How can I make a DateTimePicker display an empty string? vb. net RRS feed

• Question

• hai , help I would like to be able to display a DateTimePicker that has a default value of nothing but not like this

DateTimePicker1.CustomFormat = " "
    because in database will input 1 space

• Edited by john 1123 Monday, June 5, 2017 5:46 PM
    Monday, June 5, 2017 5:46 PM

All replies

•  Then why not just check what the Format is first.  If it is a space " ",  then insert a null value into the Database.  If it is not a space,  then insert the date value.

If DateTimePicker1.Format = DateTimePickerFormat.Custom AndAlso DateTimePicker1.CustomFormat = " " Then
                'enter a Null value to the database
            Else
                'enter DateTimePicker1.Value into the database
            End If

If you say it can`t be done then i`ll try it

Monday, June 5, 2017 6:02 PM
  • hai , help I would like to be able to display a DateTimePicker that has a default value of nothing but not like this

Hi

As I understand it, a DateTimePicker can only use a date value between MinDate and MaxDate, and can not be empty. A CustomFormat, if set to Nothing or an empty string will reset to default format.

What exactly are you trying to do? Why would you use a DateTimePicker with such strange settings?

Regards Les, Livingston, Scotland

Monday, June 5, 2017 6:12 PM
  • As I understand it, a DateTimePicker can only use a date value between MinDate and MaxDate, and can not be empty. A CustomFormat, if set to Nothing or an empty string will reset to default format.

Regards Les, Livingston, Scotland

If you set the Format to Custom and set the CustomFormat to a Space " ",  it will display an empty DateTimePicker.

Public Class Form1
        Private Sub Form1_Load(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
            DateTimePicker1.Format = DateTimePickerFormat.Custom
        End Sub

Private Sub DateTimePicker1_ValueChanged(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles DateTimePicker1.ValueChanged
            If DateTimePicker1.Format = DateTimePickerFormat.Custom AndAlso DateTimePicker1.CustomFormat = " " Then
                DateTimePicker1.Format = DateTimePickerFormat.Short
            End If
        End Sub
    End Class

If you say it can`t be done then i`ll try it

Monday, June 5, 2017 6:23 PM

What kind of database do you have. I assume not an official one because those have all datetime values for date. (In SQL server you have 3)

1. from 1900
    2. from the Gregorian date system in the British Empire and therefore in the current USA
    3. from 1/1/1

But non with a space

Be aware I write this only to save others from crazy handling dates, you can do it as you wish.

Success
    Cor

Monday, June 5, 2017 7:28 PM
  • Hi John,

According to your description, you want to set datetimepicker as blank, but you don't want to use DateTimePicker1.CustomFormate=" ". I suggest you to add one textbox and one DateTimePicker control in your form,  if the date is the default date the textbox is visible is true, if it has a valid date visibility is false.  If it starts with a default value "01/01/1900" the text box covers it with an empty box.  If the empty text box gets focus the visibility is set to false and the pick calendar is visible.

Best Regards,

Cherry

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, June 6, 2017 3:22 AM