does user/computer has to be part of domain to query AD RRS feed

• Question

• User186897 posted

Hello All

Just a general question, which I am really keen to know...I want to query and extract data from active directory using my webapplication,

now the question is the user who uses my webapplication does he has to be a part of the domain,I mean does he has to be the user(with administrator rights on same AD) to access data from that AD,

or 

Does a user/computer who is not connected to domain or not the user of the domain can query AD from the webapplication...basically is it possible to make such application in which the user doesnot have to be the part of the domain to access AD using vb.net and Asp.net.

Wednesday, January 18, 2017 8:06 AM

All replies

• User197322208 posted

Any ASP.NET application has an application pool that runs under a user. Be sure that this user is part of the AD domain( it should not be admin to query the AD)

Wednesday, January 18, 2017 8:26 AM
  • User186897 posted

So u mean if a user is not a part of the domain then he cannot get connected to AD by any asp.nt application???

for a user to query AD, it HAS TO BE connected to domain...its compulsory?

Wednesday, January 18, 2017 8:33 AM
  • User197322208 posted

for a user to query AD, it HAS TO BE connected to domain...its compulsory?

Usually, yes. This is not because of .net application -- because of how ( usually ) AD is configureIf I am an AD admin, I do not want email addresses to be communicated to the outside world)

Wednesday, January 18, 2017 5:19 PM