, it is good to see that this is now being activeley managed so I will do my best to dial it back a notch :)

Out of curiosity, what differences are you seeing between the boards? Is this something I might need to take up with my supplier, because if what you're saying is correct, it seems like several different products are being sold as a "Raspberry Pi 3". By the way, my supplier was none mentioned so far. Is there some identifying mark that lets me tell which 'variant' I have?

I am encouraged that Raspbian has no problems running on any of the variants, so clearly a solution is possible. However, I would rather have a stable build without Wi-Fi than a fully featured build that is not bootable. If it is not possible to come up with a solution sooner rather than later, I would rather the offending features were removed so I can get on with my development projects.

Thank you for listening.

Tim Long

Thursday, June 23, 2016 5:25 PM
  • Hi Tim,

Unfortunately, Raspberry Pi 3 came out after we shipped the stable version 10586.  My recommendation would be to use a Raspberry Pi2 and stay with the release builds.

If you do plan to ship an industrial project you might also want to try the option from Toradex

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Thursday, June 23, 2016 5:33 PM
  • There was a Raspbery Pi 3 build that came out which didn't have Wi-Fi or BlueTooth support enabled. Unfortunately I can't remember the build number but it was the first one that claimed that it worked with Raspberry Pi 3. That build was stable and worked well enough. Could I have access to that build again please?

Best regards,

Tim Long

Thursday, June 23, 2016 6:27 PM
  • Hi Tim,

That build had other issues and has aged out. If you had a copy, it will auto update to 14342.  Can you use 14342?

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Thursday, June 23, 2016 6:37 PM
  • Unfortunately both of the currently available Insider builds have major stability issues to the point where they are unusable. That is, they won’t boot, or sometimes the will boot but then crash after a few seconds.

It’s not a hardware issue, I can run Raspbian fine and it’s perfectly stable.

On one occasion I got build 14322 to boot and run and it worked for a few days, albeit with random lock-ups requiring a power cycle, but it was enough to do some debugging. Then suddenly out of the blue, the Wi-Fi adapter appeared on the dashboard, but before I could configure it the thing froze again and then I was back to not booting. That’s how it’s been ever since.

Someone said “leave the network cable disconnected” so I thought I’d give that a try, earlier today. I did a fresh re-image and it survived the first boot, but after changing the machine name (which requires a restart) I’m straight back to non-booting.

I’ll wait for the next build, which I think you said should be “by the end of the week”. Hopefully that will fix the stability issue.

Best regards,

Tim Long

Thursday, June 23, 2016 6:51 PM
  • Hi Tim,

Zeeshan just posted https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/f8d1b593-cc55-4004-b415-707c5cf7d745/change-telemetry-settings?forum=WindowsIoT. If you turn on telemetry, we will get dumps from your device allowing us to see the state of the device at the point your issue is occurring.

Could you try turning this on? 

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Thursday, June 23, 2016 8:10 PM
  • Hi IoT Girl

Is the response regarding the new build still valid? Can we expect a new build in 2 days? It would save me quite a lot of time if it comes out.

Friday, June 24, 2016 7:30 PM
  • Hi Krishnan,

See https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/c8e1cf9a-137b-4376-ad97-ba05262a4b0f/update-to-100143660-i2c-read-command-no-more-working-?forum=WindowsIoT for David's latest response.  Looks like Monday now but I know he is hoping for sooner.

NOTE: The full build of 14366 is now available for download (It will not download via update, it can only be applied by reflashing the SD card). 

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Friday, June 24, 2016 8:06 PM
  • Hi IoTGirl

Thanks for the new build. But unfortunately it doesn't help. Actually its worse. I flashed my SD card(Microsoft recommended card) and got the new build installed. Then I inserted it into my Pi 3 (its an original one bought from store) and gave power. It showed the rainbow screen and then the boot screen..but that's it. Again it moves to rainbow screen and then boot screen in a loop. :( I cant even start it up for the first time.

Monday, June 27, 2016 2:06 PM
  • @Krishnan_Unni you have nothing connected except psu and monitor?

how many amps is the psu able to deliver?

Monday, June 27, 2016 2:10 PM
  • @cyberh0me I have Just my Lan cable, power and HDMI to monitor connected to it. I have a GPIO extension connected to a breadboard but its just plain (no wirings or power). The PSU is standard usb charger adapter connected to the standard US wall socket.

Its Output:  DC 5V, 750 mA. Input: Ac 100-240V, 50-60Hz, 120mA

This is used to charge my Lumia phone and this worked with the previous build, at least to boot up the first time.

The only miss which I feel I made is the WiFi. I checked the Wifi box in the IoT Dashboard whileflashing the SD even though no profiles were found.

Monday, June 27, 2016 2:22 PM
  • https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/hardware/raspberrypi/power/README.md

you should buy a psu with at least 2 amps, wifi requires a lot of power

so best you buy the one pi foundation mention with ~2.5 amps

Monday, June 27, 2016 2:23 PM
  • Yes, 2.5 recommended, but it was told any mobile charging adapter would work. So I didn't bother to check especially since the same worked for the previous build. May be that was luck. So let me try with a proper charger. Will update you after that.

Also I just tried re-flashing with Wi-Fi unchecked and GPIO disconnected totally, still same result.

Monday, June 27, 2016 2:28 PM
  • i can tell you "any mobile charger will work" is absolutely false, mobile chargers starting with usb 2 spec = 500ma
    Monday, June 27, 2016 2:34 PM
  • @IoTGirl/cyberh0me

Thank you for the help. I tried the new build 14366 on a SD from scratch. Used a 2A adapter(temporary, ordered a 2.5A) to power the Pi 3 and started it with no additional peripherals connected. Voila! worked like a charm. I tried the restart, shut down, Wi-Fi detection and connectivity, remote connection, app loading features many times. All the time it gave perfect results. No issues. This is almost the perfect build I ever got. Almost. Because there are two issues that I noticed.

1) The OS is slow (startup/post startup). Boot time is around 30 to 45 seconds every time I tried. I thought it was the first time blues but it wasn't. After startup, the OS responsiveness is slow, like, to navigate to various options (only 3 are there) and back it takes 3 seconds at least.

Workarounds: None found.

2) The device was never detected by the IoT Dashboard. I tried all options, with Wi-Fi, Ethernet, restart and all, but none worked.

Workaround: I can ping the IP from the same machine where dashboard is installed, so I was able to open the device portal from my browser using the IP in the same machine.

From a productivity perspective none of this is an issue and I understand its supposed to have issues. I just pointed it out here so that it helps others if they face the same issues and to help the owners to work on these issues for the next build. I'll update it if I find anything else.

Once again, thank you all.

Tuesday, June 28, 2016 3:19 PM
  • @Krishnan_Unni you should open your own question if you want to address your issues (unrelated to the existing thread) 

but regarding slow boot there is nothing you can do except use a dragonboard as this board boots faster than pi (flash vs sd card difference)

Tuesday, June 28, 2016 3:41 PM