No PowerPivot??? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Folks,

I installed PowerPivot from the Web as described in a Microsoft video (Note the video and my steps did not agree - there was no request for username and the screens looked different).  Nothing (no PowerPivot tab) appeared when I opened Excel.  PowerPivot is not listed in the active or inactive add-in.

I am running Excel 2010 (32bit) under Windows 7 (64bit) (downloaded the 32 bit version).

I am also running Excel 2013 which has its own version of PowerPivot (which is working).

Any suggestions?

TIA,

Shane

If this answer solves your problem, please check Mark as Answered. If this answer helps, please click the Vote as Helpful button. Cheers, Shane Devenshire

Thursday, August 2, 2012 7:06 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Shane,

You can refer to the following steps to troubleshoot this issue, please see: 

1. Check whether the add-in is disabled. You can find that from File->Options-->Add-Ins-->Manage: "Disabled Items" and click "Go". If you find PowerPivot for Excel is disabled, please enable it.
    2. Check whether the add-in is unloaded. You can find that from File-->Options>Add-Ins->Manage: "COM Add-Ins" and click "Go". If the PowerPivot for Excel is unchecked, check it again.
    3. Make sure your Excel Version is compatible with PowerPivot.
      (Note: If you choose a custom installation of the Microsoft Office 2010, you must install both Excel 2010 and Office Shared Features in order to use PowerPivot for Excel.)

Here is a similar thread about this topic for your reference, please see:
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqlkjpowerpivotforexcel/thread/3ec71eec-288b-4b2c-a404-a1740103e483/

Regards,
    Bin Long

Bin Long

TechNet Community Support

Monday, August 6, 2012 5:26 AM
  • Hi Bin,

1. The add-in is not listed as enabled or disabled

2. The add-in is not listed when choosing COM Add-Ins and clicking Go. 

3. The add-in is not listed when I check the Windows Control Panel Uninstall Programs.

Conclusion - something is wrong with the install directions giving at the download site. 

TIA,

Shane 

If this answer solves your problem, please check Mark as Answered. If this answer helps, please click the Vote as Helpful button. Cheers, Shane Devenshire

Monday, August 6, 2012 9:21 PM
  • Hi Shane,

Thanks for your feedback.

It seems that the SQL Server PowerPivot for Excel did not install successfully. I suggest you refer to the following article to install PowerPivot for Excel, especially the software requirement. Please see:
    Install PowerPivot for Excel: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg413462.aspx
    Download Microsoft® SQL Server® 2012 PowerPivot® for Microsoft® Excel® 2010: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=29074

Regards,
    Bin Long

Bin Long

Tuesday, August 7, 2012 10:39 AM
  • Hi Bin,

I have re-downloaded Microsoft® SQL Server® 2012 PowerPivot® for Microsoft® Excel® 2010.

When I choose File, Options, Add-Ins it is listed under Inactive Application Add-Ins

When I choose Com Add-Ins, Go I see it listed without a check in the box to the left

When I check the check box the Load Behavior message at the bottom of the dialog box says "Not loaded.  A runtime error occured during the loading of the COM Add-in.

So my problem is not solved.

Thanks,

Shane

Saturday, August 11, 2012 4:08 PM
  • I am in exactly the same situation as Shane. Same software configuration and same error from the COM add-in list. Any additional assistance out there?

Thanks,

Luis

• Proposed as answer by ortizla96 Wednesday, August 15, 2012 7:49 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by ortizla96 Wednesday, August 15, 2012 7:49 PM
    Wednesday, August 15, 2012 5:01 PM
  • some more digging and multiple install/uninstall loops and I got there. Used the advice in this thread:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqlkjpowerpivotforexcel/thread/2f2759c9-d45d-4b67-b678-33868cc20ecf

irusul's recommendation to install in exactly this order worked for my system:

Did you install in this order?

1. .Net Framework 4.0
    2. Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Tools of Office Runtime
    3. PowerPivot 2012 for Excel

Hope this works for others.

Luis

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 7:51 PM
  • Hi Folks, 

I installed PowerPivot for Excel a number of years ago, so I don't remember if the order of installation was as described.  I will try it again this weekend.  (too much work right now),

Thanks,

Shane

Thursday, August 16, 2012 3:40 PM
  • some more digging and multiple install/uninstall loops and I got there. Used the advice in this thread:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqlkjpowerpivotforexcel/thread/2f2759c9-d45d-4b67-b678-33868cc20ecf

irusul's recommendation to install in exactly this order worked for my system:

Did you install in this order?

1. .Net Framework 4.0
    2. Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Tools of Office Runtime
    3. PowerPivot 2012 for Excel

Hope this works for others.

Luis

Hi Luis,

To install and use Microsoft SQL Server 2012 PowerPivot for Microsoft Excel, complete the following steps in this order:

1. Install .NET Framework 4.0 and Visual Studio 2010 Tools for Office Runtime.
    2. If you are running Windows Vista or Windows Server 2008, install the platform update.
    3. Install Microsoft® Office 2010.
    4. Install PowerPivot for Microsoft Excel

Important : If you install the 32-bit version of Excel, you must use the 32-bit version of PowerPivot. If you install the 64-bit version of Excel, you must use the 64-bit version of PowerPivot.

Regads,
    Bin Long

Bin Long

Friday, August 17, 2012 5:03 AM