none
MAPI Property PR_OST_OSTID RRS feed

• Question

• I can't find anywhere in the open specs what the structure is of the data that is returned for the PR_OST_OSTID exchange property.
    Where can I read about what the data structure is for this property?

PR_OST_OSTID: 0x7c04
    PT_BINARY: 0x0102
    Friday, January 8, 2010 8:30 PM

Answers

• John,

Yes this is a client it’s client implementation specific property which is why it is not documented.

In my research Exchange Server (Exchange 2003, 2007, and 2010) has no knowledge of the property outside of it being a binary type passed by the client.  I could not find another client accessing this property.  Feedback from development this is an Outlook client internal property that is stored on the server as an opaque type.

The boundary of what is documented and supported for Exchange Server protocol is defined by the Interoperability Principles.  First, from a client to server protocol interoperability standpoint, the details of this property are not required to implement a server.  Secondly, if there was another Microsoft client accessing this property then it should be documented. 

I am going to mark this issue involving “MAPI Property PR_OST_OSTID” as answered. If you wish to continue investigating this matter in the future, feel free to contact me via dochelp (at) microsoft.com. I would be interested to see a use case where for example you are seeing the data change in response from the server. Please attach a network trace to your email and reference my name and the issue description so it will get to me.

Developer Consultant

Friday, January 15, 2010 5:55 PM

All replies

• Hi John,

Let me research this and get back to you. 

Developer Consultant
    Saturday, January 9, 2010 12:42 AM
  • John,

Can you provide me some more details of where you are seeing this property being used. 
    Developer Consultant
    Saturday, January 9, 2010 2:10 AM
  • I am writing a MAPI protocol analyzer for MS Network Monitor to help people debug network traffic going back and forth from Exchange.

Outlook requests this property upon first connecting to Exchange and setting up the outlook/mapi profile.

John
    Saturday, January 9, 2010 4:05 AM
  • What version[s] of Outlook and Exchange? 

Developer Consultant
    Saturday, January 9, 2010 5:55 AM
  • Outlook 2007 and I believe Exchange 2007 SP1
    Saturday, January 9, 2010 6:19 AM
  • Thanks John,  

Helps me with my testing :)

Developer Consultant
    Monday, January 11, 2010 5:13 PM
  • Any luck?
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 5:20 AM
  • Hi John,

The feedback from development is PR_OST_OSTID is a client-implementation specific property.  The details of this property are not documented because it is not used by or required to interoperate with Exchange Server.

Thank you for your question and thank you for your interest in the Exchange protocol.

Developer Consultant
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 11:26 PM
  • It's a client specific property, BUT exchange, a server, returns data for it....

So, if it is returned from exchange then it must be used by exchange.

Why is there so much secrecy over simple properties?
    How am I supposed to decode the data on the wire for Network Monitor 3 if I don't know what the structure of the data is?

The structure to me looks like so. (40 bytes, guid(16) + long(4) + guid(16) + long(4) )
    OSTID
    {
         GUID Guid1;
         long Id1;
         GUID Guid2;
         long Id2;
    }

Now just to know what the real name of these fields are???
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 11:45 PM
  • John,

Yes this is a client it’s client implementation specific property which is why it is not documented.

In my research Exchange Server (Exchange 2003, 2007, and 2010) has no knowledge of the property outside of it being a binary type passed by the client.  I could not find another client accessing this property.  Feedback from development this is an Outlook client internal property that is stored on the server as an opaque type.

The boundary of what is documented and supported for Exchange Server protocol is defined by the Interoperability Principles.  First, from a client to server protocol interoperability standpoint, the details of this property are not required to implement a server.  Secondly, if there was another Microsoft client accessing this property then it should be documented. 

I am going to mark this issue involving “MAPI Property PR_OST_OSTID” as answered. If you wish to continue investigating this matter in the future, feel free to contact me via dochelp (at) microsoft.com. I would be interested to see a use case where for example you are seeing the data change in response from the server. Please attach a network trace to your email and reference my name and the issue description so it will get to me.

Developer Consultant

Friday, January 15, 2010 5:55 PM