none
Change App from "Trial" to "Free + In App Purchase" RRS feed

• Question

• How to let the purchased user of old trial version to own the in app product in the new free version?

Can I still use LicenseInformation.IsTrial in free app?  Is it always true or false in free app?

Thanks.

• Edited by Raptor K Saturday, December 1, 2012 2:00 PM
    Saturday, December 1, 2012 1:54 PM

Answers

• If the license is free then you cannot use LicenseInformation.IsTrial. You cannot choose "Trial"and "Free" when you submit your app to the store.

When you update your terms to be free then when users update their apps they will be able to use it without restrictions.

-Eric

• Marked as answer by Raptor K Friday, December 7, 2012 2:28 AM
    Friday, December 7, 2012 2:27 AM

All replies

• If the license is free then you cannot use LicenseInformation.IsTrial. You cannot choose "Trial"and "Free" when you submit your app to the store.

When you update your terms to be free then when users update their apps they will be able to use it without restrictions.

-Eric

• Marked as answer by Raptor K Friday, December 7, 2012 2:28 AM
    Friday, December 7, 2012 2:27 AM
  • Thanks, I decided to submit another app.

Win8 Developer QQ Group 95331609

Friday, December 7, 2012 2:29 AM
  • Is there a way to achieve what the original question asked (i.e. to go from free trial/paid app to free app w/in-app purchase).

My app is currently a paid app with unlimited free trial. The paid version removes the ads.

I want to change to a totally free app with ads, and have an in-app purchase available to remove the ads. Of course I want anybody who has already paid for the full version to retain their no-ads status without charging them for the in-app purchase.

Is there a way to grant an in-app purchase to existing users (e.g. put the in-app purchase in the current app while it's still a paid add and make it active for everyone with the paid version, then later change the app to free)? Obviously once the app becomes free everyone who downloads the app gets the full version and there would be no way to tell paid users apart from freeloaders :)

I'm a self-taught noob amateur. Please take this into account when responding to my posts or when taking advice from me.

Thursday, January 31, 2013 7:52 AM
  • I too would like this feature.  At first it sounds like an obscure request, but it's really quite logical.

The bottom line is that 'free' apps are downloaded much more than 'paid' apps.  Even though 'paid app with unlimited free ad-supported trial ' and 'free app with in-app purchase to remove ads' are really the same thing in most cases, the latter will probably be downloaded an order of magnitude more often.

Suppose that I have an app "SuperApp".  The best solution right now is to make a new app called "SuperApp Free" but this has some large drawbacks:

• Two apps must now be updated instead of just one.
    • The ratings and reviews are reset.
    • Any other negatives?

It would be nice if there was a way to do this conversion on an existing app.

-Daniel

Tuesday, February 5, 2013 11:13 PM
  • I want to bump this question and add a bit to it. I have several apps I want to make completely free (with ads), but I don't want the current users who have paid for the ad-free version to suddenly get ads.

I can think of a workaround: update the app to detect a full version and write a setting to roaming settings recording that the user has the paid version. Then upon a future update making the app free, I can detect if this setting exists and hide the ads in that instance.

I think this will work for my apps (small number of users), but it's a terribly 'hacky' workaround for something that should be really easy.

In fact, I think Windows 8 would benefit greatly from implementing (at the SDK level) a default behaviour that allows devs to publish an app as "FREE" (with ads) with a simple standard option to remove ads. For some reason most people will not download a paid app even if it is listed with unlimited free trial, yet the same app listed as free (with ads) gets literally 10x more downloads. Using in-app content to remove ads seems backwards to me.

Either way we NEED more flexibility in this area. Just the simple option to give out tokens to users for a full version or in-app content would be a huge benefit.

I'm a self-taught noob amateur. Please take this into account when responding to my posts or when taking advice from me.

Wednesday, March 27, 2013 5:14 AM
  • Would it be possible to achieve this by checking the purchase date retrieved from GetAppReceiptAsync()?  Customers that bought prior to some date could get the no-ad experience...
    Sunday, April 7, 2013 1:20 AM
  • Great idea...it looks like you can retrieve the date of the purchase as well as whether it was a trial or 'full'. This is enough information to tell the difference between a paid user (i.e. downloaded the full version before the date the app became free).

Sounds like you might have got the answer. Can anyone from Microsoft see any flaws in this method?

Sunday, April 7, 2013 1:45 PM
  • I was wondering if this method of checking the LicenseType = "Full" and the PurchaseDate before Free app release works for you.

With the app certification process taking a number of days... I was wondering what date I should check for when doing this? If PurchaseDate <= (4/5 days in the future) ???

Tuesday, June 11, 2013 3:36 PM
  • I *think* it works :). Seemed to work in testing. I have no way of really checking what is happening in the real world.

I did mine a week in the future from memory. I figured the worst-case scenario is that some users would get the ad-free version when they 'deserve' ads, but nobody would get ads when they have paid for the full version.

Wednesday, June 12, 2013 2:48 AM
  • Bummer. According to http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/windows.applicationmodel.store.currentapp.getappreceiptasync as of this writing the API isn't implemented for Windows Phone 8.

stonetip

Thursday, July 18, 2013 3:38 AM
  • Did anybody get any working solution for this? I am planning to make my app free and have released a version that writes the current license into app settings. Then in the free version i can check this value to decide the product for the user. However this will not work if the user reinstalls or installs new in another phone. Can anyone verify if the original rceipt can be retrieved as someone rightly pointed out that the docs say api will throw exception for phone?
    Friday, January 3, 2014 7:05 AM
  • Is there any more feedback/information on this?  I too have the same intention of releasing a Free version in addition to my Trial+Paid App.

Thanks,

Ant

Saturday, April 5, 2014 2:32 PM
  • It seems to work, with some issues : https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/e6735273-fe03-4c49-aeb4-cc521ef26f2b/c-uwp-w10-moving-from-freemium-to-free-in-app-purchases?forum=wpdevelop
    Thursday, October 26, 2017 6:16 PM