Please Provide a PDO Driver RRS feed

• General discussion

• We are using Drupal one of the top three Open Source CMS systems (link), and would love to be able to use SQL Server.  We are not alone in this, however several community leaders have been very clear that a PDO driver is needed to make this happen.  A long discussion regarding the desire and the need for PDO is available here.  So, on behalf of the Drupal community I ask you to please provide a PDO driver.  Thank you.
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 12:10 AM

All replies

• Yes, please add a PDO driver.
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 2:01 AM
  • Would be great to see MS move in that direction!
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 12:37 PM
  • With PHP5 dominating the web more and more, the ability to connect to a MSSQL database rather easily through PDO could be make MSSQL a real competitor with the other large databases (which would be a good thing!).
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 12:56 PM
  • Thanks, everyone.  We appreciate the feedback.  We're pleased to hear that there is this much interest in a SQL Server driver for PDO, especially within the Drupal community.

We are investigating PDO at the moment as we work on the version 1.1 release of the SQL Server Driver for PHP.

David Sceppa
    Program Manager - SQL Server Driver for PHP
    Monday, May 4, 2009 5:06 PM
  • I'd like to support this from a user perspective, in a university. I'm running a long-standing Access database with asp as a web front end, the website now needs major development and extension. Drupal is easily the best option, but the future of MySQL is now less than certain, so investing resources in switching to MySQL is not appealing. So a solid Drupal-SQL Server link would be an attractive option, especially for an old Access user.
    Sunday, May 10, 2009 2:22 PM
  • Yeah, please.  Being able to integrate drupal with ms sql would make life so much easier.  So if it needs a PDO driver, then please please help us out.

Monday, June 1, 2009 1:47 PM
  • If its not too late, this would be a great idea!  As someone considering Drupal, but with a MS SQL requirement even for just accessing some data it would make life so much easier to directly connect to the database instead of having to jump through a dozen hoops.
    Thursday, June 25, 2009 8:37 PM
  • Would be great if this is possible.
    We need this driver too!
    Wednesday, July 1, 2009 9:26 AM
  • How far are you getting along with this? PHP 5.3.0 is now out and I'm wanting to drop my custom classes and start using the PDO with MSSQL.
    Wednesday, July 8, 2009 10:49 AM
  • Hang on.  There's already an ODBC PDO driver in PHP.  Why can't you use it with SQL Server?

"On Windows, PDO_ODBC is built into the PHP core by default. It is linked against the Windows ODBC Driver Manager so that PHP can connect to any database cataloged as a System DSN, and is the recommended driver for connecting to Microsoft SQL Server databases."
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 4:18 PM
  • We could.  However, there are several reasons not to.  First it doesn't support some of the more recent SQL Server functionality.  See here for an example.  Second, a native driver can be far faster than an ODBC driver.  In short a real PDO driver for SQL is much preferred to a generic ODBC driver.
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 4:37 PM
  • I read all of the posts from your link.  #166 and #170 seem to solve your problem, and specifically mention the ODBC "SQL Native Client " driver, which was new with SQL Server 2005.

I believe this is the same client used by the SQL Server driver for PHP.

If you create an ODBC system DSN for the "SQL Native Client" driver, you will have ODBC access which is as fast and functional as the SQL Server driver for PHP.

As far as nvarchar is concerned, you're always going to have to convert to and from whatever input/output/internal encoding you are using with PHP, using iconv or other api.  I haven't tested nvarchar(max) fields yet, but don't see why the new ODBC driver would return this any differently to nvarchar(4000).
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 6:17 PM
  • Not only the Drupal community, but the whole PHP community would like to see a unified way to access databases, PDO furfills this requirement quite nicely, provided there are good drivers. thereforI support this request.
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 4:11 PM
  • @David Sceppa

Dear David, I have just visited the DrupalCon in Paris and I have seen the new stuff coming up with Drupal 7, presented by "webchick".
    Please take a look here : http://www.archive.org/details/Drupal7StatusUpdateandNextSteps
    and you will see, that having PDO working for Drupal would have a great impact.

