Sharepoint: Prepopulating colum using column from another list RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I would just like to inquire if this is possible, and if so please advise.

I want to create a new list called "Yearly Project Dashboard." I already created a "Monthly Project Dashboard". I want to export data from the columns Project name and Project Manager from Monthly Project Dashboard and then import that onto the new Yearly Project Dashboard.

I tried using the look up funtion but that would require using a drop down list to fill it in. I want both the Project Name and the Project Manager to be prepopulated and on the same row - aligning with their respective projects and project managers.

Thank you,

Mark William

Tuesday, March 6, 2012 6:42 PM

Answers

• Hi Mark,

If you are using SharePoint 2010, then you can continue using the Lookup column in order to achieve the required functionality. When you choose Lookup Column, under "Additional Column Settings", apart from selecting the main column onto which you want the data to lookup to, also select the checkboxes next to the additional columns whose data needs to be copied to the second list along with the lookup value. Ex: Column1, Column2 shown below will replace the columns Project Name & Project Manager in your case.

Alternately, if you are using SharePoint 2007, you will have to either come up with a

1. user control (if the values must be populated in the form immediately based on the change of selection) OR,
    2. SPD workflow which copies the data from the master list to child list depending upon the lookup value chosen

Hope this clarifies. Please let me know if you require more information.

Thanks

Tuesday, March 6, 2012 8:33 PM

All replies

• Hi Mark,

If you are using SharePoint 2010, then you can continue using the Lookup column in order to achieve the required functionality. When you choose Lookup Column, under "Additional Column Settings", apart from selecting the main column onto which you want the data to lookup to, also select the checkboxes next to the additional columns whose data needs to be copied to the second list along with the lookup value. Ex: Column1, Column2 shown below will replace the columns Project Name & Project Manager in your case.

Alternately, if you are using SharePoint 2007, you will have to either come up with a

1. user control (if the values must be populated in the form immediately based on the change of selection) OR,
    2. SPD workflow which copies the data from the master list to child list depending upon the lookup value chosen

Hope this clarifies. Please let me know if you require more information.

Thanks

Tuesday, March 6, 2012 8:33 PM
  • Suneetha, I did as you describe in SharePoint 2010, and the additional column shows up in the list as Project:ID in my case.  However, it is not available as a field in InfoPath.  All of the other columns are... any idea why additional columns would not show?
    Thursday, April 18, 2013 2:30 PM