Installing SSDT - Do i need Visual Studio? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I'm hoping this is the right place to ask this. If not my apologies.

I am using SQL server Management Studio 2016 and need to be able to create SSIS packages to import and process data.

Do I need to buy a Visual Studio licence or can SSDT be installed without Visual Studio?

Thanks for your help

Paul

Thursday, October 4, 2018 10:19 AM

Answers

• Hi,

You can create SSIS package with just SSDT installed.

Please see the following article : https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/tutorials/task-4-creating-an-ssis-project-using-sql-server-data-tools?view=sql-server-2014

Ousama EL HOR

[If a post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer"  of that post or click Answered "Vote as helpful"  button of that post. By marking a post as Answered or Helpful, you help others find the answer faster. ]

[User Page]     [MSDN Page]     [Blog]     [Linkedin]

• Marked as answer by PaulMcAlister Thursday, October 4, 2018 10:54 AM
    Thursday, October 4, 2018 10:26 AM

I am using SQL server Management Studio 2016 and need to be able to create SSIS packages to import and process data.

Do I need to buy a Visual Studio licence or can SSDT be installed without Visual Studio?

Thanks for your help

Paul

Nope

If its a simple data transfer from source system like flat file/Excel etc to SQLserver you can use Export Import wizard which is integrated to SQL Management studio itself

https://www.sqlshack.com/importexport-data-sql-server-using-sql-server-import-export-wizard/

In case you would require intermediate transformations to be applied or do other related activities like File transfer, FTP etc you need to use SSIS. For creating packages SSDT (SQL Server Data Tools) -BI built on VS shell would be enough. But for deploying the packages and executing them from server you need to get SSIS component (Integration Services ) installed. It doesnt require separate license if you already have a full installation of SQLServer.

Please Mark This As Answer if it solved your issue
    Please Vote This As Helpful if it helps to solve your issue
    Visakh
    ----------------------------
    My Wiki User Page
    My MSDN Page
    My Personal Blog
    My Facebook Page

• Marked as answer by PaulMcAlister Thursday, October 4, 2018 10:44 AM
    Thursday, October 4, 2018 10:31 AM

All replies

• Hi,

You can create SSIS package with just SSDT installed.

Please see the following article : https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/tutorials/task-4-creating-an-ssis-project-using-sql-server-data-tools?view=sql-server-2014

Ousama EL HOR

[If a post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer"  of that post or click Answered "Vote as helpful"  button of that post. By marking a post as Answered or Helpful, you help others find the answer faster. ]

[User Page]     [MSDN Page]     [Blog]     [Linkedin]

• Marked as answer by PaulMcAlister Thursday, October 4, 2018 10:54 AM
    Thursday, October 4, 2018 10:26 AM

Thanks for your help

Paul

Nope

If its a simple data transfer from source system like flat file/Excel etc to SQLserver you can use Export Import wizard which is integrated to SQL Management studio itself

https://www.sqlshack.com/importexport-data-sql-server-using-sql-server-import-export-wizard/

In case you would require intermediate transformations to be applied or do other related activities like File transfer, FTP etc you need to use SSIS. For creating packages SSDT (SQL Server Data Tools) -BI built on VS shell would be enough. But for deploying the packages and executing them from server you need to get SSIS component (Integration Services ) installed. It doesnt require separate license if you already have a full installation of SQLServer.

Please Mark This As Answer if it solved your issue
    Please Vote This As Helpful if it helps to solve your issue
    Visakh
    ----------------------------
    My Wiki User Page
    My MSDN Page
    My Personal Blog
    My Facebook Page

• Marked as answer by PaulMcAlister Thursday, October 4, 2018 10:44 AM
    Thursday, October 4, 2018 10:31 AM