none
Problem with NET Framework .4 and Turbo Tax (DEFEATED) RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have spent a frustrating day trying to resolve this issue.  I purchased Turbo Tax online and downloaded it successfully.  Upon installation it got to about 3% and gave me the error message "Net 4.0 Framework verification failed".  I went to the web, searched and tried several things suggested from blogs by Gupta and Stebner and others.  In desperation I contacted Turbo Tax support and was with a helpful individual.  If I remember we tried downloading Turbo Tax again, repairing Net 4, deleting Net 4, reinstalling Net 4 (it did not reinstall), creating another user account and installing Net 4 (it didn't) until he said that it was a MS problem and contact them.  There was an update for Net 4 but it seemed to hang and I cancelled it.  When I checked Add/Remove it appeared  I did manage to get NET 4. back under my user accout but it won't verify nor will it allow me to load Turbo Tax.

One of the members of this forum said to upload the vslogs.cab which is here:

https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?cid=a89fc465998a9219&resid=A89FC465998A9219!111&parid=A89FC465998A9219!109

Also if I remember there were instructions to run .Net Framework Verification utility and include first 20 and last 20 lines.

[03/22/12,21:44:34] Beginning of new SetupVerifier activity logging session
    [03/22/12,21:44:34] Activity log file location: C:\Users\Norm\AppData\Local\Temp\setupverifier_main_03-22-12_21.44.34.txt
    [03/22/12,21:44:34] Error log file location: C:\Users\Norm\AppData\Local\Temp\setupverifier_errors_03-22-12_21.44.34.txt
    [03/22/12,21:44:34] Build created on December 29, 2011
    [03/22/12,21:44:34] Detected operating system: Windows 7 (x64)
    [03/22/12,21:44:34] Install state for .NET Framework 1.0: not installed.
    [03/22/12,21:44:34] Install state for .NET Framework 1.1: not installed.
    [03/22/12,21:44:34] Install state for .NET Framework 2.0: installed with service pack 2.
    [03/22/12,21:44:34] Install state for .NET Framework 3.0: installed with service pack 2.
    [03/22/12,21:44:34] Install state for .NET Framework 3.5: installed with service pack 1.
    [03/22/12,21:44:34] Install state for .NET Framework 4 Client: installed with no service packs.
    [03/22/12,21:44:34] Install state for .NET Framework 4 Full: not installed.
    [03/22/12,21:44:34] Not adding product '.NET Framework 1.0' because it is not currently installed
    [03/22/12,21:44:34] Not adding product '.NET Framework 1.1' because it is not currently installed
    [03/22/12,21:44:34] Not adding product '.NET Framework 1.1 SP1' because it is not currently installed
    [03/22/12,21:44:34] Not adding product '.NET Framework 2.0' because it is not currently installed
    [03/22/12,21:44:34] Not adding product '.NET Framework 2.0 SP1' because it is not currently installed
    [03/22/12,21:44:34] Not adding product '.NET Framework 3.0' because it is not currently installed
    [03/22/12,21:44:34] Not adding product '.NET Framework 3.0 SP1' because it is not currently installed
    [03/22/12,21:44:34] Not adding product '.NET Framework 3.5' because it is not currently installed
    [03/22/12,21:44:34] Not adding product '.NET Framework 4 Full' because it is not currently installed
    [03/22/12,21:44:40] Starting verification for product .NET Framework 4 Client

Last 20

[03/22/12,21:44:42] Key: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v4\Client
     Value: TargetVersion
     Expected Data: 4.0.0
     Actual Data: 4.0.0
    [03/22/12,21:44:42] Key: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v4\Client
     Value: Version
     Actual Data: REGISTRY VALUE FOUND
    [03/22/12,21:44:42] Section [Registry - .NET Framework 4 Client (Wow6432Node)] - stop parsing entries
    [03/22/12,21:44:42] Processing custom action 'Custom Action - .NET Framework 4.0 test application'
    [03/22/12,21:44:42] ExecutablePath = 'Netfx40TestApplication.exe'
    [03/22/12,21:44:42] FriendlyName = '.NET Framework 4 test application'
    [03/22/12,21:44:42] TimeoutSeconds = '300'
    [03/22/12,21:44:42] WaitOnExit = 'true'
    [03/22/12,21:44:42] Silent = 'true'
    [03/22/12,21:44:42] Launching process 'Netfx40TestApplication.exe' now
    [03/22/12,21:44:42] Process successfully launched. Waiting 300 seconds for it to complete.
    [03/22/12,21:44:42] ****ERROR**** Process 'Netfx40TestApplication.exe' exited with return code -1
    [03/22/12,21:44:42] ****ERROR**** Verification failed for product .NET Framework 4 Client

I have been down so many paths I  am not sure wher I am.  Any help would be appreciated. 

