none
Can not install visual studio and windbg? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys,

I have encountered a problem when i install visual studio and windbg. I suspect something wrong with extracting cab file but i don't know why. Hope someone can help me, this problem is killing me.

When i tried to install windbg, i got error message:"The cabinet file 'dbg.cab' required for this installation is corrupt and cannot be used.This could indicate a network error, an error reading from the CD-ROM, OR A problem with this package"

And when i tried to install visual studio 2005 and 2008, error log told me something wrong with framework installation. So i tried to install framework seperately. But i also got following error message
    "Extracting file failed. It is most likely caused by low memory(low disk space for swapping file) or corrupted cabinet file"

My Machine enviroment is:
    cpu: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9400 2.66GHz (2 cpu * 2 core =4 core) 64bit
    Memory:5.90G
    disk space: > 300G
    OS: Windows Server 2003 enterprise Edition Service Pack 2(32bit os)

I have already install visual C++ 2005 redistributable for runing .exe built by studio 2005

Please help me!
    Friday, October 16, 2009 7:52 AM

Answers

• Hi Donnie Han,

Thank you for your post. I can understand your worries on this issue. Let's start from .NET Framework 3.5 (Visual Studio 2008) installation since you have problem to install .NET Framework separately.

Based on your description, you might try running a disk check. Right click on the hard drive and click properties. Go to tools >> click "Check Now". If it finds a corrupted file, it should fix it.

Then please follow the steps mentioned below:
    - Try other web browser like Firefox or some download manger sofware to help downloading .NET Framework 3.5 full package to isolate the possible cause of corrupted installer package
    - Temporarily turn off any anti-virus software or firewall
    - Run the installer

If any problem occurs, could you please try to use collect tool to collect the log files of .NET Framework 3.5 from your "%temp%" folder?
    http://blogs.msdn.com/heaths/archive/2008/05/09/visual-studio-and-net-log-collection-utility.aspx

You can upload your log files to SkyDrive and post the link back here.

Steps:
    - Try to clean your "%temp%" folder
    - Install .NET Framework 3.5 (Full Package)
    - Collect the logs from "%temp%" folder
    - Upload vslogs.cab file

Hope this helps. If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Edited by YiChun Chen Monday, October 19, 2009 8:08 AM typo
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Friday, October 23, 2009 2:30 AM
    Monday, October 19, 2009 8:07 AM