none
How to open excel 2016 workbook through OleDbConnection RRS feed

• Question

• I need my program (vb.net) to open a protected excel sheet that is read only, query a value in a text box, and return the query into a message box.

I got it to work with OLEDBConnections, but it seems I cannot pass a password to excel using this method. Any suggestions?

Here is my code snippet in OLEDB

MyConnection = New System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnection("Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0;Data Source=" + excel + "; Extended Properties=Excel 12.0;")
                MyCommand = New System.Data.OleDb.OleDbDataAdapter("select * from [Operating$] where ID LIKE " & txtID.Text & "", MyConnection)

Without a password, this works going into a datagridview. How would I get it into a message box?

Wednesday, November 27, 2019 11:32 PM

All replies

• Hello,

After testing, I found that using OLEDB to connect to Excel, I could not read the password-protected and read-only excel file.

It is recommended that you use the Microsoft.Office.Interop component to open it.

xlApp = New Excel.Application
    xlWorkBook = xlApp.Workbooks.Open("D:\protect.xlsx", [ReadOnly]:=False, Password:="123")

Best Regards,

Julie

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, November 29, 2019 10:03 AM
  • Hello,

OleDb data provider can not open an Excel file with a password. The following page shows all possibilities but no password.

Options  EPPlus library or ExcelReader.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmarked them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.

NuGet BaseConnectionLibrary for database connections.

StackOverFlow
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange

Friday, November 29, 2019 10:30 AM
  • I understand, but then how to I do a select statement? For example, I am looking at a textbox. If a user types in 1234, I need to find 1234 in the excel and the corresponding values in the row.

for example: Textbox="1234"

Find value in excel for "1234". It finds the value in Cell A23, and return should return the values in cells A23= "1234", +A24= New York, +A25= zip codes  all in a Message Prompt.

I do not know how to do that with Interlop. With OLEDB, I can do a select statement.

Friday, November 29, 2019 3:38 PM
  • Hi,

As I told you earlier, there is no way to open password protected Excel files and create Excel queries using OleDb.

You can use COM components to achieve similar query functions, but it is not as good as the SQL statement query in OleDb. So if you want to use a password, it is recommended that you use a database to accomplish this task.

As for using the Com component, I have a simple demo for you. The main purpose is to interact with the contents of the Excel file and the DataTable, and then simply filter the DataTable. The results are as follows:

The relevant code is as follows:

Imports Excel1 = Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel

Public Class Form1

Private Sub Button1_Click(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click
            Dim dt As DataTable = New DataTable()
            dt = GetDataFromExcelByCom(True)

Dim newdt As DataTable = New DataTable()
            newdt = dt.Clone()
            Dim rows As DataRow() = dt.[Select]("sno   like   '%" & TextBox1.Text & "%'")
            If rows.Count = 0 Then
                MsgBox("No data currently available!")
                Return
            End If

For Each row As DataRow In rows
                newdt.Rows.Add(row.ItemArray)
                newdt.Columns.Remove("sage")
            Next
            DataGridView1.DataSource = newdt
        End Sub
        Private Function GetDataFromExcelByCom(ByVal Optional hasTitle As Boolean = False) As DataTable

Dim excelFilePath = "D:\protect.xlsx"
            Dim app As Excel1.Application = New Excel1.Application()
            Dim sheets As Excel1.Sheets
            Dim oMissiong As Object = System.Reflection.Missing.Value
            Dim workbook As Excel1.Workbook = Nothing

Try
                If app Is Nothing Then Return Nothing
                workbook = app.Workbooks.Add(excelFilePath)
                sheets = workbook.Worksheets
                Dim worksheet As Excel1.Worksheet = sheets(1)
                Dim ji As Integer = CType(12, Integer)
                If worksheet Is Nothing Then Return Nothing
                Dim iRowCount As Integer = worksheet.UsedRange.Rows.Count
                Dim iColCount As Integer = worksheet.UsedRange.Columns.Count

For i As Integer = 0 To iColCount - 1
                    Dim name = "column" & i

If hasTitle Then
                        Dim txt = (CType(worksheet.Cells(1, i + 1), Excel1.Range)).Text.ToString()
                        If Not String.IsNullOrWhiteSpace(txt) Then name = txt
                    End If

While dt.Columns.Contains(name)
                        name = name & "_1"
                    End While

dt.Columns.Add(New DataColumn(name, GetType(String)))
                Next

Dim range As Excel1.Range
                Dim rowIdx As Integer = If(hasTitle, 2, 1)

