Downloading and Installing .dll automatically RRS feed

• Question

• User-338493395 posted

I have created a .dll and corresponding .cab project for that .dll. Cab project includes .msi file and inf file. When I implement this in a web page using <Object Tag>, it prompts for install but it never installs the .dll. I am calling the .cab file like this:

<object name="secondobj" style='display:none' id='TestActivex'  classid='CLSID:c47fe923-7fd7-428e-b372-234829f785fd' codebase='SMMRPrintActiveX.cab#version=1,0,0,0'></object>

When I saw my windows/downloded program files directory it has a file with the same class id, but its status is unknow.

Am I doing anything wrong here... Please help... Thanks in advance

Saturday, June 7, 2008 3:46 AM

All replies

• User-1675544622 posted

I am also having the same problem, except my cab contains the .net dll and the inf file. However, I think for both of us, the problem is that the dll is not registering correctly, and it must be registered in order to function. I however, am having problems finding a way to automatically register it.

To ensure if this is the problem, manually register your dll using regasm tool and then run your page to see if it works.

If you have any ideas as to how to register a .net dll automatically please let me know.

Thursday, July 3, 2008 12:08 PM
  • User-1604093243 posted

hi 

We can autoregister a dll using .MSI file. I will let you the details if you require. In the Setup project --> select the dll u need to register--> change property REGISTER => vsdrCom.

Thats it..

It will get registered while installing.

Using CAB:

I dont have much knowledge in generating CAB files.  Can u post the steps to generate the INF and CAB files? because i too have the same issue.

waiting for your post....

Thanks in advance.

Udhay.

Friday, August 1, 2008 5:52 AM
  • User1356714375 posted

I use to do this for my previous job all the time using C++ and VB.  Are you using the lpk tool? Even though I distributed on a intranet it had be used with my packages.

" A licensed ActiveX control does not load properly in an Internet Explorer HTML page if the computer is not licensed to use the control. For example, if you use Microsoft® Visual C++® to build the control, the HTML page loads properly with the control on the computer where it was built, but it will not load correctly on a different computer. This is because an HTML page with licensed controls requires a single associated license package which stores the run-time licenses for all the controls used on the page. The HTML page should point to a license package via a relative URL. This tool allows you to author a license package file."

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=d2728e89-575e-42e9-a6ff-07d0021e68cc&displaylang=en

This may help

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/305528

Saturday, January 10, 2009 1:36 PM