Norm

• Edited by NormThiel Tuesday, March 27, 2012 2:20 AM
    Friday, March 23, 2012 2:25 AM

Answers

• Varun,

When the updates installed it only got worse.  TT gave me an error message "CLR error 80004005".  Went to Control Panel/uninstall and it would not recognize the program (no repair or uninstall)  Went to Control Panel/uninstall Extended to repair and it would rollback.  Uninstalled Extended and then I could uninstall TT.

I am at the end of trying.  I agree that there may be something corrupt in the OS and that is beyond me.  I don't have a disk to try repair of MS PRO as it was a download.  HP is not much help as that is the Home Edition and according to what they have on their repair it will restore the original as shipped from the factory Home Edition and I loose everything else.

So I give up.  I am going to take the laptop to a friend who has a PC repair business specializing in networks and software more than hardware.  Let him take a crack at it.

Let you know

Thanks

Norm

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 2:31 AM

All replies

• Your vslogs show several issues with your procedures, but the core issue is here (from the latest .NET 4.0 install log):

"INSTALLMESSAGE_ERROR [There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. Please refer to the setup log for more information. ]
     MSI (C:\Users\Norm\AppData\Local\Temp\Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Setup_4.0.30319\netfx_Core_x64.msi) Installation failed. Msi Log: Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Setup_20120322_200439519-MSI_netfx_Core_x64.msi.txt
     PerformOperation returned 1603 (translates to HRESULT = 0x80070643)"

This particular problem is fairly common and often results from not cleaning up and preparing for the framework install.

Please follow these steps exactly and completely.

1. Download a fresh copy of the standalone installer for .NET Framework 4.0:

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=17718

2. Before running the installer, apply irarab's fix as follows:

"I went to "C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET" there is a directory called "assembly".

I looked in the directory and found some subdirectories with lots of old dot net 4 files. I renamed the directory assembly2 and tried to install Dot Net 4 and it worked!!!!

(You can't delete the assembly directory unless you take ownership of it but you can rename it.)"

Also, clear your %temp% directory and disable your AV software.

The %temp% directory is a reference to the Temp folder associated with the current user. To clear it, do the following:

Sign on to your system with the Administrator user account you will use to run the installer. Click the Start Orb and type %temp% in the search box. The search results will show the Temp folder you want. Click on the Temp folder to open it in Windows Explorer, then delete the entire contents.

3. Run the standalone installer from step 1 As Administrator.

Note: Just using an administrator account is NOT enough. To activate full privileges, you must right-click the installer, then select Run as administrator.

If the install fails, provide complete install logs as follows:

Please collect your install logs with this:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=E0DA314F-6216-4A18-BC6B-7D29CF83AF20&displaylang=e&displaylang=en

After you run Collect.exe, you'll find vslogs.cab in your %temp% directory. Please upload vslogs.cab to a public site, like SkyDrive, and post the link here.

Friday, March 23, 2012 3:22 AM
  • Thanks for the response.

1.  Downloaded a copy of standalone after closing Norton antivirus and firewall. 

2.  Went to Assembly folder but nothing was in it.

3. Ran standalone, it started to load but had fatal error.

Here is the vslog:

https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?cid=a89fc465998a9219&resid=A89FC465998A9219!112&parid=A89FC465998A9219!109

Friday, March 23, 2012 4:55 AM
  • The details of the failure are here:

"Failed to install assembly C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\Microsoft.VisualC.STLCLR.dll"

Assembly failures such as this often require OS reinstall. Read Andrew.Wu's answer here:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/netfxsetup/thread/e9a64979-c38c-4d28-88f6-22ba1bb51f89 

Friday, March 23, 2012 1:32 PM
  • Hello again,

Between last night and your reply I tried installing .net 4 standalone again with all the updates.  Firewall off etc.  Still no luck as I get the same rollback it seems.  Here is the latest vslog:  https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?cid=a89fc465998a9219&resid=A89FC465998A9219!113&parid=A89FC465998A9219!109

I am hesitant to do an OS install.  It is beyond my expertise I believe.  There is too much at stake if I screw things up.  Besides if I remember thaere was not even a backup disk provided when I bought this laptop HP G72 a year and half ago.

Are there any other solutions?

Norm

Friday, March 23, 2012 3:19 PM
  • BTW I did find the correct Assembly folder and renamed it.  Also deleted temp folder except for one text file that would not delete.
    Friday, March 23, 2012 3:21 PM
  • Hello Norm,

I'm sorry to hear that you are running into installation issues. The installation logs indicate that .NET4 is successfully installed on your computer.

Can you go to "Windows Programs and Features" and check if entries for .NET Framework 4 Client Profile and .NET Framework 4 Extended are present?  If yes, then double click on .NET Framework 4 Extended and select option to repair.

Just post the results of the repair operation.

