none
display the user name, who has uploaded the document in SharePoint document library. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a windows application where user can upload documents. we are sending the details to web service. Then, I'm uploading documents to SharePoint site thourght Web Service. But, after uploading document, when I check in document library, "Modified By" is showing system account for all the documents.

I want to display the user name, who has uploaded the document in sharepoint document library.

Please let me know, how can I achieve this.

Thanks in Advance,

Sateesh

Tuesday, March 30, 2010 3:46 PM

Answers

• There are a few things you can do. You can call the copy.asmx web  service, Remote procedure call or use WebDav (Http PUT) like the previous suggestion. All will work with out writing your own web service. However, if you want to send metadata along with the uploaded document I would suggest using either the copy web service or RPC. The reason for this is to prevent creating multiple versions uncessarily. Using WebDav along with updating the metadata with the Lists web service will create two versions for every uploaded document (If versioning is turned on). These methods will also impersonate the user and set the "Created by" field correctly.

http://sharepointfieldnotes.blogspot.com/2009/09/uploading-content-into-sharepoint-let.html

certdev.com
    • Marked as answer by Chengyi Wu Thursday, April 8, 2010 2:48 AM
    Thursday, April 1, 2010 2:32 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Please see this thread, hope it helps

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sharepointdevelopment/thread/25c69630-cc86-47a3-a316-9108da4cea68

Cheers, Sanjiv Kumar Sanjiv Blog | LinkedIn
    Tuesday, March 30, 2010 3:58 PM
  • Are you using your own web service to do this? If so, are you elevating privileges? If you are elevating privileges then the system account will be the user making the changes.
    certdev.com
    Tuesday, March 30, 2010 6:08 PM
  • Is there any SharePoint WebService available?

Actually the requirement is, user will upload documents in Sales Logx CRM application. Then, documents should automacically upload to SharePoint site.

For this reason, I'm writing my own weservice, which reads "byte array" from Sales Logix, then convert to stream. Then uploads the same to SharePoint site. This web service will be calling from Sales Logix CRM application.

Please let me know, is there any SharePoint web service available for this requirement.

Wednesday, March 31, 2010 10:27 AM
  • There are a few things you can do. You can call the copy.asmx web  service, Remote procedure call or use WebDav (Http PUT) like the previous suggestion. All will work with out writing your own web service. However, if you want to send metadata along with the uploaded document I would suggest using either the copy web service or RPC. The reason for this is to prevent creating multiple versions uncessarily. Using WebDav along with updating the metadata with the Lists web service will create two versions for every uploaded document (If versioning is turned on). These methods will also impersonate the user and set the "Created by" field correctly.

http://sharepointfieldnotes.blogspot.com/2009/09/uploading-content-into-sharepoint-let.html

certdev.com
    • Marked as answer by Chengyi Wu Thursday, April 8, 2010 2:48 AM
    Thursday, April 1, 2010 2:32 AM
  • Sateesh

how do you authenticate your call to the web service? Is it a custom web service or which one of the OOTB MOSS web services do you use?

Do you give it NetworkCredentials? Who is the user, is he member of the administratror group or of one of the groups the app pool user/farm  account belongs to?

Thursday, April 1, 2010 6:23 AM