none
Amazingly Confusing UI - Visual Studio/MSDN Subscriptions and Azure RRS feed

• General discussion

• I subscribe to "Visual Studio Professional - annual" and web UIs for managing this subscription are so incredibly confusing and poorly designed it's almost impossible to tell what's going where, if it's actually been paid and with what payment method.

(NOTE: I'm redacting personal information for obvious reasons.)

Subscription UI and Billing

On Visual Studio.net under Subscriptions (https://my.visualstudio.com/subscriptions) it shows:

Visual Studio Professional - annual aXXX8XXX-XXXc-XXXX-XXXa-XXXXXXXXXXX1

Yet in Azure portal, which is actually used to do the billing the only subscription listed is:

Pay-As-You-Go cXXXXXXX-XXdX-XXXX-XXX6-XXXXXXXXXXX0

Since I don't use any Azure services, it's always $0.00.

Nowhere on Azure does it show the Visual Studio subscription, except on Billing Overview where it shows the Visual Studio fee included in the "Total Billed" value.   It does not anywhere show what that amount went to unless you click on "Billing", then "Invoices" then the (never charged) "Pay-As-You-Go" subscription and download the PDF with the non-zero amount by it.

Shouldn't the Visual Studio subscription show up in Azure?

Simply put, it should look like this:

Simple!

Payment Methods

Also on "Billing" is "Payment Methods", but it won't let you add, manage or delete them here.   It also won't tell you where you actually need to go to do that.    The logical place is this pane under "Billing".

Instead, you need to click on "Subscriptions", then "Pay-As-You-Go cXXXXXXX-XXdX-XXXX-XXX6-XXXXXXXXXXX0".

Inexplicably, a separate Billing UI appears under this, except this time "Payment Methods" it says you can't do this here but has a link that takes you to the "Account Center" which is under a completely different Azure UI.

This screen shows yet another ID that doesn't appear anywhere else, your order ID "6XXXXXX1-3XXX-XXXX-XXdX-XXXXXXXXXXXc".

Here too, the Visual Studio subscription is not referenced except with amounts in "Billing History" and the PDF invoice downloads.

Concluding Remarks

Azure's entire UI system is a complete mess.  

It's difficult to find the information you need

There are duplicated functions as subsets of other menu options that do not work the same and present different information.

How much time is wasted by customers trying to find information and end up having to contact support, which wastes there time too helping the customer find information that should've been right there when they should be helping someone with a more serious issue.

• Edited by Skolia Friday, February 17, 2017 12:39 AM
    Friday, February 17, 2017 12:35 AM

All replies

• I subscribe to "Visual Studio Professional - annual" and web UIs for managing this subscription are so incredibly confusing and poorly designed it's almost impossible to tell what's going where, if it's actually been paid and with what payment method.

(NOTE: I'm redacting personal information for obvious reasons.)

Subscription UI and Billing

On Visual Studio.net under Subscriptions (https://my.visualstudio.com/subscriptions) it shows:

Yet in Azure portal, which is actually used to do the billing the only subscription listed is:

Since I don't use any Azure services, it's always $0.00.

Nowhere on Azure does it show the Visual Studio subscription, except on Billing Overview where it shows the Visual Studio fee included in the "Total Billed" value.   It does not anywhere show what that amount went to unless you click on "Billing", then "Invoices" then the (never charged) "Pay-As-You-Go" subscription and download the PDF with the non-zero amount by it.

Shouldn't the Visual Studio subscription show up in Azure?

Simply put, it should look like this:

Simple!

Payment Methods

Also on "Billing" is "Payment Methods", but it won't let you add, manage or delete them here.   It also won't tell you where you actually need to go to do that.    The logical place is this pane under "Billing".

Instead, you need to click on "Subscriptions", then "Pay-As-You-Go cXXXXXXX-XXdX-XXXX-XXX6-XXXXXXXXXXX0".

Inexplicably, a separate Billing UI appears under this, except this time "Payment Methods" it says you can't do this here but has a link that takes you to the "Account Center" which is under a completely different Azure UI.

This screen shows yet another ID that doesn't appear anywhere else, your order ID "6XXXXXX1-3XXX-XXXX-XXdX-XXXXXXXXXXXc".

Here too, the Visual Studio subscription is not referenced except with amounts in "Billing History" and the PDF invoice downloads.

Concluding Remarks

Azure's entire UI system is a complete mess.  

It's difficult to find the information you need

There are duplicated functions as subsets of other menu options that do not work the same and present different information.

How much time is wasted by customers trying to find information and end up having to contact support, which wastes there time too helping the customer find information that should've been right there when they should be helping someone with a more serious issue.

Dear Skolia,

Thanks for your valuable feedback, additional to this please do contact the Visual Studio Subscription support and your regional Azure support to leave your feedback directly.

https://www.visualstudio.com/subscriptions/support/

Thanks,
    prathaprabhu

If my reply is useful please mark it as answered as it help other users with the same query. I am a Microsoft Partner, MVP and MCC and I want to become One Day Microsoft CEO.

Friday, March 24, 2017 6:17 AM
  • Its two years later and this post is no less true than when it was first posted.

Who the heck do they put in charge of the organization of these sites?

It's a god damned mobius strip that makes you go in circles without ever finding what it is you need.

Super unfriendly, huge wastes of time. Very frustrating.

Saturday, February 22, 2020 9:22 PM