none
How to set up SMTP service from a Windows 7 OS? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all of you,

Primary platform is Framework 2.0 (VB)

My goal is to be able to send emails from each of my customers.

My platform has been developed in VB .NET (desktop) and it will run throught Windows 7 clients. I wonder how to set up SMTP service in that OS. I do without problems in Windows 2003 Server (I know it, is very odd but I use a server version as my main developing machine)

I use SmtpClient and MailMessage classes and it does work properly.

Any help or sample would be very appreciated,

TIA

Enric

Tuesday, August 21, 2012 4:19 PM

Answers

• I think since SMTP Server is removed from IIS and become seperate feature, it's no longer included in non-server SKUs. (This including Vista/Win7/Win8). I've just confirmed it does not exist in my Win7 Ultimate machine.

To send email, you should just specify the IP of SMTP server your company by the parameter of constructor of SmtpClient class.

EDIT: More information on the topic here.

Wednesday, August 22, 2012 2:09 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• I think since SMTP Server is removed from IIS and become seperate feature, it's no longer included in non-server SKUs. (This including Vista/Win7/Win8). I've just confirmed it does not exist in my Win7 Ultimate machine.

To send email, you should just specify the IP of SMTP server your company by the parameter of constructor of SmtpClient class.

EDIT: More information on the topic here.

Wednesday, August 22, 2012 2:09 AM
    Answerer
  • ASP.NET must be enabled in the Windows 7 feature IIS feature least as below snapshot shows. Then it would start appearing in the IIS 7 Manager.

Start -> Turn Windows Features On or off

And activating these two checkboxes:

Internet Information Services -> Web Management Tools -> IIS Maanagement services Internet Information Services -> World Wide Web Services-> Application Development Features -> ASP.NET

SMTP E-mail doesn't appear immediately in the Computer Management, IIS Features View.  reopen it.

• Edited by Tahir Naeem Tuesday, August 28, 2012 12:32 PM
    Tuesday, August 28, 2012 12:31 PM
  • Hope that before posting reply, you take some time to figure out what that "SMTP Email" option really is.

It's not "Install SMTP server" feature, rather than "Tell your application where the default SMTP server is if it's asking" one.

Wednesday, August 29, 2012 3:05 AM
    Answerer