none
Visual Basic Power Packs - PrintForm RRS feed

• Question

• I downloaded VB PowerPacks 3.0 and ran the installation. It said it was "installed", but I can't find it mentioned in the Tools Window. I'm using v 2017, community version

Robert Homes

Wednesday, August 9, 2017 10:35 AM

Answers

• On my version (VS 2015),

I had to add them from "Choose Items..." :

• Proposed as answer by tommytwotrain Wednesday, August 9, 2017 2:13 PM
    • Marked as answer by Robert Homes Wednesday, August 9, 2017 2:53 PM
    Wednesday, August 9, 2017 10:56 AM
  • When you print to file you get a file specific to the selected printer that can be printed on that printer.

It does not create any of the file types you mention. Those are not print outs, which is what the print form makes.

If you want those other files you have to save a file with that type which varies depending on the type and print form does not do that.

• Marked as answer by Robert Homes Wednesday, August 9, 2017 2:52 PM
    Wednesday, August 9, 2017 2:13 PM

All replies

• On my version (VS 2015),

I had to add them from "Choose Items..." :

• Proposed as answer by tommytwotrain Wednesday, August 9, 2017 2:13 PM
    • Marked as answer by Robert Homes Wednesday, August 9, 2017 2:53 PM
    Wednesday, August 9, 2017 10:56 AM
  • Thanks! That worked.

But now I have another question:

When you sent the "action" to "PrintToFile", what filetype is used to save the file? I've tried adding extensions to the filename like ".pdf", ".jpg", ".png", ".doc", but none of those work. It must be a graphic file, right? If so, then why can't you name the file with one of these extensions?

Robert Homes

Wednesday, August 9, 2017 1:51 PM
  • MSDN doc says at PrintForm.PrintFileName :

"

To enable other applications to recognize the file as a PostScript file, you must use a valid PostScript file name extension (.eps, .ps, or .ai) in the PrintFileName property.

"

• Edited by Castorix31 Wednesday, August 9, 2017 2:06 PM
    Wednesday, August 9, 2017 2:05 PM
  • When you print to file you get a file specific to the selected printer that can be printed on that printer.

It does not create any of the file types you mention. Those are not print outs, which is what the print form makes.

If you want those other files you have to save a file with that type which varies depending on the type and print form does not do that.

• Marked as answer by Robert Homes Wednesday, August 9, 2017 2:52 PM
    Wednesday, August 9, 2017 2:13 PM
  • Thanks for the info. I guess I'll stick with the printer instead of a file! Too much trouble the other way.

Robert Homes

Wednesday, August 9, 2017 2:53 PM