none
Repaired my Office installation over 10 times now RRS feed

• Question

• I'm being tasked by our company for Visual Studio Office Solution development and i need to research which setup (VS + Microsoft Office) is best.

Our company currently has licensed 2007 and 2010 enterprise. The 2010 license is however, only for higher ranked officers with corporate email accounts so i suppose VS 2010 / VS 2008 + Office 2007 wins.

All i had is "Cannot open the workbook in designer, to fix the problem repair your installation of Office". I've repaired my Office installation over 10 times now including uninstalling everything for setting up my PC for Office Solutions but nothing seems to work and no, i am not running side-by-side installations of Microsoft Office.

I even compromised my setup, trying to install 2013, 2008, anything that has trial version on it, but so far only VS 2013 + Office 2013 works. Ironically 2013 is the only thing that is not going to be okay-ed by management because our company has over 10.000 employees and there's not a slightest chance they are going to purchase 2013 because the majority of the employees are still using 2007.

The only thing that i haven't done is to reinstall my Windows completely and come on Microsoft, if i were to go that far for Office Solution development what am i supposed to do when my coworkers jumped into the boat? Because we didn't just develop only Office Solution, we also need to setup the environment for other developments.

And also, my environment is 64 bit and the framework being used is 4.0
    • Edited by hauw2 Friday, February 21, 2014 2:33 AM
    Friday, February 21, 2014 2:09 AM

Answers

• Hello hauw2,

Please take a look at the Configuring a Computer to Develop Office Solutions article in MSDN. It describes all the steps required for starting developing VSTO solutions for Office 2007 with Visual Studio 2010.

Note, the Office primary interop assemblies (PIAs) must be installed and registered in the global assembly cache to perform the development tasks. The PIAs are installed with Office by default. If you modify Office setup, make sure that the .NET Programmability Support feature is selected for the applications you want to target.

Also please take a look at the How to: Configure a Computer to Develop Office Solutions article.

• Marked as answer by Marvin_Guo Monday, March 3, 2014 1:49 AM
    Friday, February 21, 2014 8:42 AM