none
Has Kinect v2 been Abandoned by Microsoft? RRS feed

Answers

• I would like to add to this topic a little.

The Hololens is obviously the marquee device which Microsoft is promoting, however if you think about the device as a set of capabilities instead of just the device, you could think further down the line.

*IF* Microsoft were to focus more on the software side, and build frameworks for devices that have depth, perception, color, sound, location, and things of that nature, we could use any device with Windows 10 and beyond.

We could use the Intel Real Sense, The Orbec, The Hololens, The Kinect v1 & v2, and etc. We as developers could code to multiple devices and take advantage of the framework rather than just focusing on the device.

I wouldn't necessarily say that it's abandoned, but rather it's metamorphosing into a suite of capabilities which can be embedded in Apparel, Glasses, TV's, Phones, Laptops, Desktops, Household appliances, Cars and other creative mediums. So just sit back and watch the emerging experiences explode into the future.

Sr. Enterprise Architect | Trainer | Consultant | MCT | MCSD | MCPD | SharePoint TS | MS Virtual TS |Windows 8 App Store Developer | Linux Gentoo Geek | Raspberry Pi Owner | Micro .Net Developer | Kinect For Windows Device Developer |blog: http://dgoins.wordpress.com

Tuesday, March 1, 2016 5:55 PM

All replies

• My guess would be that all developers have migrated to HoloLens and any new developments are locked for release at least until that get's released.

Brekel

• Proposed as answer by jmmroldan Monday, February 22, 2016 11:20 AM
    Monday, February 22, 2016 11:19 AM
  • I was going to write exactly the same as Brekel. I know it doesn't answer the question "technically", but I proposed it as answer since I think it's the nearest you will get.

Anyway, no official anouncement has been made. In my opinion, Microsoft is being quite obscure about Kinect future (or absence of future) and I don't know how it can benefit the product, but... I'm just a developer, I guess they know better.

Monday, February 22, 2016 11:27 AM
  • Well... there is a beta driver (2.1.x) available after opting-in for beta drivers through the registry.

Still, it doesn't change the fact that MS activity is basically non-existent compared to progress made over time for the original Kinect. 

Monday, February 22, 2016 3:12 PM
  • Agree the first part. And I don't think Microsoft will put any more efforts on the Kinect. Obviously, the future of Kinect is absent. Things like this happens frequently on Microsoft products. I hope at least they can open source the driver to community.
    Thursday, February 25, 2016 7:34 PM
  • MS Research is still playing around with it, e.g. the roomalivetoolkit on the kinect github, (I even saw a post from Ben Lower's account from a month ago, despite him seemingly have moved on from Kinect/MS).

Recent publications showing new multipath removal, 300 Hz IR, etc are very exciting, but not very useful if they are not made available for others to test and evaluate. 

• Edited by Phil Noonan Friday, February 26, 2016 10:52 AM
    Friday, February 26, 2016 10:52 AM
  • Exactly, and mind you the HoloLens also uses a lot of the same depth sensing and software algorithms as the Kinect.

It's just that XBox gaming with the Kinect never really took off but other applications are still widespread and expanding in the future.

Brekel

Friday, February 26, 2016 2:01 PM
  • Nooo!? Why? (about "Abandoned"). The Kinect V2 is a great cam. I think it's just started to be useful for real. I can make games now that would have absolutely stunned me as a kid. I have just released two games and have lots of projects waiting, games that I want to play but doesn't exist just yet. I love it. I would not mind having huge surrounding screens for Kinect games, to really feel like you're in the game scene. I would not mind some holographic technique accompanying this or at least something like the photosynth technique, but I think the Kinect is doing what it is supposed to be doing very well, catching a persons movements.
    For a laptop of mine, the graphic drivers update has been troublesome for a while but the Kinect in itself works great.
    What I do think they should fix is a SDK downloading site for general users, since a lot of people could have use for Kinect now with a Windows adapter (for gaming and other apps), but landing on a page for developers could be a bit intimidating.
    Sunday, February 28, 2016 6:13 PM
  • I would like to add to this topic a little.

The Hololens is obviously the marquee device which Microsoft is promoting, however if you think about the device as a set of capabilities instead of just the device, you could think further down the line.

*IF* Microsoft were to focus more on the software side, and build frameworks for devices that have depth, perception, color, sound, location, and things of that nature, we could use any device with Windows 10 and beyond.

