How to force rebuild of Document explorer index manually

Question

• On my Visa machine I have installed VStudio Team Suite, Team Foundation Client, and VStudio DB professional. all upgraded to SP1 (took me 4 hours to update :-)

After installing Windows Mobile 5 PPC SDK, the document explorer always crashes when trying to rebuild its documentation (it gets to 768 MB memory use and than crashes in HXDS.DLL; online error report never comes up). For this program worked befor install of WM5 SDK, I would like to clear the help index and remove all WM5 files from it.

But I can't find any information about how to force a complete new build of the help index or how to build an index that excludes some help files.

Is there such an information or what can I do to completely remove any information Document Explorer has cached about the help files on disk?

Guenter from Frankfurt/Germany

Sunday, February 25, 2007 6:58 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello Guenter,

Adding and removing individual Help Collections in the Visual Studio IDE Help Contents window is done through the Visual Studio Combined Help Collection Manager.

1. In the Visual Studio IDE, go to Help (on the main toolbar) > Search.
    2. In the Search page address bar, type in Visual Studio Combined Help Collection Manager, and then click the Search button.
    3. In the Search Results page that opens, click on the topic Visual Studio Combined Help Collection Manager (normally the first result at the top of the list).
    4. When the Manager page opens, look through the list of different Help Collections for the one(s) you wish to remove.
    5. Uncheck the checkbox next to each Help Collection you wish to remove.
    6. At the bottom of the page, click on the Update VSCC button.
    7. Two Message boxes will appear sequentially saying that Visual Studio needs to restarted in order for the requested actions to take place. Click Ok in each message box.
    8. Close Visual Studio and then re-open it.
    9. Please be patient while Visual Studio de-registers the Help Collections you chose for removal.

This process may also be used to add Help Collections to the Help Contents window. May I suggest that you add the Visual Studio Combined Help Collection Manager page to your Help Favorites list? This will speed up getting to it in future for any other adjustments you need to make to the various Help collections in the Help Contents window.

Hope this helps, and please let us know if these actions have resolved the problem?

Kind regards,

Frank

• Proposed as answer by cjb110 Wednesday, March 04, 2009 7:19 PM
    Monday, February 26, 2007 5:00 AM
  • Frank,

I do know about that method, but how can I access it when Document Explorer (you know, that's the application that hosts all help files for Visual Studio...) crashes before it even displays it's first window (besides the dialog "reflecting help changes")?

Guenter

Monday, February 26, 2007 11:53 AM
  • Hi Guenter,

Have you tried doing a full Repair to the Document Explorer, and if that did not work a full Repair to the MSDN Library? If neither of these worked, then uninstalling the SDK, testing the Document Explorer, and then re-installing the SDK may help.

Frank

Monday, February 26, 2007 3:01 PM
  • Frank,

I'll try that...

But I'm somewhat tired of repairing, uninstalling, applying fixes and service packs. Obviously, using Vista and Visual Studio (at least in an advanced scenario...) seems to request a lot of patience...

I'll keep you (all) posted.

Guenter

Monday, February 26, 2007 6:41 PM
  • Hi Guenter,

Thanks for your reply, and my aplogies for my late response to it.

After some research, and based on the fact you're running Vista, the following items may be of help. They consist of two threads which were posted here involving Vista/VS2005 issues and paths to the VS2005 Extensions for .Net Framework 3.0, which is generic to Vista. Also, the link to the latest pre-release of VS 2007 (Orcas) is included:

I do appreciate and respect the fact that you've been through numerous repairs, re-installs etc. However, I hope that these items may add to a solution for you.

Kind regards,

Frank

Thursday, March 01, 2007 6:17 AM
  • Frank,

thanks for your search and the links; especially the one for the vista problems.

My problem has indeed been solved by uninstalling the windows Mobile 5 Compact Framework SDK and the MSDN Visual Studio library and reinstalling it; currently all of the products run within document explorer.

A clue came from document explorer itself: if you start it with /?, it displays a help page (thanks to MS for that). So I could find out that DE can run with different help sets, which led me to the discovery that DE runs well when started from SQL 2005 management studio; so it couldn't be a DE problem itself. Obvisously, I had had a problem with MSDN that could only be fixed with reinstalling it; I blame it on installing too many VS versions (couldn't resist :-).

Again, many thanks for your help

Guenter

Thursday, March 01, 2007 6:34 AM
  • Hi Guenter,

I think our thanks go to you! Posting your solution will help other Forum members in a similar situation and act as a reference for all.

Kind regards,

Frank

Thursday, March 01, 2007 6:59 AM
  • I think I have a solution when we have problems to rebuild the index :

- Go to the folder Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data

- Go to the security and enlarge the access rights (total control) for you and more if possible

- And maybe, unmark read-only access right

- Open the VS help

It seems that some applications change the security settings when installing...

• Edited by Louis10 Monday, December 10, 2012 3:15 PM
    Monday, December 10, 2012 3:14 PM