none
How to make search box work properly RRS feed

• Question

• I have two documents. The names are "TEST_A_REPORT(MS setting on)" and "TEST_B_REPORT(MS setting off)".

I tried to search them using search box.

when input "setting on", "TEST_A_REPORT(MS setting on)" came out.

when input "setting off", "TEST_B_REPORT(MS setting off)" came out.

But when I input "setting", only "TEST_B_REPORT(MS setting off)" came out.

Why?? How can I solve this problem?

Thursday, April 18, 2019 8:59 AM

Answers

• Hi Jeff,

This scenario may be caused by SharePoint Word Breaking rules. Word breakers split a stream of text into individual words or tokens, which improve search results, but also leads to inaccurate search results.

You can try adding wildcard operator (*) after your keyword such as “setting”. The image below shows an example. 

In addition, SharePoint 2013 tries to trim out search results it considers duplicate. Add a search result web part to your page, set “Remove Duplicates” into “Don’t remove duplicates” from the query settings page. 

Search again to see the results.

Best regards,

Chelsea Wu

• Marked as answer by Jeff_Hu Monday, April 22, 2019 8:25 AM
    Friday, April 19, 2019 9:25 AM

All replies

• Hi Jeff,

This scenario may be caused by SharePoint Word Breaking rules. Word breakers split a stream of text into individual words or tokens, which improve search results, but also leads to inaccurate search results.

You can try adding wildcard operator (*) after your keyword such as “setting”. The image below shows an example. 

In addition, SharePoint 2013 tries to trim out search results it considers duplicate. Add a search result web part to your page, set “Remove Duplicates” into “Don’t remove duplicates” from the query settings page. 

Search again to see the results.

Best regards,

Chelsea Wu

• Marked as answer by Jeff_Hu Monday, April 22, 2019 8:25 AM
    Friday, April 19, 2019 9:25 AM
  • Thanks.. You are right. I tested in a search result web part. “Remove Duplicates”  can solve my problem..

But how could I avoid this problem by using site search box?

Monday, April 22, 2019 3:28 AM
  • Hi Jeff,

I’m afraid this situation can’t be avoided by simply using site search box in this scenario since “Remove duplicates” setting is only accessible from the query settings of the Search Result Web Part.

As a workaround, you can create a custom page, then add Search Box and Search Result Web Part to it.

Best regards,

Chelsea Wu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Monday, April 22, 2019 7:59 AM