Flaws in windows 8

General discussion

• Reading through a mentioned article about the 5 potential flaws in windows 8, I have some points to make regarding each. I have put each separate point in quotes, with comments after each one.

"At the Build Windows in Anaheim, California, excitement, eagerness, and trepidation fill the air in equal measures. Developers are overjoyed that Microsoft’s best-in-class development tools can now target tablets, a slew of new, low-level features will usher in entirely new species of always-on, omnipresent devices, and few can deny the awesome money-making potential of the Windows Store. Once you see past the emphatically strident Steven Sinofsky and the repeated reassurance that you will like Windows 8, however, a handful of flaws begin to rear their ugly heads. As awesome as Metro might be, and as fresh and invigorated the re-imagined Windows team is, it’s impossible to ignore the fact that Windows 8 will break the user experience paradigm that two or three billion people have grown accustomed to. Almost every computer user alive today cut their teeth on Windows — on icons, on Alt-Tab, and on the Start menu — and as of Windows 8, that body of experience, that muscle memory, and those expectations, will all be for nought. Windows 8 re-imagines Windows, and Metro – the primary interface that you have to use — is completely different from what users expect. Metro might not be a separate OS, but beyond low-level features like the kernel and drivers, Metro is about as disparate as it gets. It’s like iOS and Mac OS X, or Android and Ubuntu — they’re built on much the same architecture, but you interact with them in very, very different ways."

First, the alt tab shortcut is here to stay! All developmental features of windows 8 are just that, and we have no way of realizing or knowing what microsoft has planned, until the development continues. Apart from saying that you must read on to find more about the problems that you have, this is only one of many view points of the system.

Second, the start menu has been replaced with user tiles, which makes it much easier for people to be able to see what they wish to access. What this article does not tell you, is that you are able to type in to the start menu like windows 7, although the search dialog is in deed hidden until you press a letter, number or symbol. The search dialog has been modified for better use by providing categories such as apps or programs, settings, files and so on.

Third, windows may have a different 'Metro' style interface, however this does not prevent the user interaction and or the usage of a mouse and or keyboard to navigate the screens of apps, programs and settings of windows, in fact, if anything, it adds a greater amount of support for all methods, of navigation to use in a hybrid style interface creating a more flashed memory based environment enabling any user to use the navigation of their choice be it mobile or traditional, especially where accessibility and or international support is concerned.

"Five flaws Now, it wouldn’t be quite so bad if Metro and Explorer/Desktop were separate, but Windows 8 machines will run both interfaces interchangeably — as Sinofsky says, you can switch between Metro and standard Win32 “like tabs in a browser” — but don’t be fooled into thinking that Desktop is a first-class citizen in Windows 8. Many affordances are made to ensure that Windows 8 is tablet- and touch-first, and as a result the desktop and laptop experience will suffer. There are five big potholes that, unless they are rectified, will create a seriously jarring experience for most of Earth’s inhabitants."

Although this is in deed correct, there are several work arounds to this which microsoft is definitely going to provide, and as stated previously, this is a developer preview, and in no way constitutes the further changes that could be made in order to make this a possibility. It can only be improved by relying on user feedback of testers that are working with the developer preview, in order to justify their user problems so that they are able to fix it in the up coming release. It seems to me, as if people have forgotten that aspect of developmental software, they are the reason why it is being made, so they have the right to say so, under the windows feedback tool and this support forum, sorry for the ranting.

"1. Multi-tasking Multi-tasking in Windows 8 The most obvious omission from Windows 8 is proper multi-tasking and task/app switching. Unless you are in Desktop and you have a keyboard attached, there is no way to switch between currently-running apps; all you can do is flick cyclicly through open apps — in just one direction. If you want to alternate between two apps — to copy and paste something, for example — it’s simply not possible. If you have 10 apps open (an activity that is encouraged because Windows 8 has received a bevy of power management tweaks) you need to flick left 10 times to arrive back at the beginning."

