Visual Studio Community 2015 Hangs On First Step Of Installation RRS feed

• Question

• I have been attempting to install VS2015 Community on Windows 10. This Windows install isn't completely fresh, but it was done clean recently and hasn't been used for much. No other development tools have been installed except for git. This machine also dual boots with Ubuntu 16.10.

The symptoms are as follows:

• Installer hangs after "acquiring" stage

I had an image showing exactly where it hangs but I am not allowed to post it. As a description:

• The installer window will have the progress bar under Acquiring be full, with no further messages indicating that it has anything left to acquire. The progress bar under Applying will remain blank, with "Microsoft Visual Studio Enterprise 2015" underneath. Two processes called vs_community.exe will be running, with one process named VSSetupUtility.exe running.

I am attempting to do a custom installation, installing the Visual C++ packages under Languages but nothing else.

If I cancel the installation, the installer will tell me that 0 out of 228 (or thereabouts) packages were installed. The VSSetupUtility.exe process won't quit with the installer, and multiple copies of it can be produced by running the installer to the same stage again.

I have attempted to do the following things:

• Install from web installer
    • Install from ISO
    • Turn off Windows Defender and disable ethernet adapter
    • Restart computer with ethernet adapter turned off
    • Kill VSSetupUtility.exe to allow the installation to continue and then repair the installation (this did sort of work, in that some of the items did spend 30 minutes installing before it got to another hung item. VS was unable to open, likely because it was never actually installed, and the repair produced exactly the same results as attempting to install in the first place.)
    • Run VSSetupUtility.exe directly from the ISO (does nothing)

I have attempted to search but not found, so far, anyone else with this specific problem. Other people I've seen with hung item installation problems usually encounter them further into the install process, and will be able to run Visual Studio afterwards but with missing functionality. In this case it is failing from the very beginning and Visual Studio is never installed.

I don't have high hopes of getting this fixed except maybe some time in the future, or with a future version of Visual Studio, but it's worth a shot.

• Edited by dljf Monday, November 21, 2016 10:59 PM
    Monday, November 21, 2016 10:57 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi dljf,

Welcome to MSDN forum.

if you are not allowed to attach the pictures, you need to ask for a requirement in the following thread to verify your account:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/23148b73-9258-42a7-9d38-ad2e910d18a4/verify-your-account-37?forum=reportabug

For your issue, I listed some possible reasons below, please check them:

(1) Installing visual studio requires administrative privilege, so please make sure that your account is the administrator and you have run it as administrator.

(2) Installing Visual Studio requires your windows updated to the latest, please go to Windows Update to check whether there is the update, if there is, please install the update first and then restart your machine.

(3) Besides, we need to make sure that the package is no corrupted, to verify the integrity of the ISO file, please use the FCIV.exe tool to check the SHA1 value of the ISO, the expected value comes from here, any discrepancy means the ISO is corrupted.

After making sure the ISO file is ok, please install Visual Studio 2015.

If this issue persists, I need your help to the installation log. Please use http://aka.ms/vscollect to gather the installation logs. After using it, you will find vslogs.zip under %temp% folder. Please upload the file to https://onedrive.live.com/ and share the link here.

Best regards,

Joyce

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, November 22, 2016 9:54 AM
  • No updates were available to install, ran as administrator. Redownloaded the ISO onto a different drive and the hash was checked in four different ways: once when the download manager finished, once with fciv.exe, once with 7-zip and once with CertUtil in PowerShell. All four ways passed.

I've uploaded the log collection here: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ag1YFRNDvZzTgibocA07AHnY3USU

Tuesday, November 22, 2016 9:34 PM
  • Hi dljf,

Thank you for your update.

>>Could not create system restore point, error: 0x80070422. Continuing...

This is a Windows Update error. To try and resolve the Windows Update error code 0x80070422, use the following tips:

1. Click Start, click Run, type services.msc, and then click OK.
    2. In the list of services, find Windows Update, and then click Properties.
    3. In the Startup type list, click Automatic, and then click Apply.
    4. If Service status is set to Stopped, click Start, and then click OK.

Best regards,

Joyce

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 23, 2016 2:18 AM
  • Hi Joyce,

I did as instructed, checked for further updates (none were available) and then restarted the computer and ran the installer as administrator again. Unfortunately the behaviour of the installer remained the same.

Here are the further logs https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ag1YFRNDvZzTgibocA07AHnY3USU

Wednesday, November 23, 2016 6:31 PM
  • Hi dljf,

Thank you for your update.

I recommend you could use /layout command for the offline installation of visual studio community 2015.

It allows you to download the full set of files to a local folder, and this folder has all the necessary files for offline installation.
    1. Run the following command at a command prompt: <executable name> /layout.
    This command downloads all the packages for the installation.
    2. After you run the command, you should be prompted for the download location. Enter the location, and then choose Download.
    3. When the package download is successful, all specified components have been acquired successfully.
    In the file location that you specified, find the executable file and the package folder. This is everything you need to copy to a shared location or install media.
    You can now run the installation from the file location or the install media.

Reference link:
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/e2h7fzkw(v=vs.140).aspx#bkmk_offline

Best regards,

Joyce

Thursday, November 24, 2016 8:47 AM
  • Hi Joyce

I ran vs_installer.exe /layout and let it download everything it wanted. It ended up with a 25.6GB folder. Unfortunately, running the installer from there still produced the same results.

Thursday, November 24, 2016 10:04 PM
  • Hi dljf,

Thank you for your update.>>Could not create system restore point, error: 0x80070422. Continuing...

Please refer to the thread:https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/fa7c62ad-13a1-4211-9d6c-1dcccd823775/remote-tools-for-visual-studio-2012-update-1-fails-to-install-on-surface-rt-slate?forum=vssetup

1. Click Start, click Run, type services.msc, and then click OK
    2. Stop two services: "Background Intelligent Transfer Service", & "Windows Update".
    3. Rename folder C:\windows\SoftwareDistribution\ to C:\Windows\SDTemp
    4. Restart two services.

Best regards,

Joyce

• Marked as answer by dljf Friday, November 25, 2016 7:34 PM
    Friday, November 25, 2016 9:11 AM
  • Hi Joyce,

I've marked your last reply as the answer. Visual Studio is now installed and functioning.

Thanks.

Friday, November 25, 2016 7:34 PM