For iRow As Integer = rowIdx To iRowCount
                    Dim dr As DataRow = dt.NewRow()

For iCol As Integer = 1 To iColCount
                        range = CType(worksheet.Cells(iRow, iCol), Excel1.Range)
                        dr(iCol - 1) = If((range.Value2 Is Nothing), "", range.Text.ToString())
                    Next

dt.Rows.Add(dr)
                Next

Return dt
            Catch
                Return Nothing
            Finally
                workbook.Close(False, oMissiong, oMissiong)
                System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ReleaseComObject(workbook)
                workbook = Nothing
                app.Workbooks.Close()
                app.Quit()
                System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ReleaseComObject(app)
                app = Nothing
            End Try
        End Function

Private Sub Form1_Load(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
            Dim dt As DataTable = GetDataFromExcelByCom(True)
            DataGridView1.DataSource = dt
        End Sub
    End Class

Hope it be helpful.

Best Regards,

Julie

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, December 2, 2019 10:21 AM
  • Yes, this looks something that I need to do. Any chance putting comments in the code so I can better understand why you are doing certain actions?
    Monday, December 2, 2019 11:14 PM
  • Hi,

I have added comments where necessary to help you understand. Hope this example helps you.

Imports Excel1 = Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel

Public Class Form1

Private Sub Button1_Click(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click
            dt = GetDataFromExcelByCom(True)

'Create a newdt to filter the required data from the original dt
            Dim newdt As DataTable = New DataTable()
            newdt = dt.Clone()
            Dim rows As DataRow() = dt.[Select]("sno   like   '%" & TextBox1.Text & "%'")
            If rows.Count = 0 Then
                MsgBox("No data currently available!")
                Return
            End If

For Each row As DataRow In rows
                newdt.Rows.Add(row.ItemArray)
                newdt.Columns.Remove("sage") 'Delete unwanted columns
            Next
            DataGridView1.DataSource = newdt
        End Sub
        Private Function GetDataFromExcelByCom(ByVal Optional hasTitle As Boolean = False) As DataTable

Dim excelFilePath = "D:\protect.xlsx"
            Dim app As Excel1.Application = New Excel1.Application()
            Dim workbook As Excel1.Workbook = Nothing
            Dim sheets As Excel1.Sheets
            Dim oMissiong As Object = System.Reflection.Missing.Value ' pass an argument in an optional parameter position to a method with optional parameters

Try
                If app Is Nothing Then Return Nothing
                workbook = app.Workbooks.Add(excelFilePath)
                sheets = workbook.Worksheets
                Dim worksheet As Excel1.Worksheet = sheets(1) 'Open the first Sheet by default

'Sheet1 is nothing
                If worksheet Is Nothing Then Return Nothing
                'Sheet1 isnot nothing
                Dim iRowCount As Integer = worksheet.UsedRange.Rows.Count 'Number of valid rows
                Dim iColCount As Integer = worksheet.UsedRange.Columns.Count 'Number of valid columns

'Add column names
                For i As Integer = 0 To iColCount - 1
                    Dim name = "column" & i

If hasTitle Then
                        Dim txt = (CType(worksheet.Cells(1, i + 1), Excel1.Range)).Text.ToString()
                        If Not String.IsNullOrWhiteSpace(txt) Then name = txt
                    End If

While dt.Columns.Contains(name)
                        name = name & "_1"
                        MsgBox(name)
                    End While

dt.Columns.Add(New DataColumn(name, GetType(String)))
                Next

Dim range As Excel1.Range
                Dim rowIdx As Integer = If(hasTitle, 2, 1) 'If there is a column name, read from the second line, if there is no column name, read from the first line

'Write data to dt
                For iRow As Integer = rowIdx To iRowCount
                    Dim dr As DataRow = dt.NewRow()

For iCol As Integer = 1 To iColCount
                        range = CType(worksheet.Cells(iRow, iCol), Excel1.Range)
                        dr(iCol - 1) = If((range.Value2 Is Nothing), "", range.Text.ToString())
                    Next

dt.Rows.Add(dr)
                Next

Return dt
            Catch
                Return Nothing
            Finally
                workbook.Close(False, oMissiong, oMissiong) 'Close the open excel file and start garbage collection
                workbook = Nothing
                app.Workbooks.Close()
                app.Quit()
                app = Nothing
                GC.Collect()
            End Try
        End Function

Private Sub Form1_Load(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
            Dim dt As DataTable = GetDataFromExcelByCom(True)
            DataGridView1.DataSource = dt
        End Sub
    End Class

Hope it be helpful.