True, however if Microsoft provides the ability to set what does what with regards to setting what scrolls what with a customizable touch like interface, or if an app is created to do that, then this problem is non existent, or if this is reported to the feedback center, again, microsoft has a chance to revamp this annoyance for, and only for, touch screen users. It is therefore recommended, that a keyboard is connected or a mouse until this issue is resolved.

"2. You can’t close apps As a corollary, if you want to close a handful of those 10 apps — if you want to make task switching easier, or free up some memory — then… well… you can’t. The only way to close apps in Windows 8 is through Task Manager, which exists solely within Desktop. Needless to say, toying with Task Manager with a fat finger isn’t the best experience in the world. We would expect that a Close button might appear in the right-side menu at a later date, though."

This bug has been reported to microsoft.

"3. Goodbye Start menu For 16 years Windows has revolved around the Start menu — but in Windows 8, the Start menu ceases to exist; in fact, the Metro-style interface that Windows 8 boots up into is actually called the Start screen. Even if you flip into Desktop view and click the flag in the bottom left corner you don’t get the Start menu; it just jumps back to Metro. It’s hard to describe how this will affect Windows veterans: it’s now Metro tiles, Desktop icons… and that’s it. The interface paradigms that they have come to know (and in rare cases love) are gone; it’s time to re-skill, whether you like it or not. The only saving grace is that the glorious Windows 7 superbar still exists — but before you get too excited, only standard Windows (Win32) programs will grace the task bar; again, beyond flicking left, there is no way to switch between Metro apps."

This is a duplicate of what was already said, and for those users that wish to have a start menu, use the desktop and create folders by using windows explorer, I think the idea is stupid, why do you need several places to put shortcuts, when you could have one central location that you are able to customize at will and a search bar in several places, it is time for a change! Indefinitely, that is.

"Windows 8 shutdown 4. It’s very hard to reboot and shut down It now requires no less than four gestures to shut down or reboot a Windows 8 tablet — and for some reason it is hidden behind the Settings charm in what is now the Metro-style system tray. Basically, Microsoft doesn’t want you to shut down Windows 8 — much in the same way that you rarely shut down Android, iOS, or any other mobile OS. Instead, Microsoft wants you to hit the physical power button, which simply hibernates the machine — which makes sense, if you only use the Metro side of Windows 8, but what about all of the business and enterprise users that might need to reboot a buggy machine? As an irritating aside, because the Start menu has died a death, shutting down Windows 8 with a mouse is painful: you have to click in the bottom left corner, then move your mouse all the way over to the right to click the Power button; fun times."

First, the shut down option can be customized by using the power plan advanced settings area where you can customize the action of hitting the power button amongst various other options regarding memory usage, visualization and other affects of windows. Second, this is again the fault of a developmental preview as already said above, which can be solved by the customization of flicks and gestures regarding only, the use of a touch imput device. Solved by other alternative means stated in the second issue of this article. How is this a problem when the Iphone uses a similar interface, when the power button is about a foot away at the very most, when the mouse and keyboard are handy to use (if available) and if it is reported to the microsoft support center? This indefinitely, causes no serious harm, but it is a minor annoyance that can be solved.

"Windows 8 search/keyboard 5. The beautiful Start menu search is dead Finally, one of Windows 7′s best features — the ability to hit the Windows key and find any app or file on your computer simply by typing — is no more. You can still search in a similar fashion in Windows 8 (though it requires a right flick and then a click) but you can only search apps, or settings, or files — and changing between each category requires yet another click/prod."

A duplicate of what was already said in several instances of this article. This was already covered, in that what more do you need to search for, use the run command by hitting search under apps, and pressing run, and then using the search term you want for what ever you need. It is an extra step, and I do believe that it could be worked on, and I do believe that the search feature is some respects, in accordance to the windows 7 start menu, was better, however this is more organized as it contains basic categories for searching, and could be improved upon later.

I have some additional, more serious flaws that I have noticed in windows 8 that could be looked at first. In accordance with the article, the main points are that the absence of the start menu will cause some confusion at first to previous windows users. It is an annoyance, however it is not impossible to base a fault around it since short cuts can be added to the user tiles, as customized in the user tiles control panel, specific to personalization of a user account.

