Migrating vs 2005 website project to vs2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Sounds simple? Oh well, here is the issue:

- We have an exisiting website project in VS2005 written using vb.NET that we want to move to VS2010.

- I open the visual studio 2010 ultimate and open the old solution file.

- Follow the prompts where the wizard asks you update the solution file format to vs2010. I say OK.

- Now conversion completed successfully. Me is happy.

But when I try t build the project, the VS2010 environment is creating a folder called Backup. Under this folder is the old solution file and other project files. AND it is erroring out on the web config which is inside this auto created Backup folder.

Help :(

The error says something like:

Error 2 It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level.  This error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an application in IIS. C:\Projects\TFS2010\xyz\Web\Backup\Web\web.config 86

If the project was migrated successfully then why is this Backup folder even being created? And why is it being considered as part of my now-converted solution???
    Any help would be appreciated.
    thanks,
    S

Tuesday, November 29, 2011 5:39 AM

Answers

• Ok. This one was simpler than I had assumed. From the local IIS, all you have to do is create a web application folder pointing to the source directory. The error goes away after that. The Backup folder is also not formed anymore.
    Wednesday, November 30, 2011 3:29 AM

All replies