none
no message file for oracle errors RRS feed

• Question

• I have two programs both of which access an oracle database.  I use the same connection string in both and i am able to connect to the database from both.  However only one of them will return the oracle error messages when I get an oracleException. In the program that will not return the actual error messages, i get ora-xxxx, message xxxx not found; No message file for product=RDBMS,facitlity=ora.  What is the cause of this?  could I have corrupted something in one of the programs.  this is driving me nuts

Thanks for any insight.
    Monday, October 19, 2009 2:08 PM

Answers

• Hi,
    This smells like a permission problem in my opinion.
    Please check if there is a different permission for the applications.
    Gil Fink
    • Marked as answer by Zhipeng Lee Monday, October 26, 2009 1:52 AM
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 9:42 AM

All replies

• Hi,
    The error messages that you get are caused because your Oracle DB doesn't find the error messages file.
    Check your ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/mesg directory if it contains *.msb files. If not then you won't get the translation of error messages.

I hope it will help you.

Gil Fink
    Monday, October 19, 2009 3:25 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for responding,  I checked the rdbms/mesg directory and it has .msb files.  The thing I find weird is that one code will run and find the error message without any problems but the other application (using the same code) cannot.  why would this happen?  i am running them from the same computer, connecting to the same remote database
    Monday, October 19, 2009 4:10 PM
  • Hi,
    This smells like a permission problem in my opinion.
    Please check if there is a different permission for the applications.
    Gil Fink
    • Marked as answer by Zhipeng Lee Monday, October 26, 2009 1:52 AM
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 9:42 AM
  • what permissions are you referring to?
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 5:01 PM