none
Using IAsync with OdbcCommand RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, i am currently having a problem with IAsync and odbcCommand. Is it possible to use IAsyncResult with odbcCommand as i need it for multiple SQL queries.

The code that i use is as below 

Code Snippet

OdbcCommand inventoryCommand = new OdbcCommand(inventoryQuery, inventoryConnection);

IAsyncResult arInventory = inventoryCommand.ExecuteReader();

The error i get is:

Cannot implicitly convert type 'System.Data.Odbc.OdbcDataReader' to 'System.IAsyncResult'

Can someone help me with this problem? Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Monday, June 4, 2007 3:38 AM

All replies

• You could create a delegate with the same signature, and then call the generated BeginInvoke to get access to the AsyncCallback (and it's AsyncWaitHandle)...

Code Snippet

delegate OdbcDataReader AsyncReader();

OdbcCommand cmd = null;
    IAsyncResult result = new AsyncReader( cmd.ExecuteReader ).BeginInvoke( null, null );
    // do something with result.AsyncWaitHandle;

Monday, June 4, 2007 6:07 AM
  • Thanks for your reply timvw, do u mind explaining a bit about the code that you have written? I gt an error when i placed the code inside the Button_Click.

The code is as below. 

Code Snippet

protected void Button1_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)

{

string inventory = WebConfigurationManager.ConnectionStrings["rockwellConnectionString"].ConnectionString;

using (OdbcConnection inventoryConnection = new OdbcConnection(inventory))

{

string inventorySearch = search.Text;

inventoryConnection.Open();

string inventoryQuery = "Select Part_number, imageUrl, drawingUrl, Description, Total_Quantity, On_Order, Quantity_In_Stock, Vendor_Name, Category_Name from vendor, logix_asset_list, logix_asset_list_category where logix_asset_list.logix_asset_list_category_id = logic_asset_list_category.logix_asset_list_category_id and logix_asset_list.Vendor_ID = vendor.Vendor_ID and Part_Number Like '%"+@inventorySearch+"%'";

OdbcCommand inventoryCommand = new OdbcCommand(inventoryQuery,inventoryConnection);

inventoryCommand.CommandType = CommandType.Text;

inventoryCommand.Parameters.Add("@inventorySearch", OdbcType.Text).Value = inventorySearch;

delegate OdbcDataReader AsyncDataReader();

OdbcCommand cmd = null;

IAsyncResult arInventory = new AsyncDataReader(cmd.ExecuteReader).BeginInvoke(null,null);

}

}

The error message is: } expected 

Type or namespace definition, or end-of-file expected

Monday, June 4, 2007 6:48 AM
  • Thanks for your reply timvw, do u mind explaining a bit about the code that you have written? I gt an error when i placed the code inside the Button_Click.

The code is as below. 

Code Snippet

protected void Button1_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)

{

string inventory = WebConfigurationManager.ConnectionStrings["rockwellConnectionString"].ConnectionString;

using (OdbcConnection inventoryConnection = new OdbcConnection(inventory))

{

string inventorySearch = search.Text;

inventoryConnection.Open();

string inventoryQuery = "Select Part_number, imageUrl, drawingUrl, Description, Total_Quantity, On_Order, Quantity_In_Stock, Vendor_Name, Category_Name from vendor, logix_asset_list, logix_asset_list_category where logix_asset_list.logix_asset_list_category_id = logic_asset_list_category.logix_asset_list_category_id and logix_asset_list.Vendor_ID = vendor.Vendor_ID and Part_Number Like '%"+@inventorySearch+"%'";

OdbcCommand inventoryCommand = new OdbcCommand(inventoryQuery,inventoryConnection);

inventoryCommand.CommandType = CommandType.Text;

inventoryCommand.Parameters.Add("@inventorySearch", OdbcType.Text).Value = inventorySearch;

delegate OdbcDataReader AsyncDataReader();

OdbcCommand cmd = null;

IAsyncResult arInventory = new AsyncDataReader(cmd.ExecuteReader).BeginInvoke(null,null);

}

}

The error message is: } expected 

Type or namespace definition, or end-of-file expected

Monday, June 4, 2007 6:48 AM
  • I've got the feeling that you absolutely do not understand the code... Declaring a delegate should be outside a method definition

Code Snippet

delegate ...

void button_Click(...)
    {
    }

And you should create an instance of the delegate that points to the ExecuteReader method on the instance that you're using...

Code Snippet

new AsyncDataReader(inventoryCommand.ExecuteReader)

Monday, June 4, 2007 7:49 AM