none
owc11.dll replacement for Office 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi.

Few years ago I have developed Winforms application for my customer.

The application using embedded excel spreadsheet using AxInterop.OWC11 dll and AxOWC11.AxSpreadsheet class

The customer upgraded its server to Windows 2008 R2 terminal server (x64) with Office 2010

After I tried to install the application on the new server and tried to display form with the office 2003 spreadsheet componenet, I got the error:

Message: Class not registered (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80040154 (REGDB_E_CLASSNOTREG))

After deep digging I found a workaround:

1. Recompiled the project to Platform target: X86 and installed

2. Install Office 2003 Add-in: Office Web Components from http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=22276 on the customer's server.

As I read from http://blogs.office.com/b/microsoft-excel/archive/2006/07/17/office-web-components-roadmap.aspx, Microsoft not intend to develop OWC component for office 2010.

Now I got few questions:

1. Is it allowed to install Office 2003 Add-in: Office Web Components on Windows 2008 R2 terminal server? Although the installation succeeds, I can't find Windows 2008 R2 in the System requirements list. If it's not allowed what is the alternative?

2. Is there any new Microsoft component for Office 2010 that is an Excel embedded spreadsheet that can be placed in .net framework 2.0 Winform and can replace the old OWC11 dll?

3. Will there be an Excel embedded spreadsheet for Office 2013 which can be used in Visual studio 2012 Winforms project?

Thanks,

Lior Schwimmer

Monday, November 26, 2012 3:10 PM

Answers

• Hi Lior

To the best of my knowledge...

1. Allowed, yes; supported, no. IOW if it works, fine; if it doesn't, "tough luck".

2 & 3. No. The general trend concerning Microsoft Office is that developers are welcome to extend  the Office applications, but not to use them as part of their solutions. Embedding of Office in other applications, such as a Windows Form, is not supported nor encouraged. And when you do succeed, your influence over the interface (display of the Ribbon, for example) is limited.

Also, licensing is to the user, not the developer; Office is a "desk-top application".

If you want to use newer versions of Office "on-line", you need the Office Web Apps, which are basically part of SharePoint server. They can only be "embedded" into something hosted on SharePoint.

All in all, it means if you want to display spreadsheets or charts in your application you need to license a third-party software/control designed for the task. Microsoft isn't supplying this, anymore.

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP, my blog

Monday, November 26, 2012 4:51 PM