none
Windows Industry Pro 8.1 BlackScreen with Cursor RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone, as noone seems to be able to help in the "windows development" part of the forum, I want to reask it here.

At the moment I am occuring a severe Problem with our development Embedded PCs running WEI8.1. I set up a couple of testing machines (3) for internal development purposes. In a matter of 1-2 days all devices stopped working for no visible reason.

The machines boot correctly but instead of showing a desktop or our program in the autostart, they just go into blackscreen with cursor. There is no interaction possible at all. Even CTRl + ALT + DEL or Windows Key have no effect.

The only guess I can make is a correlation to the windows activation because I set up the machines ~30 Days ago. But I wonder why this is as all devices had activated windows on them.Ift hat is the case why is there no error/screen telling me there is a problem with the activation but only a stuck and unusable windows?

The hardware is not an issue as reinstalling or "repairing" windows works just fine and get the system running again but doing this on random occursions as soon as we go "live" with our product is not an option.

I hope someone knows anything about this strange behavior.

Thanks in advance,

Kevin

Friday, February 21, 2014 9:44 AM

All replies

• Hi everyone,

At the moment I am occuring a severe Problem with our development Embedded PCs running WEI8.1. I set up a couple of testing machines (3) for internal development purposes. In a matter of 1-2 days all devices stopped working for no visible reason.

The machines boot correctly but instead of showing a desktop or our program in the autostart, they just go into blackscreen with cursor. There is no interaction possible at all. Even CTRl + ALT + DEL or Windows Key have no effect.

The only guess I can make is a correlation to the windows activation because I set up the machines ~30 Days ago. But I wonder why this is as all devices had activated windows on them.Ift hat is the case why is there no error/screen telling me there is a problem with the activation but only a stuck and unusable windows?

The hardware is not an issue as reinstalling or "repairing" windows works just fine and get the system running again but doing this on random occursions as soon as we go "live" with our product is not an option.

I hope someone knows anything about this strange behavior.

Thanks in advance,

Kevin

• Merged by Marvin_Guo Monday, February 24, 2014 2:40 PM same issue 暗道
    Wednesday, February 19, 2014 8:12 AM
  • Hi!

Noone got an Idea on this one?

Best,

Kevin

Friday, February 21, 2014 8:03 AM
  • It is a little unclear, did you activate the images or not?

If you re-install the OS, does everything work as expected?

www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com / Book Author - Pro Guide to WE8S, Pro Guide to WES 7, Pro Guide to POS for .NET

Friday, February 21, 2014 4:50 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your answer!

sorry for the unclear statement: Windows was activated and still is after I got it back running by using the "repair" function from the installion USB-Stick.

After the repair, everything works as expected. But for how long? Last time it took ~30 Days to get the blackscreen. What should happen when the activation didn't work (for some reason, although windows is stating it is activated)? Is it possible that there should be information but it is hidden due to the use of features like unbranded boot?

Another way to get everything working is completly reinstalling windows but this ofcause removes the activation.

• Edited by NanoKevin Friday, February 21, 2014 10:53 PM
    Friday, February 21, 2014 10:50 PM
  • MS said that activation would not effect the performance of the machine. They said that an overlay message will appear stating that activation is required. A black screen and nothing coming back is a puzzle.

Are you using a demo version of WEI?

What is with the repair key? What was fixed?

www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com / Book Author - Pro Guide to WE8S, Pro Guide to WES 7, Pro Guide to POS for .NET

Saturday, February 22, 2014 6:01 PM
  • Hi Sean,

Maybe the overlay wants to pop up but due to the unbranded start it cant? How can I test that? Is there a way to "age" my instalaltion on purpose so I can see what happens after 30 Days?

I am using the MSDN Version of WEI and activated it with the delevopment key given with my MSDN subscription. This should make it permanently usable, shouldn't it?

What do you mean by repair key? How do I tell what was fixed? I noticed that after the repair the lockdown features (like unbranded boot) were disabled, all personal settings set to default und no more personal files available. In addition all users were gone so I needed to set them up again. The activation on the other hand was still active and states "Activated".

Thanks!

Kevin

Monday, February 24, 2014 7:47 AM
  • Kevin,

I have experienced a very similar same problem. Our current suspicion is that it is related to password expiration which defaults to 42 days. I've had several engineering systems and a customer system all encounter a black screen with a mouse cursor and nothing else.

To recover the system we have to repeatedly press the Shift-F8 key combination continuously after the BIOS image goes away. Keep doing so while the Windows Flag appears and also while the dots are spinning. This results in the login screen appearing and a prompt to change the password.

We have a local administrator account with a password and a local user account without a password. Both passwords expired and had to be changed (we were able to reuse the existing passwords).

I also used secpol.msc to change the Maximum password age to 0 (never expires).

Software Hardware Systems

Thursday, March 20, 2014 4:14 PM
  • If this is the case, create a custom security template with the Max password age set to zero and install the template using secedit during Pass 7 OOBE sync command:

secedit.exe /configure /db temp.sdb /cfg c:\windows\security\templates\mytemplate.inf

Friday, March 21, 2014 3:14 PM
  • I think I have a similar problem to you now.

audit mode ok,

oobe mode ok,

go back to audit mode ... it just sits there with the mouse cursor and I have no idea what it is doing...

I shall investigate.

=^x^=

Thursday, April 30, 2015 5:40 AM
  • To go back and forth between audit mode and oobe - how many times did you run sysprep on the same image?

Sean Liming - Book Author: Starter Guide SIM (WEI), Pro Guide to WE8S & WES 7, Pro Guide to POS for .NET - www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com

Thursday, April 30, 2015 4:26 PM