As I can see in the Tools you provide from Microsoft (Web Platform Installer 2.0 RC) for the IIS 7 , you already have a "oneclick" Install fro the Drupal 6.x integrated which works perfekt. So for me the next step would be the PDO, so we can prepare all for the Drupal 7 to be a standard on the Server 2008 and IIS7!

For those of you not knowing how to install PHP 5.x and Drupal 6.x on IIS7, just install this Platform Installer and its a no-brainer...
    http://www.microsoft.com/web/downloads/platform.aspx

David, I would apreciate to get an update from you here in the forum about the status quo of the PDO and where to download the latest Stable or beta Version.

Regards Andreas

Wednesday, September 16, 2009 11:05 AM
  • Hello,

Any update about the PDO driver ?
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 12:52 PM
  • Hi all

I've just opened an item on Connect to vote about that feature for SQL Server :
    https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/541956/pdo-driver-for-sql-server

Regards

Christian
    Christian Robert - MVP SQL Server
    Blog : http://blogs.codes-sources.com/christian/
    Groupe des Utilisateurs Francophone de SQL Server : http://www.guss.fr
    Monday, March 15, 2010 2:14 PM
  • Hi folks,

David Sceppa, the Program Manager for the SQL Server driver for PHP, has left Microsoft to pursue other opportunities. I've taken his place and have been ramping up over the last few months - drinking from the fire hose, so to speak. So busy that I haven't even been able to post an introductory blog.

I've been compiling all the feedback we've received so far, including survey/forums/bugs/emails/etc, and prioritizing them. Per my responses in this thread, I can't share our internal roadmap publicly yet. However, I can share that we are acting on that feedback and working on releasing a CTP of the next version.

Soon. Really soon but, for some I guess, not soon enough. ;-)

Please don't ask for dates, as I can't divulge that.

Best regards,
    Ashay Chaudhary - MSFT Program Manager, SQL Server Driver for PHP
    Wednesday, March 17, 2010 5:26 AM
  • Just a thought, I see specific requests for PDO for Drupal. There are some posts that mention other applications, but not which ones.

So, here's your opportunity to post back on which open source php applicaitons plan to, or currently do, use PDO. Proprietary source php applications are fine too, but please make sure you confirm you are doing so within company policy, I'd hate for anyone to get in trouble for this.

Thanks.

Ashay Chaudhary - MSFT Program Manager, SQL Server Driver for PHP
    Wednesday, March 17, 2010 5:29 AM
  • @Christian: We appreciate your using the Connect site to file the request. As you can see, we were working on it and were certainly glad to fulfill your request within a month or so.

@All: We appreciate your wanting to support SQL Server in your PHP applications. Now that we have released the CTP, we hope you find the time quickly to give this driver and send us your feedback.

In my blog announcing our PDO CTP, you can see that we were indeed fortunate to have the opportunity to support Commerce Guys in writing the contributed module to support SQL Server in Drupal 7. Damien Tournoud of Commerce Guys is incredibly knowledgeable and Drupal as well as Microsoft is very fortunate that Damien wanted to add support for SQL Server in Drupal 7. We will continue to support and coordinate with Damien as they progress towards their final release of the contributed module.

If you haven't read that blog post, I suggest you do as I do get a little into how we re-architected it to provide the best value in a relatively short amount of time.

@Robert: Your contributions on this forum are excellent, we value your support a lot. Yes, until we release our final version the PDO_ODBC driver is the best option today for production use. However, it isn't as fully featured to leverage a lot of the value SQL Server provides. With the way we re-architected our code base, you will see that most of the functional code has been thru a few CTPs and two releases and quite stable.

Of course, since we don't have a Linux driver, either the native API or PDO, PDO_ODBC continues to be the only option available at this time on the Linux platform.

Ashay Chaudhary Program Manager, SQL Server Driver for PHP
    Tuesday, May 4, 2010 3:47 PM