none
What's happened to the Binary Editor in VS 2017?

Question

• In Visual Studio versions for many years (since 2002?) the File|Open|File dialog has included a split button for the "Open" button in the dialog - clicking the drop-down brings up the "Open With..." dialog, where we can choose which editor to use.

Since time immemorial one of the choices has been "Binary Editor", but now, in VS 2017 RTM Enterprise, I don't see that option any more.  This make me sad - it means I cannot ever migrate completely away from VS2015 because the binary editor, while used infrequently, is invaluable when needed.

Am I just missing something, or is it truly gone?

-cd Mark the best replies as answers!

Tuesday, March 28, 2017 3:45 PM

Answers

• I see what it is - the Binary editor is part of the "C++ Workflow", which I haven't installed in 2017.  Should be part of the core IDE, IMO, just like the basic text editor is.

Adding just the "Visual C++ core desktop features" component to VS2017 brings in the binary editor (and only adds 93Mb of size - no need to bring in the whole SDK, compilers, etc, just to get the IDE support - yay!)

Tuesday, March 28, 2017 11:23 PM

All replies

• The Binary Editor is available in VS 2017.  It is one of the last option in the Editor selection.

Personally I don't use the binary editor in VS. I used HexEdit which allows me to set up template for binary files such that I don't have to keep manually jumping to certain addresses.

Tuesday, March 28, 2017 5:11 PM
  • It's not there in my VS2017 installation.  Something must be amiss.

Tuesday, March 28, 2017 7:27 PM
  • I did File\Open File to get to it. I'm running the latest update.
    Tuesday, March 28, 2017 8:00 PM
  • I see what it is - the Binary editor is part of the "C++ Workflow", which I haven't installed in 2017.  Should be part of the core IDE, IMO, just like the basic text editor is.

Adding just the "Visual C++ core desktop features" component to VS2017 brings in the binary editor (and only adds 93Mb of size - no need to bring in the whole SDK, compilers, etc, just to get the IDE support - yay!)

Tuesday, March 28, 2017 11:23 PM