none
Share Azure Files as a File Share

Question

• Hi! I've followed the instructions at https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/storage-dotnet-how-to-use-files/ and am able to mount an SMB Azure File share as a local drive to my server.  Everything works great!

Is it possible though to share this file share with others on my company network so that they don't have direct access to the Azure file share?  What I'm keen on doing is mounting the SMB share onto my server as a mapped drive (or some other means) and then sharing that mapped drive as a file share (\\myserver\fileshare) so that I can control access rights for users on my network.  When a user accesses \\myserver\fileshare the server is reading/writing from/to my Azure File share but the user is unaware.

Is this possible? 

Thanks in advance,
    Jason.

Sunday, June 05, 2016 9:28 PM

All replies

• Hi Jason,

If you need to Share Access to Azure File Storage but not allow direct access, you could consider using Shared Access Signatures.
    A shared access signature provides delegated access to resources in your storage account. This means that you can grant a client limited permissions to objects in your storage account for a specified period of time and with a specified set of permissions, without having to share your account access keys.

A service SAS might fit your requirement.
    The service SAS delegates access to a resource in just one of the storage services: the Blob, Queue, Table, or File service. See Constructing a Service SAS and Service SAS Examples for in-depth information about constructing the service SAS token.

Regards,
    Malar.

Monday, June 06, 2016 6:28 AM