Where are the Metro templates in VS 11 Ultimate?

Question

• I installed Windows 8 with developer tools, then installed VS 11 Ultimate thinking I could develop Metro style apps with the Ultimate sku.  However, the metro templates appear to be missing now - is it possible to create metro apps with VS 11 ultimate?  If not, will uninstalling VS 11 Ultimate revert back to a point where VS 11 Express has the metro templates?

Saturday, September 24, 2011 9:01 PM

Answers

• I think I found the problem - I was using a hack to restore the classic start menu and I noticed that with it turned on the Metro templates do not show in either Blend or VS.  So, I would recommend not using that ;)  I'll try installing VS Ultimate again and see if it shows the templates.
    Sunday, September 25, 2011 9:44 PM

All replies

• You mentioned you installed Win8 with developer tools.  So you have the VS express on that machine right and are able to see the templates? 

Tim Heuer | Program Manager, XAML | http://timheuer.com/blog | @timheuer
    Sunday, September 25, 2011 12:14 AM
  • Yes, I installed the "with dev tools" version of Win8, and originally VS Express did have those templates.  However, once I installed VS 11 Ultimate the templates were gone.  I'll probably reinstall Win8 with tools and not install VS 11 Ultimate.
    Sunday, September 25, 2011 4:37 PM
  • I think I found the problem - I was using a hack to restore the classic start menu and I noticed that with it turned on the Metro templates do not show in either Blend or VS.  So, I would recommend not using that ;)  I'll try installing VS Ultimate again and see if it shows the templates.
    Sunday, September 25, 2011 9:44 PM
  • JamesCadd -- yes that would be it.  Recommend not using that hack anyway.
    Tim Heuer | Program Manager, XAML | http://timheuer.com/blog | @timheuer
    Sunday, September 25, 2011 9:57 PM
  • Just FYI... you can emulate the old start button (without any hack) by creating a toolbar that points to "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs".  to do this:

• Right click on the Taskbar
    • select Toolbars->NewToolbars...
    • select "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs"

This will provide access to the programs that show up on the Start Menu, but not impact any Metro style or Windows key/button.

Hope that is helpful,

SteveK

SteveK
    Friday, October 21, 2011 4:08 AM