none
Has Kinect brightness sensor? [brightness sensor access request] RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

As we know, Kinect usually works at 30 frames per second, but in low light operating at 15 frames per second (to increase the exposure time). This makes me think that Kinect has a brightness sensor to, does it? If so, is it possible to get the value of this sensor? We are planning to develop a project for shop windows, and sometimes the sun may interfere too much with the IR sensor (certain times of day for example). We want to disable the interactions when the luminosity is too high.

Thank you.

Monday, October 13, 2014 2:30 PM

All replies

• I don't think too much light and IR interference are 2 different issues.

Use the IR/Depth data as your guide in this case. With IR, each pixel value is an intensity value which you can average over the active region you are targeting. You should have known depth values since you are typically not going to be moving the sensor and will have some idea of what values you should be getting as part of calibration.

You can record KStudio clips for different times of day and average those out and decide what works for you.

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Monday, October 13, 2014 5:52 PM
  • I assume that camera itself acts as the "brightness sensor". If the image is to bright or too dark the SDK automatically adjusts the exposure accordingly.

You can use the ColorCameraSettings class (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/microsoft.kinect.colorcamerasettings.aspx) to read the automatically adjusted exposure time and gain.

Both of these settings work together to control the exposure. Half of the exposure time is half the brightness, and 3db more of gain is twice as bright.

This won't give you a precise luminance value or anything, but you should be able to use it to detect daylight.

Hope that helps!

• Proposed as answer by sam598 Monday, October 13, 2014 5:52 PM
    Monday, October 13, 2014 5:52 PM
  • Thank you both for your answers, I will try the two solutions in the future.
    Tuesday, October 14, 2014 7:59 AM