Why non-OOP scripting languages are higher level than OOP ones? RRS feed

• General discussion

• Recently I saw various articles saying that scripting Javascript, Perl, etc. are higher level languages than Java (or C#). For ex., [1].

If to juxtapose the citation from [1]:
    "In short, high-level languages are the logical semantic evolution of mid-level languages.  It makes a lot of sense when you consider the philosophy of simplification and increase of abstraction"
    with diagram/figure in [1],
    then why JavaScript is a logical semantic evolution of Java?

I always had been comfortable with my belief that language higher level notion is associated with the higher levels of abstraction(ing) provided by the language or platform.
    And I believed that the latter was associated with OOP inheritance, encapsulation, polymorphism + strong typing.

Why non-OOP scripting interpreted languages like Perl or JavaScript are considered to be of higher level than C#?

[1]
    Defining High, Mid and Low-Level Languages
    http://www.codecommit.com/blog/java/defining-high-mid-and-low-level-languages
    Guennadi Vanine -- Gennady Vanin -- Геннадий Ванин
    Monday, September 14, 2009 1:27 AM

All replies

• Greetings,

We should be glad and thanks to those people who have invented all the scripting and object oriented languages. Comparison of the languages is ok, but we use the language for a particular software project is more important. In this case we seek the business value of the software that is created using a particular language. 

In certain cases scripting language is very useful for example test script but in certain scenarios we need to object oriented languages for example design and implementation of real time software systems(in this case we cannot use scripting language). This is the major difference. This is the point I need to make here. 

We should have the technical know how when to use which language and we must think that whether we can achieve this functionality using a particular language ie which best suitable for a particular case. 

Take Care

PL

Friday, October 16, 2009 3:57 AM