Thanks,

Varun

Varun Gupta - MSFT

Friday, March 23, 2012 4:11 PM
  • Varun,

I thought that the vslogs showed that information.   Both are present.   I ran repair on both Client and Extended and the repair failed and there was a roll back on Client sooner than the Extended.  Both had the same error 0x 80070643.  I can do it again if necessary and copy the log at the point of failure if you like.

My wife has an identical computer (HP G72) running Windows 7 Home Premium Service pack 1.  I have however upgraded to Windows 7 Professional Service pack 1.  I also have installed on my machine Virtual Machine w/XP mode.  I was able to download Turbo Tax to her computer without any problems, but I would like to have it work on my computer if possible.

Any other information you need, please let me know.

Thanks

Norm

Friday, March 23, 2012 4:36 PM
  • Hello,

I was reading some of the other posts to see if there was anything I could do.  I ran Stebners's verification tool on 4 Extended, Client and 3.5.  It failed on Extended and Client but passed on 3.5.  Here is the Error log that was created.

https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?cid=a89fc465998a9219&resid=A89FC465998A9219!114&parid=A89FC465998A9219!109

Can anyone shed any light on what is causing 4 Standalone or Client to fail?

In searching the web I found this:

http://blog.crosbydrive.com/?tag=0x80070643

(by the comments it worked for some, not for others)

My customer was trying
    to install TurboTax 2011 on his Windows 7 x64 install and got into an endless
    loop where TurboTax wants to install or “correct” some issue with Microsoft
    .NET 4. Alas, allowing the software to do this just results in the computer
    re-booting over and over again, hopelessly trying to do something with .NET 4.
    If you look under covers, you’ll see you’re getting an error 0×80070643.

Looking at Intuit’s
    site, it appears that their ultimate fix for this is to recommend abandoning
    their product and using the online version <shrug>. Here is what I did to fix the problem.

1. Uninstall Microsoft .NET 4
      using the control panel and add/remove programs
    2. For good measure, you might
      want to disable your antivirus program, I did, but I doubt this was necessary
    3. Download the.NET clean-up tool from
      the second part of this Microsoft kb article
      and
      clean-up .NET 4
    4. Go to
      C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET and change the name of the folder called “assembly” to
      “assumbly2″ as described in
      this
      brilliant solution by irarab
    5. Reboot
    6. Download the .NET
      4.0 installer from here
      and run it, .NET 4.0
      should now install successfully.
    7. Try your TurboTax
      installation disc now

I have done things similar to this in the past but without the cleanup tool, so I doubt I have anything to loose by trying it.  Will post the results.

Norm

• Edited by NormThiel Saturday, March 24, 2012 3:29 PM
    Saturday, March 24, 2012 2:40 PM
  • All,

I followed the above to a "T" except for the reinstall.  I went with some previous suggestions to install standalone.  I noticed during the re-install that it installs client and extended. Took about 10 minutes. 

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=17718

Everything installed flawlessly as far as I can see.  I haven't re-booted or checked if there are any updates for the client or extended.

Nevertheless when I extracted Turbotax from the downloaded file it loaded successfully.

I do not know if this will work for everyone, but it appears that it worked for me at this point.  Time will tell and I will post if I have problems.

Thanks for everone's help.

Norm

Saturday, March 24, 2012 3:38 PM
  • Well, not quite back to square one but almost.  Everything went fine on the install of Turbotax 2011.  No errors etc.  Went to launch and initial logo screen flashed and then nothing.  Went to folder and from what I can see it appears all there.  Tried repair on Turbo Tax and still would not launch.  Went to support on TT and there was a suggestion to make sure all updates installed.  In the process of installing updates.  Let you know how it goes.
    Saturday, March 24, 2012 4:37 PM
  • Let me know how it goes for you...

Varun Gupta - MSFT

Sunday, March 25, 2012 7:19 PM
  • Varun,

When the updates installed it only got worse.  TT gave me an error message "CLR error 80004005".  Went to Control Panel/uninstall and it would not recognize the program (no repair or uninstall)  Went to Control Panel/uninstall Extended to repair and it would rollback.  Uninstalled Extended and then I could uninstall TT.

I am at the end of trying.  I agree that there may be something corrupt in the OS and that is beyond me.  I don't have a disk to try repair of MS PRO as it was a download.  HP is not much help as that is the Home Edition and according to what they have on their repair it will restore the original as shipped from the factory Home Edition and I loose everything else.

So I give up.  I am going to take the laptop to a friend who has a PC repair business specializing in networks and software more than hardware.  Let him take a crack at it.

