why msdn subscription does not support download resume capability RRS feed

• Question

• i have a msdn subscription but i can't resume my downloads

why msdn subscription does not support download   resume capability  ?

Monday, March 4, 2013 4:02 PM

Answers

• It does support resuming downloads, but you have to use the download manager with it.   If you're using IE to conduct your downloads, you'll get prompted to use either the Akamai Download Manager or the Microsoft File Transfer Manager, both of which do support resuming downloads.  If you're using Chrome or Firefox (or using IE and clicking the "Direct Download" option), you'll just get the browser's download manager, which can't resume downloads from our servers.

More information is here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-US/subscriptions/aa948864.aspx. 

Thanks,
    Mike

MSDN and TechNet Subscriptions Support
    Read the Subscriptions Blog!

Tuesday, March 5, 2013 5:40 PM

All replies

• It does support resuming downloads, but you have to use the download manager with it.   If you're using IE to conduct your downloads, you'll get prompted to use either the Akamai Download Manager or the Microsoft File Transfer Manager, both of which do support resuming downloads.  If you're using Chrome or Firefox (or using IE and clicking the "Direct Download" option), you'll just get the browser's download manager, which can't resume downloads from our servers.

More information is here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-US/subscriptions/aa948864.aspx. 

Thanks,
    Mike

Read the Subscriptions Blog!

Tuesday, March 5, 2013 5:40 PM
  • Seems that IE x64 (v9 anyway) doesn't support File Transfer Manager.  You have to use 32 bit IE!

I found this out the hard way, after a download failed to resume somewhere after 1 GB, and IE silently deleted the partial download when I pressed "resume".  

Now I have to wait until my next ISP billing cycle before I try again because of their data cap and the usage this Microsoft resume failure wasted.  Grrr...

Would be nice if MSDN download process at least alerted you to these gotchyas up front.

Friday, August 16, 2013 9:39 PM
  • I'm having a very similar problem right now - it's obscene that MS makes you use a product that isn't compatible with everything... they want you to use an activeX control that isn't even 64 bit capable - why they can't run a proper web download is beyond me, there is no need for all this nonsense with MDM and others...

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 11:29 PM
  • It's been 14 years since RFC2616 HTTP/1.1 supported range requests for download resume.  

We pay a lot of money for MSDN, how about you guys stop screwing around and give us standard download resume?
    Monday, January 6, 2014 5:28 AM
  • Perhaps you all could suggest this directly to Microsoft MSDN Subscription team. Though download resume will not be available with regular downloads unless you use the Microsoft FTM or Microsoft Download Manager.
    Wednesday, January 22, 2014 10:47 AM
  • None of the download manager approaches seem to work anymore.

The lack of support for http range requests is ludicrous. I had to restart an 11-hour ISO download about a dozen times.

It's like you want us to torrent.

Wednesday, February 26, 2014 8:24 PM
  • Hi Mike,

Your answer does not help on Win 8 with IE 11, I cannot get Microsoft Download manager to pick up download. Tried coying all 3 provided links for iso to it and all three gave error. And I have flat connection that resets itself every 1500MB. Is there a way to access my MSDN subscription downloads for me?

Thanks,

Goran

Friday, August 1, 2014 7:28 PM
  • Goran,

sorry about the problems.  Try the link at the very top of: http://msdn.microsoft.com/subscriptions/aa948864.aspx for help with IE11.

Thanks,

Mike

Friday, August 1, 2014 7:42 PM
  • I have tried that (you could also try http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc288325(v=vs.85).aspx to make workaround seamless).

However, my problem is not addressed by this workaround, as download manager picks download up and there is still no resume support. And when I i.e. undock my laptop, it switches networks and download fails.

Saturday, August 2, 2014 5:26 AM
  • Microsoft download manager doesn't work for any of the 3 offered links in download:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/wb6h0vxupq9c5j1/Screenshot%202014-08-01-21-24-32-8710110.png

I have also tried with Akamai ActiveX download manager, which offered to install itself from here when IE was in IE10 mode: http://www.akamai.com/html/solutions/downloadmanager_demos.html
    H
    owever, on msdn site it does not offer to do any downloads in any of the IE modes.

I did manage to download SQL server without interruption and to install VS with web installer which supports resume of downloads, but that one must download everything on every computer whenever I need to install it (and when something is wrong with computer I just exchange it in IT for freshly imaged one). I am very disappointed that in 2014 service which is not cheap does not offer one of most basic things you could expect and which Microsoft has (it. works i.e. for DreamSpark program for similar contents).

Saturday, August 2, 2014 6:40 PM
  • Sorry about the continued frustrations with this Goran.  

