Emailing Sharepoint 2007 Form loses formatting RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a form built in infopath 2007 containing standard controls including dropdown lists, text boxes, tables etc.

When we submit the form it sends an email or the form rather than posting to a Sharepoint library. If the form is submitted from the InfoPath client then the email is formatted correctly looking exactly the same the form itself.

However if the same form is submitted from the web browser through Sharepoint 2007 (which is what all users do), then the formatting is all wrong e.g. the tables are now about 5 times wider then they should be.

It the issue is related to submitting from the browser and not info path. We have opened the emails on both Outlook 2007 or 2010 without success but Outlook 2003 has no issue. I understand that 2007 has changed the way it renders these emails but it still doesn't explain why the place of submital has such an affect on the result.

Any ideas or suggestions would be grreatly appreciated.

Wednesday, March 9, 2011 10:46 PM

Answers

• Hi,

We have figured out the root cause of this problem and have come up with a solution to this.

When you drop controls into infopath tables it defaults the width of these controls to 100% of the column width. For some reason when form is emailed it sets the default width of the table to an amount greater than what was original specified. Therefore when the control is rendered it is stretched to fill up the new overwide table.

By forcing all the controls to be a fixed pixel width and ensuring you reduce all table widths and column widths to a fix number of pixels the controls render correctly and the problem is solved.

Thursday, March 17, 2011 10:57 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks to share your post.

For the issue, do you mean that when submit from the web browser, the InfoPath format is wrong in the outlook 2007 or outlook 2010? If yes, as far as I am concerned, when you edit the InfoPath in the web browser, it should be transmitted to the HTML format; the file type that you have sent to the outlook isn’t the same as in sent in the InfoPath.  You should open in the web browser in the outlook to check whether it works well.

And also please follow this article to check whether you have installed the Prerequisites for using InfoPath e-mail forms:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/infopath-help/use-infopath-e-mail-forms-in-outlook-HA010164549.aspx.

Hope this could help you!

Leo

• Marked as answer by Emir Liu Thursday, March 17, 2011 7:33 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Simon - Holodoc Thursday, March 17, 2011 10:57 PM
    Monday, March 14, 2011 8:28 AM
  • Hi,

I checked the InfoPath email form link but this will not help us unfortunatley. We are using web based forms so we do not have to roll out InfoPath client to our 100's of users.

Regarding your question, i can confirm that when we submit the form from the web browser (this submit sends the forms via email), the format of the email in Outlook 2007 is incorrect or stretched horizontally (but perfectly fine in outlook 2003). Therefore the email copy of the form does not look like the original form. However if we open the form in the infopath client and submit the form again (also sending it via email), the email looks exactly like original form in all versions of outlook.

It is sending the same HTML format email to outlook 2003 and 2007 but 2007 will not display it in the correct format.

Regards.

• Marked as answer by Emir Liu Thursday, March 17, 2011 7:32 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Emir Liu Thursday, March 17, 2011 7:34 AM
    Wednesday, March 16, 2011 2:58 AM
  • Hi,

We have figured out the root cause of this problem and have come up with a solution to this.

When you drop controls into infopath tables it defaults the width of these controls to 100% of the column width. For some reason when form is emailed it sets the default width of the table to an amount greater than what was original specified. Therefore when the control is rendered it is stretched to fill up the new overwide table.

By forcing all the controls to be a fixed pixel width and ensuring you reduce all table widths and column widths to a fix number of pixels the controls render correctly and the problem is solved.

Thursday, March 17, 2011 10:57 PM
  • Hi Simon,

I'm having the same issues. I've set the field controls to specific numbers however I realize the spaces between fields are skewed, which is strange because I've formated my fields within a table to contain them in one area.

I'm at my wits end with this and all of the options recommend before are not working.

Wednesday, May 18, 2011 12:47 PM
  • Hi,

It was tough to get it working. You literally have to go through every control and make sure they have a fixed width in pixels. Even if the control is contained within a table, you still need to set this width otherwise it will skew it. Even set the width of the tables and the columns.

Once we did this to our forms they started appearing in the correct format.

I suggest cutting the form down to just a handle full of control and experiment until you get this working. Then go back to original form and apply same changes to everything.

Regards.

Wednesday, May 18, 2011 9:51 PM
  • This is been very helpful...to an extent.  My form is Infopath 2010 and we are using Outlook 2010.  I have gone through each field and section, verifying a set width.  The form has 3 sections in it which each have a rule that is based on a 'type of change' field.  If the form is created without choosing a type of change, thereby not allowing any of the 3 sections to appear, the format of the form in the email is normal.  If either of the 3 sections opens, the format is way wide and messed up.  Any other ideas?
    Wednesday, May 2, 2012 7:22 PM
  • Since i wrote this a year ago i haven't had to fix any more forms. Our environment is fairly stable. The only suggestion i would make is look at the HTML that is contained in the email and see if you can work out which sections do not have width restrictions and modify the infopath form to include them.

Friday, May 4, 2012 12:52 AM