none
Refreshing a set of PowerPoint chart linked to Excel RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Folks,

• What is the best way to link Excel charts to PowerPoint slides if you want to be able to refresh the charts via code in PowerPoint?
      • I am not a PowerPoint programmer but I do VBA in Access and Excel.  To refresh all the linked charts from inside of PowerPoint via VBA what is the appropriate code approach?  Can I use something like Refresh All or For Each chart in Presentation…. 

Am using Office 2010 under Windows 7.

TIA,

Shane

If this answer solves your problem, please check Mark as Answered. If this answer helps, please click the Vote as Helpful button. Cheers, Shane Devenshire

Tuesday, September 4, 2012 8:52 AM

All replies

• Hi Shane,

Thanks for posting in the MSDN Forum.

I tried to embedded a Excel chart to Presentation via Ctrl+C and Select "Keep source formatting & Link data" on the Slide's context menu. The chart will be update by itself when the Excel's data has been changed.

There seems needn't do anything via code. Please show me more detailed scenario of your goal if it didn't meet your goal.

Have a good day,

Tom

Tom Xu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Wednesday, September 5, 2012 2:17 AM
  • Hi Tom,

The charts will refresh automatically if the XL files are open at the same time but do the refresh automatically when the files XL files are closed and PowerPoints is opened?

My test shows that you need to manually select each chart and choose Chart Tools, Design, Refresh Data.  That would be fine for one chart but not 120 charts.

Thanks,

Shane 

from Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia

If this answer solves your problem, please check Mark as Answered. If this answer helps, please click the Vote as Helpful button. Cheers, Shane Devenshire

Saturday, September 8, 2012 7:03 AM
  • Hi Shane,

I will involve some experts who family with it to help you. There might be some time delay, thanks for your patience.

Have a good day,

Tom

Tom Xu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Monday, September 10, 2012 7:04 AM
  • Hi Tom,

Thanks, I will look forward to a reply,

Shane,

from Beijing, China

Monday, September 10, 2012 7:20 AM
  • Hello Shane,

Try this line of code:
    ActivePresentation.updatelinks

I tried a really simple macro with an embedded linked Excel object in PowerPoint 2010 with this:

Sub updatelinks()
    ActivePresentation.updatelinks

End Sub

When I ran that code, it updated my linked objects with Excel closed.

I hope this helps.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Thanks! Adrian Microsoft Online Community Support

• Proposed as answer by Mica Nellie Wednesday, August 1, 2018 5:16 PM
    Thursday, September 13, 2012 10:12 PM