none
Excel Runtime RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hello,

Just curious, is there an Excel Runtime like that of an Access Runtime?

If so, where could we get it? Is it for free (or free download)?

-desay-

Saturday, October 11, 2008 9:05 AM

All replies

• Hi,

No runtime, like access.

There is a viewer, if that's any help.

Overview
    With Excel Viewer, you can open, view, and print Excel workbooks, even if
    you don't have Excel installed. You can also copy data from Excel
    Viewer to another program. However, you cannot edit data, save a
    workbook, or create a new workbook.

Saturday, October 11, 2008 12:56 PM
  •  

Hi Andy,

Could we distribute the viewer with our application? Should I need to get a license for that? Does it have the functions like NORMINV available?

This is my problem, I have an Access application that I "may" deploy in a machine without Office. I don't have any problems with deploying access since it has a runtime. But my application is using the Excel object mostly for the functions that are only available in Excel like Norminv. Say, if the target machine doesn't really have Office, that may cause some problems to the application.

Saturday, October 11, 2008 3:58 PM
  • Here is a link to the viewer.
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=1cd6acf9-ce06-4e1c-8dcf-f33f669dbc3a&displaylang=en

I have no idea about the legal side of distributing the viewer with your app.

But I'm not sure the viewer will actually help in your case. It will allow the user to view excel files but whether it exposes an object model I do not know.
    Monday, October 13, 2008 8:08 AM
  • A vendor has an application which we would like to use, but they state Microsoft Excel is required as a pre-requisite. Their application (developed in .Net) parses Excel files but doesn't write or modify them.

Could the Excel Viewer contain enough of the assemblies to provide a free alternative to requiring Microsoft Office? Has anyone faced a similar problem and found the Excel Viewer to be an adequate solution?

Tuesday, December 4, 2012 1:27 AM
  • I think the Viewer is just that: it lets you view an existing file, but not change it. I also suspect it doesn't have teh Excel Object Library so you do need Excel installed to control and Excel Workbook with VBA.

Rod Gill

The one and only Project VBA Book

Rod Gill Project Management

Tuesday, December 4, 2012 4:25 AM
  • I had a similar problem and used the r language to do the stat functions and pass the result back.  It was part of the install script I created. It runs on Windows and is free.

http://www.r-project.org/

Wednesday, December 5, 2012 10:29 PM
  • The Office 365 Access Run time is not compatible with Office products installed with Windows Installer. For more information, Paste this info into search bar- " Office installed with Click-to-Run and Windows Installer on same computer isn't supported " .
    Friday, January 17, 2020 6:55 AM