Update 2 causes catastrophic failure to prior app RRS feed

• Question

• The update 2 release has introduced a catastrophic crash in a pre-existing application. We talked previously within this forum of a Dispatcher pattern for a Search screen. A Search Jobs screen displays a list of jobs in different states (Draft, Live, Cancelled, etc). When selected/clicked all jobs open the default JobDetail screen. The Create event evaluates Job state data and then opens an appropriate screen to handle the job in a JobDetailDraft, JobDetailLive, screen etc... This worked pretty well, but not any longer. The JobDetail screen reports a memory corruption and dies. Help?

thanks, Steve

Steve

Saturday, May 4, 2013 6:56 AM

Answers

• Update 2 is faster... bad news in our case ?!?

We've been developing on VMware Workstation 9.0.1/2 with Win7 & Win8 and are using Lightswitch across a broad spectrum of projects.

After Upgrade 2 I started getting random crashes, previously builds that were working aren't any longer, a total nightmare.

I just happened to be running VSLSU2 on a Win8 base machine - no VM and had no errors. I undertook a raft of tests and found if I don't develop on WMware Workstation it all works as before, and as expected.

A bit more digging and found Silverlight 5 on VMware/Fusion is unstable. We were just lucky before...

So great upgrade, and I mean very pleased with the new features, just annoying we uncovered this bug with VMware & Silverlight.

Thanks,

Steve

Steve

• Marked as answer by SteveHiggon Monday, May 6, 2013 12:28 PM
    Monday, May 6, 2013 12:28 PM

All replies

• Update 2 is faster... bad news in our case ?!?

We've been developing on VMware Workstation 9.0.1/2 with Win7 & Win8 and are using Lightswitch across a broad spectrum of projects.

After Upgrade 2 I started getting random crashes, previously builds that were working aren't any longer, a total nightmare.

I just happened to be running VSLSU2 on a Win8 base machine - no VM and had no errors. I undertook a raft of tests and found if I don't develop on WMware Workstation it all works as before, and as expected.

A bit more digging and found Silverlight 5 on VMware/Fusion is unstable. We were just lucky before...

So great upgrade, and I mean very pleased with the new features, just annoying we uncovered this bug with VMware & Silverlight.

Thanks,

Steve

Steve

• Marked as answer by SteveHiggon Monday, May 6, 2013 12:28 PM
    Monday, May 6, 2013 12:28 PM
  • Hi Steve,

I had same problem with U2 because it force an upagrade to version 3 of Lightswitch projects. After conversion, Visual Studio crashed during projects loading and were not way to open it.

I read some solution in forum, and this in my solution, hoping is usefull for you too.

Start with a new empty LS V2 project. Copy from your LS V2 project into new one this files:

• oldproject/server/properties/service.lsml  --> newproject/server/properties/service.lsml 
    • oldproject/client/properties/client.lsml  --> newproject/server/properties/service.lsml
    • oldproject/common/properties/common.lsml  --> newproject/common/properties/service.lsml

Now, you are able to load project and convert to V3.

Next step is copy:

• oldproject/Client/UserCode -> newproject/Client/UserCode
    • oldproject/Server/UserCode -> newproject/Server/UserCode
    • oldproject/Common/UserCode -> newproject/Server/UserCode/Shared

Hoping I could help ...

Tuesday, May 7, 2013 8:25 AM