Why does my client throw timeout exceptions every once in a while? RRS feed

• Question

• I don't now how often but I would guess 30% of the times my client throws timoeout exception. What can the reasons be for this?
     My timeout is set to 1min, and of course i can change this to 5 but my question is really about what makes my client timeout. Is it the service that doesn't listen though its running etc?

• Moved by SrikumarV Wednesday, September 29, 2010 12:01 AM Migration (From:Windows Azure AppFabric)
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 12:39 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I think he mean a receiver (i.e. your service app that uses ServiceBus) that is too busy to handle the message from ServiceBus. There're various reasons that may cause this kind of issues, as I mentioned before, that make it difficult to identify the root cause. To use retry logic is a good solution to resolve this kind of issues. If it happens frequently, however, definitely there's something wrong and worth further investigation.
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    • Marked as answer by karar Friday, February 19, 2010 8:56 AM
    Friday, February 19, 2010 8:29 AM

All replies

• Hi,

There're lots of things may cause timeout. Are you transferring large data? Is the network you use busy or unstable? Are you using proxy? Could you increase the timeout settings and see when you don't get any timeouts?
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 1:21 AM
  • I get the timeout exception when i try to open the channel to the service, so i never try to send any data. The network is stable as far as i know. And if I increase the timeout i get "rejected the session-establishment request" exception instead.

I only connect with one client, so my bindings maximum connections can't be an issue, right? I use a proxy class, how can that make my client timeout?
    Remember that i only get it sometimes, major part om my connection attempts succeed.

EDIT:
    When i analyze the timeouts/rejections i've come to the conclusion that it's very periodic, sometimes it's nearly impossible to make a connection for maybe a couple of hours, but most of the times it's works fine.
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 9:00 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your update. Could you add some retry logic to handle this specific exception?

BTW, please refer to Clemens Vasters - MSFT's reply in the following thread regarding the cause of this exception:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/netservices/thread/e5f9836e-8ad7-4013-a782-d7fdc86c7452

Friday, February 19, 2010 3:03 AM
  • Thanks for your answer,

Retry logic is a nice idea. But what i really wanted to know was if it's any chance that microsofts service bus might be a bit overloaded during certain time periods, or if that option i comletely ruled out?

I've read clemens vasters thread, can someone explain what a saturated receiver means? Is it that my service maximum connections is reached?

Friday, February 19, 2010 8:09 AM
  • Hi,

I think he mean a receiver (i.e. your service app that uses ServiceBus) that is too busy to handle the message from ServiceBus. There're various reasons that may cause this kind of issues, as I mentioned before, that make it difficult to identify the root cause. To use retry logic is a good solution to resolve this kind of issues. If it happens frequently, however, definitely there's something wrong and worth further investigation.
    • Marked as answer by karar Friday, February 19, 2010 8:56 AM
    Friday, February 19, 2010 8:29 AM