Let you know

Thanks

Norm

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 2:31 AM
  • What Intuit
    reps do not tell you is that the installation problem is NOT with your .NET framework 4 installations, but with a .net verification tool that is used in TT installation package. It reports missing files in your .NET installation
    assembly and fails the attempt to install it. However, these same files are in place, at least for the most of you. They are just not accessible with the permissions that are set for a user, even if you have admin rights on your PC. To verify that you can go to C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\assembly\GAC_MSIL\WindowsFormsIntegration\
    and try to drill down to a subfolder. If you cannot do it (access denied), so does the verification tool. You can change permissions for the assembly and all of its subfolders at your own risk. I did, and was able to install TT (Win 7 64 Bit). Maybe  the safer way would be to copy the assembly folders, rename it and change permissions of the original one. This way you can swap names later on and restore the settings, without changing the permissions again. <o:p></o:p>

You can also run the verification tool yourself before running the TT install again. If you made at least one unsuccessful attempt to install TT you can find this tool in a temp folder – notice that <ckz…> folder name would be similar, but
    different<o:p></o:p>

C:\Users\<Your User Name>\AppData\Local\Temp\ckz_37WG\Prerequisites <o:p></o:p>

File name is netfx_setupverifier.exe<o:p></o:p>

Saturday, April 7, 2012 6:20 AM
  • ===  My System  ======================

TurboTax version =  Premier 2012  ( CD edition )

Windows version =  Windows 7 Pro w/SP1,  64 bit

NET version  =  4.0  was loaded on my computer when I first attempted TurboTax installation

==================================

I tried just about everything.   Including uninstalling NET from my computer, cleaning up the leftover files and settings (with the cleanup software mentioned by others above).  Changing 'permissions' on my folders, etc., etc.   I did uninstalls & re-installs many times over and in different ways. I would install Net 4.0 alone or 4.5 alone or 3.5, then 4.0, then 4.5, etc., etc.

Nothing seemed to work.  I also noticed that the netfx_setupverifier.exe  program always seemed to fail.  It failed in ways that had absolutely nothing to do with Turbo Tax.

===== The bottom line cause of this problem ========

As far as I can tell without further testing is:  no version of  NET 4.0 and 4.5  that I could find, download and install from any Microsoft site would install 100% correctly on my computer.  It would always fail the tests done with verification software and it would always fail the preliminary test that TurboTax would run at the start of a TurboTax install.

===== The solution  (worked for me at least) ========

Alter your computer such that it doesn't have NET 4.0 or 4.5 on it  BEFORE you attempt to install Turbotax!

1)  Download the  3  pieces of software you are going to need.

( See the bottom of these instructions ).

2)  If you have a version of  NET that is higher than 3.5 on your system:

Uninstall  NET  (using the normal Windows uninstall capabilities from the Control Panel)

3)   Run the  NET cleanup tool,  cleanup_tool.exe,  also mentioned by an earlier poster

Note:  I'm pretty sure you can skip step 1 and just do step 2.  You may even be able to do step 1 and skip step 2.  I'm not going to experiment any more on that because...  I'm a bit burnt out due to many hours of pulling my hair out.  LOL.

4)  Download and install  Net 3.5    or   Net 3.5 SP1

If you run the verification tool now,  it should show success (at least, it did for me).

5)  NOW...  install TurboTax 2012.   TurboTax will handle the installation of NET 4.0 on your machine for you.  ( The version of NET 4.0 that they have included on their CD is obviously different in some way than all the versions that I found on Microsoft websites ).   After TTax has finished giving you NET 4.0,  it will proceed to install the actual tax software for you.

=====================================================

Here are locations where you can find the verification tool, cleanup tool and  NET 3.5

Though,  I found  them elsewhere,  I see that you can download both the cleanup and verification tools from Softpedia.  Just go to www.softpedia.com and do a quick search for them.

.NET Framework Setup Verification Utility

.NET Framework Cleanup Tool

or....  just use this link:     :-)

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Programming/Other-Programming-Files/NET-Framework-Setup-Verification-Utility.shtml

Here's the  link to  .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 (full package):

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=25150

I hope this helps someone.   It's late.  I'm tired.   And,  I just did a lot of typing for nothing if it doesn't help anyone!!!     :-)

Thursday, April 11, 2013 9:09 AM
  • Small Correction to my prior post:

In the Step (3) note:   it's steps 2 & 3  that you may be able to do a different way  ( not steps

1 and 2 ).   

Thursday, April 11, 2013 9:14 AM
  • Not bad......but now, it's not finding the Installer file.  : (

Back to the drawing board....

Friday, September 13, 2013 1:47 AM
  • There was no need to use Net frame with tax software before the ugly birth of NET Framework.  Today they still want to continue to push users to use NET Framework that is a piece of sofware that comes with more problems as it goes along with time:  Waste of time in the installation or removal process, online data download that takes ages, errors and start again and again, software that is unable to fix the issues, encryptions problems.  There is all of the bad luck that they need because doing so they give more work to technicians.  It reminds me the window brakers of New York but this time there is a spin with the cooperation of the government.

Saturday, April 23, 2016 2:28 PM