My app failed certification because it failed to install on a platform that it isn't targetting. What do I do? RRS feed

• Question

• An update to an app I have already published and updated several times without hitting this issue failed certification. The reason given was that it failed to install on Windows Phone, but that platform isn't targeted in the 'packages' section of the submission. It never has been, and never caused any certification issue before.

I have targets for 'Windows 10 Desktop', 'Windows 10 Mobile', and 'Windows 8/8.1'.

From the report:

Your app fails to install or does not function on one or more of your currently selected device families (Windows Phone). Please ensure that your device family selection is correct and re-submit your app.

Steps to Reproduce:
    1. Attempt to install the app on Mobile.
    2. Notice that the app fails to install with error message 'This app will not work on your device.'.

Thursday, December 29, 2016 9:56 AM

Answers

• Hi Estragon,

> The reason given was that it failed to install on Windows Phone, but that platform isn't targeted in the 'packages' section of the submission.

According to your failure report, the tester cannot test your app on Windows Phone properly. If you select your app targeting on "Windows 10 Mobile", then you need to make sure your app can work well on that device family.

So you're supposed to sideload your app package on Windows 10 mobile device to test if it can work well.

If you still have any other question, please feel free to update here. I will keep monitoring your thread until your app passes certification.

You can also contact Dev Center support: http://aka.ms/storesupport through your developer account for more specific info.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Mattew Wu

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, December 30, 2016 5:28 AM

All replies

• Hi Estragon,

> The reason given was that it failed to install on Windows Phone, but that platform isn't targeted in the 'packages' section of the submission.

According to your failure report, the tester cannot test your app on Windows Phone properly. If you select your app targeting on "Windows 10 Mobile", then you need to make sure your app can work well on that device family.

So you're supposed to sideload your app package on Windows 10 mobile device to test if it can work well.

If you still have any other question, please feel free to update here. I will keep monitoring your thread until your app passes certification.

You can also contact Dev Center support: http://aka.ms/storesupport through your developer account for more specific info.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Mattew Wu

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, December 30, 2016 5:28 AM
  • Ah, okay. I thought where they said 'Windows Phone' it meant the 'Windows Phone 8.x' target. I'll have to do some testing and see what's going on.

Friday, December 30, 2016 9:41 AM
  • Hello,

Have you solved your problem? Please share your update here if you feel free.

Thanks.

Best regards,

Cherry Bu

MSDN Community Support

Tuesday, January 3, 2017 9:29 AM
  • I haven't solved it yet, but I've resubmitted with the 'Windows 10 Mobile' platform disabled for now. Then when I can figure out what's caused the problem, I can re-add it and submit another update.
    Tuesday, January 3, 2017 9:32 AM