none
Checking if .NET CORE is installed for using in Unity RRS feed

• Question

• Hope I'm not doing a dumb question =P

So... Since Unity 5.2 we can use .NET CORE 5.0 to build our projects, right?
    And this version of .NET is Open Source and can be found in a GIT Repository, right?

But how can we make sure we are using the correct version in Unity?

I mean, for the other versions of .NET we downloaded a installer and I could check it was installed by listing the applications in the configuration panel, just like any app. For .NET Core, I downloaded the repository, and that's it... I guess it was installed some-when during Unity 5.3 or VS2015 installation because when I try to build applications for Windows UWP or Windows Store in Unity I have the option to use .NET Core. However, every time I try to build applications, I receive a bunch of errors regarding to missing libraries and so... And this makes me think that maybe .NET Core is not installed correctly or maybe not even installed =P... But then, how can I know if it is installed or not if I can not see it in the application list in my control panel? <- Then, maybe if it is not in the App list, it mean that is not installed, but then the question is: how to install it? I still could not find anything regarding to installation in the repository I downloaded...

Thanks a lot for any help and sorry again if it is a dumb question =P
    Tuesday, January 12, 2016 2:55 PM

All replies

• Hi Alexandre Greluk Szykman,

Thank you for posting in MSDN forum.

>> how to install it?

For your question, I did a research about .NET CORE 5.0, It is not included in .NET Framework, but installed by NuGet Package Manager. When you open Visual Studio, tools>NuGet Package Manager and install all the .NET CORE.

NuGet as a first class delivery vehicle

In contrast to the .NET Framework, the .NET Core platform will be delivered as a set of NuGet packages. We’ve settled on NuGet because that’s where the majority of the library ecosystem already is.

Please refer to the following blog:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/dotnet/archive/2014/12/04/introducing-net-core.aspx

Best Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, January 13, 2016 5:55 AM
  • Thank you so much Lana Xu!

This still does not solve the problem with the bugs, but helps a lot. I tried to download all the packages with NuGet and I had some problems with some of them and the game is still not building. But this open space for more research to be done. Thanks!
    Wednesday, January 13, 2016 7:42 PM

Do you have any solution for solving the problem?Do you download the .NET CORE 5.0 successfully?

If so , please share your result here, it will benefit for other members who meet similar issue as yours.

Best Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Friday, January 15, 2016 9:01 AM
  • Hello Lana Xu.

Now I could see it. Thanks!

However, I could not install the packages I need... The error is:

Severity Code Description Project File Line Suppression State
    Error Could not install package 'Microsoft.Kinect 2.0.1410.19000'. You are trying to install this package into a project that targets '.NETFramework,Version=v3.5,Profile=Unity Full v3.5', but the package does not contain any assembly references or content files that are compatible with that framework. For more information, contact the package author. 0

Do you think there is anyway to make it work with the .NET version used in Unity? 

Thanks again!
    Alex

Friday, January 15, 2016 6:43 PM

Sorry for my delay reply.

>>You are trying to install this package into a project that targets '.NETFramework,Version=v3.5,Profile=Unity Full v3.5', but the package does not contain any assembly references or content files that are compatible with that framework

Maybe the .net framework you download doesn't contain the right assembly references,

You may refer to Microsoft. NET Core 5.0.0 and the dependencies and re-install it:https://www.nuget.org/packages/Microsoft.NETCore/

Best Regards,

Tuesday, January 19, 2016 8:42 AM
  • Hello Lana Xu!

No problem at all!

But I could not install .NET Core as wel, and for the same reason. I copied the error at the end of this message.
    Would you suggest anything?

Thanks!
    Alex

------------------------

Install failed. Rolling back...
    Package 'Microsoft.CSharp.4.0.0 : ' does not exist in project 'ImagineCup.CSharp.Plugins'
    Package 'Microsoft.CSharp.4.0.0 : ' does not exist in folder 'D:\Local\HTW\ImagineCup\packages'
    Install-Package : Could not install package 'Microsoft.CSharp 4.0.0'. You are trying to install this package into a project that targets '.NETFramework,Version=v3.5,Profile=Unity Subset v3.5', but the package does 
    not contain any assembly references or content files that are compatible with that framework. For more information, contact the package author.
    At line:1 char:1
    + Install-Package Microsoft.NETCore -Version 5.0.0
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Install-Package], Exception
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : NuGetCmdletUnhandledException,NuGet.PackageManagement.PowerShellCmdlets.InstallPackageCommand

Tuesday, January 19, 2016 11:18 PM
  • Hi Alex,

I did a research about the rolling back issue, seems some one have met similar issue as yours, you may refer to the thread below to see if there is any solution for you:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8314400/nuget-add-reference-error-while-installing-packages

If the problem still persists, I think I'm not able to solve the issue, but I will invite Microsoft senior engineer for further troubleshooting.

Best Regards,

Wednesday, January 20, 2016 5:17 AM
  • Hello Lana Xu.

Unfortunately I could not solve the problem with this new link. I tried all the solutions I could from there. I believe that the ones with best potential were deleting the all the packages and trying to re-install them and uninstalling and re-installing the entity framework. Even with these tries, I am still not able to install the .NET Core framework in my solution. I would appreciate if you could contact the senior engineer as you told.

Thanks again!
    Alex 
    Monday, January 25, 2016 11:37 PM
  • Hi Alex,

So sorry that I was not able to help you solve this issue, I have invited senior engineer for dedicated support.

Best Regards,

Tuesday, January 26, 2016 2:00 AM
  • Unity is only compatible with .NET 2.0 (.NET 3.5 is built in top of 2.0, so in practice you can think of 3.5 as just being extensions of 2.0).

Components from newer .NET versions including NET 4.5 or .NET Core will not work. This is what the error messages you are seeing are trying to tell you.

However if you are developing for Unity there is no real pressing reason to use .NET Core. The main benefits of .NET Core are the cross platform compatibility and modularity. Unity already has cross-platform support using Mono, and the modularity should not be a big deal.

Perhaps one day Unity will integrate with .NET Core... given Unity's focus on cross-platform capability like .NET Core it is a move that would make sense. But, not today.

As a side note, the solution you were attempting to perform wit nuget would not have given you .NET Core. You were installing .NET Core LIBRARIES, which need .NET Core or .NET Framework 4.6 to function... the error indicated you were trying to install them onto a .NET Framework 2.0/3.5 project (what Unity uses) which was not compatible. .NET Core is modular, and once you install the .NET Core itself, you can then install more libraries from nuget into a project to add functionality that was previously part of the .NET Framework in 4.6 and below.
    • Edited by The MAZZTer Thursday, September 22, 2016 8:57 PM
    Thursday, September 22, 2016 8:54 PM