How do I install Expression Blend 5 for the Dev Preview when I already have Win8 and VS Express 11?

Question

• Can you give me a pointer to the installation?
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 11:02 PM

Answers

• Yes, simply install "Windows Developer Preview with developer tools English, 64-bit (x64)" from http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/apps/br229516

With the VS Express preview, if you are developing in JavaScript + HTML5, then you would need use Blend 5 as the designer. If you are using VB, C#, or C++, then you would use the VS Express built-in XAML designer.

Dan

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 11:55 PM
  • Not one that is identical to the "Windows Developer Preview with developer tools English, 64-bit (x64)" image.  That said, you can install the Visual Studio 11 Prevew on 32-bit Windows Developer Preview:

For more details please see

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/jasonz/archive/2011/09/14/announcing-visual-studio-11-developer-preview.aspx:

Today in the BUILD keynote I had the opportunity to show some of the new functionality in Microsoft® Visual Studio® 11 Developer Preview and Microsoft® Team Foundation Server Preview. MSDN subscribers can download the previews today as well as the new release of .NET Framework 4.5 Developer Preview; general availability is on Friday, September 16.

Thursday, September 15, 2011 3:33 PM
  • Yes.

I tested this and confirmed with the Visual Studio team that the Visual Studio 11 developer preview does not have Blend or the SDK components necessary to compile metro applications.  This means the only supported image for writing metro applications is the "Windows Developer Preview with developer tools English, 64-bit (x64)" image.  Sorry for the confusion there.  You can use Visual Studio 11 on the 32-bit version for .NET and Win32 app development.

The process that ksmith77 has not been tested by Microsoft, but it may do what you need.

Dan

Monday, September 19, 2011 9:48 PM

All replies

• If you have the image named "Windows Developer Preview with developer tools English, 64-bit (x64)" from http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/apps/br229516, then Blend 5 is already preinstalled.  It is on the start menu and you can also find it by searching Apps.

If this doesn't answer your question, which Windows Developer Preview have you installed?

Dan

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 11:10 PM
  • I don't know what version I have. I downloaded it from an internal site and later installed VS Express 11. I created the HelloWorld app, and I get an error that the designer did not load. I thought I got the error because I don't have Blend.
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 11:18 PM
  • I can start over and get "Windows Developer Preview with developer tools English, 64-bit (x64)." I was hoping to avoid starting over.
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 11:27 PM
  • Yes, simply install "Windows Developer Preview with developer tools English, 64-bit (x64)" from http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/apps/br229516

With the VS Express preview, if you are developing in JavaScript + HTML5, then you would need use Blend 5 as the designer. If you are using VB, C#, or C++, then you would use the VS Express built-in XAML designer.

Dan

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 11:55 PM
  • Is there a 32 bit download?
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 5:16 AM
  • Not one that is identical to the "Windows Developer Preview with developer tools English, 64-bit (x64)" image.  That said, you can install the Visual Studio 11 Prevew on 32-bit Windows Developer Preview:

For more details please see

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/jasonz/archive/2011/09/14/announcing-visual-studio-11-developer-preview.aspx:

Today in the BUILD keynote I had the opportunity to show some of the new functionality in Microsoft® Visual Studio® 11 Developer Preview and Microsoft® Team Foundation Server Preview. MSDN subscribers can download the previews today as well as the new release of .NET Framework 4.5 Developer Preview; general availability is on Friday, September 16.

Thursday, September 15, 2011 3:33 PM
  • I installed that but it doesn't include Expression Blend 5. Visual studio 11 includes metro templates but when building a metro app,  there are errors that the windows modern sdk is missing. What download do I need for that? So far, I installed the 32 bit windows developer preview with apps and the 32 bit visual studio 11 developer preview. 
    Friday, September 16, 2011 4:29 AM
  • So, you're basically saying that there's no way to get the Blend 5 preview release without downloading the copy of Win8 with dev tools ?
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 7:22 PM
  • I found a workaround to get blend 5 on Windows 8 32-bit and 64-bit w/o tools.
    Download "Windows 8 Developer Preview with developer tools English, 64-bit (x64)"
    Mount the image in explorer
    Copy install.wim from the Sources folder to your C: drive
    Create a folder in C: named win8
    run CMD as administrator
    at the promt type: dism /Mount-Wim /wimfile:C:\install.wim /index:1 /MountDir:C:\win8
    copy the "C:\win8\Promgam Files (x86)\Microsoft Expression" folder to your "Program Files" folder for 32-bit or "Program Files (x86) folder for 64-bit
    One note: I had already installed Visual studio 11 developer preview and Expression Studio 4, not sure if that would make a difference.
    While you got the img mounted copy the bin and Include folders from "C:\win8\Program FIles (x86)\Windows Kits\8.0" to your "Program Files" or "Program FIles (x86)" folder so your metro apps will build.
    There are other ways to do this.
    You can use GImageX to mount install.wim instead of using command line or Install "Windows 8 Developer Preview with developer tools English, 64-bit (x64)" in a VM and copy the files.

• Edited by ksmith77 Sunday, September 18, 2011 1:04 AM
    Sunday, September 18, 2011 12:56 AM
  • Yes.

I tested this and confirmed with the Visual Studio team that the Visual Studio 11 developer preview does not have Blend or the SDK components necessary to compile metro applications.  This means the only supported image for writing metro applications is the "Windows Developer Preview with developer tools English, 64-bit (x64)" image.  Sorry for the confusion there.  You can use Visual Studio 11 on the 32-bit version for .NET and Win32 app development.

The process that ksmith77 has not been tested by Microsoft, but it may do what you need.

Dan

Monday, September 19, 2011 9:48 PM
  • Will this work on Windows 7? I just want to get a look at Blend and not install everything on another machine.
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 4:46 PM
  • While you could get the tools running on Windows 7, testing the metro apps you write would require Windows 8. It would probably be easier to just install Windows 8 with Developer Tools in a virtual machine. I couldn't get it to install using VMWare Workstation 7 but it worked perfectly with VMWare Workstation 8. Haven't tested it with Virtual PC yet.

I also tried virtualbox and it didn't work so well.

• Edited by ksmith77 Wednesday, September 21, 2011 12:18 AM Added virtualbox info
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 12:14 AM
  • Thanks. I have a spare box and installed the Win8 preview to that.
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 10:57 PM