In many cases, windows programs such as notepad, wordpad, windows explorer and paint, prevent the use of running multiple instances. This is a problem because many people require the use of such activity when editing in documents that they wish to remain separate. The only acception is the control panel windows, which as stated previously, the app control panel and apps windows do not have a valid close button, which in this case, can create a rather cluttered task bar until you restart your system, or use the revamped windows task manager to make changes to running processes and other tasks. Wordpad stops working as soon as coppied text from the clip board is pasted. Paint refuses to open.

Accessibility for all flash related objects in addition to this, has also been a major concern for those users that rely on a screen reader to help them use a computer. It has been proven such as current, and has been reported that the dialogs for the wireless network view list, the apps themselves, the app control panel, some control panel screens and the windows remote desktop connection program do not work. This has been tied in to the problem and is relative to the failure of the closure of all apps.

As the article above states upon the idea or fact that in addition to the current hastle of multi touch devices, the inability to use a keyboard or mouse to navigate a specific area or multiple areas simultaneously, because of the decision for microsoft to enable touch imput first, even though this area needs a drastic improvement, seems to have created a major problem for those that would normally be able to constitute the normal usage of windows as the metro design creates a new professional standard for the next operating system released by microsoft and possibly other companies as well. It is therefore apparent that there are some complications as to the navigation and simultaneous usage of windows programs, apps and settings.

Because of this, all of the above has been reported by me to microsoft using the send feedback tool, which I strongly recommend you also using if this concerns you enough to report it to microsoft. Here is a note of refference, the tool will ask you rather redundently to summarrize your steps as it is based off of the developmental issue of windows more so or rather than the actual usage of windows. To open the send feedback tool, after you have installed it from your download center of the MSDN network, click on the start screen, and type in the words 'send feedback' under the apps list, it is then and only then that I have found, that the tool can be activated in a quick and self sufficient manner.

Please feel free to add your user experiences with windows 8 here in this thread.

Be free, love well and live the way you wish to. Wishing you and your over all well being, a healthy and independent, self productive life from the creator of Creative Minds Society in all do respect.

Wednesday, December 28, 2011 1:07 AM

All replies

• Reading through a mentioned article about the 5 potential flaws in windows 8, I have some points to make regarding each. I have put each separate point in quotes, with comments after each one.

Paragraphing would have been more helpful.   ; }

I have some additional, more serious flaws that I have noticed in windows 8 that could be looked at first.

In many cases, windows programs such as notepad, wordpad, windows explorer and paint, prevent the use of running multiple instances.

Wordpad stops working as soon as coppied text from the clip board is pasted.

Paint refuses to open.

You are going to have to provide repro procedures to substantiate these claims.   FWIW testing just on the above descriptions tends to contradict them.  E.g. for the Wordpad example I thought you might mean that WordPad might object if I tried to edit the same file more than once at the same time and was surprised to find that even that guess was false.

Accessibility for all flash related objects in addition to this, has also been a major concern for those users that rely on a screen reader to help them use a computer. It has been proven such as current, and has been reported that the dialogs for the wireless network view list, the apps themselves, the app control panel, some control panel screens and the windows remote desktop connection program do not work. This has been tied in to the problem and is relative to the failure of the closure of all apps.

I couldn't figure out whether there was one idea being expressed here or several independent ones.   In case all examples are related to your screen reader issue I left them as is.

As the article above states upon the idea or fact that in addition to the current hastle of multi touch devices, the inability to use a keyboard or mouse to navigate a specific area or multiple areas simultaneously

Is this also a comment involving a screen reader?   Otherwise please provide a specific example because I think you may be missing something.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Wednesday, December 28, 2011 5:31 AM
  • Paragraphing would have been more helpful.   ; }

Yep, too long; didn't read.
    Wednesday, December 28, 2011 3:48 PM
  • please fromat the text or post a link to a Word file. I don't read this crap.
    "A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Wednesday, December 28, 2011 5:37 PM