On our site, the only download manager that can resume downloads is the FTM, aka the Microsoft File Transfer Manager, and occasionally, when we set it up that way, the Akamai DLM can also do this.

Goran, if you're having the Microsoft Download Manager appear (per your screenshot), that's not the FTM, and will not allow resumable downloads on our site. I recommend you disable the Microsoft Download Manager, or start IE11 into "inPrivate" mode in order to bypass it, then follow the steps in the KB article, to try to get the FTM to appear.

The FTM also needs ActiveX controls to be enabled, and this is in tools -> Internet Options -> security tab -> Custom Level... button -> ActiveX Control set to 'enable'.

Thanks,
    Mike

Monday, August 4, 2014 7:27 PM
  • Thanks for reply.

I think that Active X doesn't work in my IE. I have downloaded Microsoft Download Manager and tried feeding it with links from page (I don't have it set up to intercept IE, I try to keep extensions low).

I have checked security level/active x settings and it is enabled but it won't pop up in IE, neither in IE 9 or 10 mode. I have tried googling with bing around for 10 minutes to try and find one other site in internet with active x to check if it works there, but it seems there are none left (except Akmai which I already installed and it works, just tried again, in IE9 mode it works). If you have problems reproducing this I can share screen tomorrow (it is late in Europe now, and I'm going to bed).

Monday, August 4, 2014 9:36 PM
  • Goran,
    I know that the local call centers deal with this type of problem pretty often, and as they're in your region, they're likely to be open when you're awake rather than when I am :)    Can you reach out to them and ask?

Their contact info is here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/subscriptions/aa948875.aspx 

Thanks,
    Mike

Tuesday, August 5, 2014 6:43 PM
  • Nah, I give up. I wanted to try to act to solve root cause of the problem and get this resume in some standard way (some W3C or RFC standard), so nobody else will have a problem. My problem is resolved, after few days I got home where I can download DVD in an hour and don't need resume anymore.

Thanks for your support. But think about future, one day, there will be IE 13, and IE 10 will be deprecated. And you will have to fix it! :)

Goran
    Wednesday, August 6, 2014 9:33 PM
  • Why can't the http downloads simply support standard byte-range requests?

Wednesday, August 6, 2014 9:58 PM
  • Have no idea why IE 11 still doesn't support standard byte-range requests.

Just tried to download office from a Surface Pro 3 -- "Network Failure", and can't resume.

It's just so frustrating, hardly a 'premium' experience.

Saturday, September 6, 2014 7:02 PM
  • FTM at least worked when you got it going. IE 11 compatibility aside... Now that FTM support is removed from MSDN, the MSDN subscription download experience has been absolutely horrible. On an ADSL2+ connection (~12mbit/s), I have attempted a 1.1GB download 4 times in IE11. Every single time it has failed and I was not able to resume. I have now downloaded in excess of 2GB of data and not completed the download.

How is it 2015 and we don't have a reliable download experience from MSDN?

Friday, March 20, 2015 5:06 AM
  • Microsoft FTM is the only download manager for MSDN Subscription Products which can resume the download even after a year time.

I am now communicating directly with the MSDN Subscription team, hope I will get a positive reply about returning the Microsoft FTM.

Thanks
    prathaprabhu

Monday, March 23, 2015 12:12 AM
  • MRR111,

Please contact MSDN Subscriptions Customer Service and when you do include a traceroute to download.msdn.microsoft.com as a part of the escalation.  Also make sure you send a timestamp of exactly when you were attempting your download (go ahead and start a new one and note the time and timezone, or just open a utc clock website and note that time).

Their contact information is posted here: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/aa948875.aspx

Thanks,
    Mike

Did Microsoft call you out of the blue about your computer? No, they didn't.

Monday, March 23, 2015 3:42 AM
  • I haven't been able to download a complete file from MSDN, even using the Resume when downloading via IE 11 for a month. It just gets part way then halts. I have tried multiple computers, multiple browsers, all AV&Firewalls disabled, to no avail.

It boggles the mind that I can't even download a file from a MS site, using a MS OS, and using a MS browser...

Does this warrant a refund?  This has been going on for a long time, I've tried everything suggested that I can find...

Thursday, April 9, 2015 6:46 PM
  • If you are having download issues, please create a ticket with MSDN Subscriptions Customer Service.  They have recently been given additional guidance on what steps to have you walk through, and what information to gather, and then create a new escalation for you and escalate to our awaiting network team.  

Please make sure you are not VPNd anywhere when downloading, using an add-on download manager created by a third party, but excusively using the browser to complete your download.

Thanks,
    Mike

Edit: Locking this thread as it was started in 2013.

Did Microsoft call you out of the blue about your computer? No, they didn't.

Thursday, April 9, 2015 6:50 PM