none
vti cnf probs RRS feed

• Question

• All of a sudden EW has started producing vti_cnf folders which appear to hold only text.

I modified a page for my site in EW and saved it as usual but when I went to upload it I couldn't find it except in a vti_cnf folder. When I transferred this across all I got was meaningless text-

www.justinseye.com/Galpics/Galldex.htm

What is going on?

Justin.

Monday, April 26, 2010 9:00 AM

All replies

• The _vti_cnf folder and files in it are created when you allow EW to maintain the site using hidden meta data files.
    The _vti_cnf folders contain the meta data for the files in your web site. The meta data files take the same names and extensions as the website files, but contain data such as links to and from the file, date last published etc. The files in the _vti_cnf folders are used by Expression Web to maintain links when files are moved, and check publishing status. They are always hidden in EW.

The website file itself is always in the same folder as the _vti_cnf folder - unless you have edited the file outside of the web site (by not opening the website before opening the page, or using a different editor) and saved it elsewhere.

Ron Symonds
    Microsoft MVP (Expression Web)

www.rxs-enterprises.org/fp
    Monday, April 26, 2010 9:16 AM
  • Thanks Ron.

It was indeed in the folder but not where I recall seeing it last.

Justin.

Tuesday, April 27, 2010 7:27 PM