Silverlight in Acropolis? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Are there currently any plans of incorporating support for Silverlight applications into Acropolis?

Thursday, June 7, 2007 8:12 AM

Answers

• herbjörn  - this is an interesting question, and one we have spent some time thinking about.   We do think there scenarios where customers will want to aggregate parts of their applications which are written in HTML, JavaScript and, yes, even Silverlight.  You can already do that today to some degree via hosting the BrowserControl in an acropolis part, but clearly there is deeper integration we can do a la connection points, etc.

Kevin  - Kevin, you make a good point as well, but the complexity of “web” apps is increasing, there may be a time when even web applications need the sort of application-centric model acropolis offers…

Friday, June 8, 2007 2:34 AM

All replies

• I'm not sure why you would do this... Silverlight is a platform for producing cross-platform Rich Internet Applications using XAML and a subset of the .NET Framework on top of a cross-platform CLR.

Acropolis is a framework for using Composite development techniques to make building powerful, complex applications quickly with a high degree of reliability gained from testing and re-use.

I don't see how the two would find a useful integration point as I think any Silverlight application large and complex enough to warrant the use of something like a Composite Application Block or Acropolis would be a mismatch of technology. An app that complex belongs as a smart client, not an RIA.

Thursday, June 7, 2007 2:28 PM
  • herbjörn  - this is an interesting question, and one we have spent some time thinking about.   We do think there scenarios where customers will want to aggregate parts of their applications which are written in HTML, JavaScript and, yes, even Silverlight.  You can already do that today to some degree via hosting the BrowserControl in an acropolis part, but clearly there is deeper integration we can do a la connection points, etc.

Kevin  - Kevin, you make a good point as well, but the complexity of “web” apps is increasing, there may be a time when even web applications need the sort of application-centric model acropolis offers…

Friday, June 8, 2007 2:34 AM
  • Oh, I'm not doubting that Web apps are increasing in complexity, I'm simply saying that in my opinion, the vast majority of the heavy lifting of a Silverlight application should be done by services... which of course fits into the Acropolis model a bit... I think rather than having Acropolis work on both WPF and Silverlight simultaneously, we could potentially have two different design surfaces - one tailored for compositing Web apps with WCF services, Silverlight apps, JavaScript, ASP.NET host pages, etc - this would be a fantastic thing to have a nice framework around to both enforce patterns and provide prescriptive guidance.
    Friday, June 8, 2007 7:29 PM