Best Regards,

Julie

Tuesday, December 3, 2019 5:30 AM
  • Thanks. 

A few questions.

1) Why did you load the datagrideview1 on loadform? it seems it is being called twice. Once on load, and once when clicking the button. This method opens my excel twice. 

2) it runs really slow. I mean really slow! What could cause that? There a 284 rows and 10 columns. Not a lot of data.

3) How would I open the excel with the password hardcoded? As of now, it prompts me.

Wednesday, December 4, 2019 4:09 PM
  • Hi,

1. That's just to let you see the contrast before and after, for your convenience, you can certainly not use it.

2. There is no doubt that OLEDB is faster than Interop objects in performance because no EXCEL objects are created.

3. The code I posted can access excel without a password. If you want to set open the excel with the password hardcoded, this one may help.

ps: I found an example using a combination of OLEDB and Interop that might helpful.

Best Regards,

Julie

Thursday, December 5, 2019 1:48 AM
  • I understand, but then how to I do a select statement? For example, I am looking at a textbox. If a user types in 1234, I need to find 1234 in the excel and the corresponding values in the row.

for example: Textbox="1234"

Find value in excel for "1234". It finds the value in Cell A23, and return should return the values in cells A23= "1234", +A24= New York, +A25= zip codes  all in a Message Prompt.

I do not know how to do that with Interlop. With OLEDB, I can do a select statement.

With EPPlus you can load data from a sheet into a DataTable e.g.

worksheet.Cells("A1").LoadFromDataTable(dataTable, true)

Then using filtering and search capabilities of a DataTable and the DefaultView (DataView).

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmarked them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.

NuGet BaseConnectionLibrary for database connections.

StackOverFlow
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange

Thursday, December 5, 2019 1:57 AM

• Private Function GetDataFromExcelByCom(ByVal Optional hasTitle As Boolean = False) As DataTable Dim excelFilePath = "c:\temp\accounts.xlsx" Dim App As Excel1.Application = Nothing Dim Sheets As Excel1.Sheets = Nothing Dim WorkBooks As Excel1.Workbooks = Nothing Dim WorkBook As Excel1.Workbook = Nothing Dim dt As DataTable = New DataTable() Dim oMissiong As Object = System.Reflection.Missing.Value ' pass an argument in an optional parameter position to a method with optional parameters Try WorkBook = WorkBooks.Open(excelFilePath,,,,, "password", True) Sheets = WorkBook.Worksheets("Operating") Dim worksheet As Excel1.Worksheet = Sheets(1) 'Open the first Sheet by default 'Sheet1 is nothing If worksheet Is Nothing Then Return Nothing 'Sheet1 isnot nothing Dim iRowCount As Integer = worksheet.UsedRange.Rows.Count 'Number of valid rows Dim iColCount As Integer = worksheet.UsedRange.Columns.Count 'Number of valid columns 'Add column names For i As Integer = 0 To iColCount - 1 Dim name = "column" & i If hasTitle Then Dim txt = (CType(worksheet.Cells(1, i + 1), Excel1.Range)).Text.ToString() If Not String.IsNullOrWhiteSpace(txt) Then name = txt End If While dt.Columns.Contains(name) name = name & "_1" MsgBox(name) End While dt.Columns.Add(New DataColumn(name, GetType(String))) Next Dim range As Excel1.Range Dim rowIdx As Integer = If(hasTitle, 2, 1) 'If there is a column name, read from the second line, if there is no column name, read from the first line 'Write data to dt For iRow As Integer = rowIdx To iRowCount Dim dr As DataRow = dt.NewRow() For iCol As Integer = 1 To iColCount range = CType(worksheet.Cells(iRow, iCol), Excel1.Range) dr(iCol - 1) = If((range.Value2 Is Nothing), "", range.Text.ToString()) Next dt.Rows.Add(dr) Next Return dt Catch Return Nothing Finally WorkBook.Close(False, oMissiong, oMissiong) 'Close the open excel file and start garbage collection workbook = Nothing app.Workbooks.Close() app.Quit() app = Nothing GC.Collect() End Try End Function

I modified your code to hardcode a password, but it fails on opening line:

WorkBook = WorkBooks.Open(excelFilePath,,,,, "password", True)

The error is:

System.InvalidCastException: 'Conversion from string "oledb connection error" to type 'Integer' is not valid.'

Inner Exception:

FormatException: Input string was not in a correct format.

Friday, December 6, 2019 3:13 PM