Encoding RRS feed

• Question

• User97728421 posted
    I work on multilingual appliction that displays data in English & French.
    English part works as expected.
    French is displayed incorectly
    catégorie becomes catégorie
    i'm puling this information from database.
    Does anybody has an idea how to fix this.
    Also i do have this meta tag in the header:
    <META http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" >
    Thanks
    Wednesday, August 31, 2005 5:32 PM

All replies

• User1416329745 posted
    In SQL Server you enable Unicode encoding by using NChar, NVarchar and NText datatypes and you can do column level collation.  Unicode in SQL Server is multibytes so NChar is 4000, NVarchar is 4000 and  NText is 1gig.  Run a search for Unicode collation in SQL Server BOL (books online).  Hope this helps.
    Wednesday, August 31, 2005 11:26 PM
  • User-571966013 posted
    If  your Problem is not solved as Db solution provided in earlier post then

Try This
    Delete Meta Tag
    I forget full code but it is like Response.header or charset set it to UTF-8

Then it work fine

I have done this but i forget original code Search in MSDN 
    This will work definetly because I faced this problem if ur page is dyanamic ie asp,asp.net , php etc it must be seted through server side
    meta tag only work when file static i.e.  .htm , .html etc.

Also Don't Use both  meta + Server tag

Hope ur Problem solved

Friday, September 2, 2005 3:14 PM
  • User-571966013 posted
    Here Is response.charset Document from MSDN

Charset
    The Charset property appends the name of the character set (for example, ISO-LATIN-7) to the content-type header in the response object.

Syntax
    Response.Charset(CharsetName)

Parameters
    CharsetName

A string that specifies a character set for the page. The character set name will be appended to the content-type header in the Response object.

Example
    For an ASP page that did not include the Response.Charset property, the content-type header would be

content-type:text/html

If the same .asp file included

<% Response.Charset= "ISO-LATIN-7" %>

the content-type header would be

content-type:text/html; charset=ISO-LATIN-7

Remarks
    This function inserts any string in the header, regardless of whether it represents a valid character set or not.

If a single page contains multiple tags containing Response.Charset, each Response.Charset will replace the previous CharsetName. As a result, the character set will be set to the value specified by the last instance of Response.Charset in the page.

On Macintosh computers, the default U.S. character set is not ISO-LATIN-1. When serving up documents, Personal Web Server for Macintosh automatically converts from the Macintosh character set to ISO-Latin-1. In the U.S. version, all pages are assumed to be in the U.S. Macintosh character set unless the Response.Charset is used. If Response.Charset is used to change the character set, Personal Web Server for Macintosh does not convert the character set.

Applies To
    Response Object

Monday, September 5, 2005 2:54 PM
  • User1416329745 posted
    What the person is getting is called character conversion based on SQL Server data which is usually fixed with SQL Server 2000 column level language collation.  I have solved similar problem for someone on another site with the column level collation.  Hope this helps. 
    Monday, September 5, 2005 4:16 PM