none
StorSimple Questions RRS feed

• Question

• Hi. I'm evaluating StorSimple at the moment, and my primary objective is looking at it for file services on-premises. Having looked at a few of the videos (like here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_OX-5WzHIA) for the VA, it seems you can publish CIFS shares. So, can this NAS function be equally used by the physical StorSimple appliances for a corporate Hybrid Cloud NAS? I would prefer NOT to use SS as an iSCSI back end to a Windows DFS file server.

Also, for on-premises physical appliances, for CIFS mode can clients be SMB 2.1 or do they need to be SMB 3.0?

My ultimate aim is a corporate NAS (30TB+) that kicks cold data out to Azure to reduce storage costs, and provide good DR.

Thanks

Thursday, January 14, 2016 2:23 PM

All replies

• Hi Darren,

The StorSimple Virtual Array supports SMB 3 and this includes pervious versions of the SMB protocol (Including SMB 2.1)

The native NAS functionality is only available on the Virtual Array. The physical appliance (ie 8100 or 8600) would require the use of a file server connected to its iSCSI storage.

Thanks

Mat.

MatD

Friday, January 15, 2016 6:39 AM
    Answerer
  • Thanks

Here comes an obvious question........ why is the NAS functionality only available on VA? Surely, please tell me, the NAS function is on the SS physical appliance roadmap?!

Friday, January 15, 2016 8:29 AM
  • There seem to be a few unanswered enquiries here about using SS as a replacement for on-site NAS with the advantage being the integration into the cloud storage for backup purposes.

But this answer seems to clearly state that SS will not replace a NAS and will in fact require the purchase of a full blown file server which the whole idea of a NAS is trying to avoid?

In our case the only files that should be on the cloud are backups. All files should be on-site unless we have specifically moved them to the cloud for long term archival. SS does not seem to be a good fit in this case but the answers are few and far between.

If SS does not do this then the purchase of a NAS with backup to cloud seems to be a much more sensible route.

Friday, September 2, 2016 2:05 AM