We could use the Intel Real Sense, The Orbec, The Hololens, The Kinect v1 & v2, and etc. We as developers could code to multiple devices and take advantage of the framework rather than just focusing on the device.

I wouldn't necessarily say that it's abandoned, but rather it's metamorphosing into a suite of capabilities which can be embedded in Apparel, Glasses, TV's, Phones, Laptops, Desktops, Household appliances, Cars and other creative mediums. So just sit back and watch the emerging experiences explode into the future.

Sr. Enterprise Architect | Trainer | Consultant | MCT | MCSD | MCPD | SharePoint TS | MS Virtual TS |Windows 8 App Store Developer | Linux Gentoo Geek | Raspberry Pi Owner | Micro .Net Developer | Kinect For Windows Device Developer |blog: http://dgoins.wordpress.com

Tuesday, March 1, 2016 5:55 PM
  • I think the realsense, and specifically the librealsense support should be used as an exemplar (apologies to the Orbbec side of things but I haven't yet tried it out!) The regular updates and supported opensource access is very welcome and refreshing. 

I agree with Dwight, and believe that a framework would make things a lot simpler. But have openNI/Nite already failed to achieve this?

Personally I use libfreenect2 and librealsense since their similarities allow me to write code that is for all intents scanner agnostic, and I save time. 

Speaking of libfreenect2, those guys are amazing and have definitely not abandoned the Kinect. 

Wednesday, March 2, 2016 8:02 AM
  • The other sensors are certainly interesting if all you need is Color/Depth/IR, but they lack the tracking features (bodies/faces) that Kinect v2 offers.

Intel offers some face tracking features but the amount of shapes it can track are less than Kinect v2.

Orbbec is working on skeleton tracking.

PrioVR also offers skeleton tracking (although of inferior quality to Kinect v2) and is targeted for Android in particular.

So in my opinion Kinect v2 is still the best overall solution.

Brekel

Wednesday, March 2, 2016 9:22 AM
  • @Dwight: while that is indeed a nice vision, there is nothing indicating that Microsoft is working on a framework that would also support non-Microsoft devices. And it does not seem very likely, given Microsoft's lack of openness, especially concerning the Kinect.

Orbbec said, they designed their SDK to make it easy to support other sensors, but I haven't tried that, so I can't really speak to that.

@Phil: OpenNI was pretty good as a generic 3D sensor interface and with some more work it could have been great. It mostly failed because it was shut down as soon as Apple gobbled up PrimeSense.

Wednesday, March 2, 2016 9:29 AM
  • I only am generally interested in raw RGBD/IR but even still, I would agree with you that the v2 is probably the best solution at the moment (despite the fact that features like bespoke LUT for depth distortion and single PC multi-kinect support are only available through libfreenect2). Wouldn't it be great to get official/any support for unlocking the 300 Hz IR mode for the v2, not to mention their attempts at reducing multi-path interference... 

Anyway, dreams aside, does anyone know if we could get a comment from Josh Blake here. Keeping on topic, he could perhaps comment on the support of the astra SDK with the Kinect v2?

Wednesday, March 2, 2016 10:41 AM
  • I have forwarded him this thread, will see his answer when he wakes up ;)

Vincent Guigui Innovative Technologies Expert at OCTO Technology Kinect For Windows MVP award

Wednesday, March 2, 2016 11:04 AM
  • Phil,

We did design the Astra SDK to be flexible and extensible. The core library (AstraCore) does not know about depth, color, or specific hardware. It just transfers around byte arrays and handles pub/sub and a few control mechanisms. All stream types are defined in plugins. The API itself is generic/templated to work with any stream type defined now or in the future.

In the Kinect SDKs, they have something like sensor.depth or sensor.color, and later when they add face tracking it's a whole different API to learn. For Astra SDK, future stream types use the same API and same patterns as current stream types.

For the plugins, we currently have support for Orbbec Astra sensors as well as any OpenNI 2 compatible sensor. It would not be hard for someone to add support for Kinect v2, either through the Kinect SDK (Windows only) or libfreenect2 (cross-platform, but no middleware). We are not planning to implement that ourself, but since the SDK is open source https://github.com/orbbec/astra anyone else is free to do so.

Joshua Blake

Wednesday, March 2, 2016 11:04 PM