none
finger tracking not working RRS feed

• Question

• I recently acquired a Kinect v2 for Windows.

Using the BodyBasics-D2D.exe sample (C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Kinect\v2.0_1409\bin\BodyBasics-D2D.exe):

On my 2012 iMac 27", finger tracking is not working. No colored spheres are displayed around the hands indicating hand state.

It works on my Surface Pro 2 however, which is weaker in every way (RAM, CPU, GPU).

Any ideas as to what might cause this?

Thursday, November 20, 2014 11:17 PM

Answers

• Does the Infrared basics sample work? Did you update your NVidia drivers?

Just to clarify, Kinect does not do finger tracking. You are trying to detect hand states which is a function of Body tracking. Hand states are very environmentally effected since there is no state tracking, but since it works on your Surface, I would say it is the NVidia issue.

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Friday, November 21, 2014 9:32 PM
  • The finger tracking confusion is probably because my app converts the hand states to finger skeleton poses :)

The weird thing is that skeleton tracking seems to work, as well as the depth/IR readers (since my apps visualize them) and the body tracking example works.
    Sounds like only hand states are not changing which confuses me.

Trying to update to the latest NVidia drivers from their site indeed probably is the best next step.

Brekel

• Marked as answer by damdai Saturday, November 22, 2014 2:53 AM
    Friday, November 21, 2014 10:17 PM

All replies

• Can you describe exactly what is happening? Is this running in a Windows partition or in a VM?

Sr. Enterprise Architect | Trainer | Consultant | MCT | MCSD | MCPD | SharePoint TS | MS Virtual TS |Windows 8 App Store Developer | Linux Gentoo Geek | Raspberry Pi Owner | Micro .Net Developer | Kinect For Windows Device Developer |blog: http://dgoins.wordpress.com

Friday, November 21, 2014 12:10 AM
  • Partition. What I described is all there is.

That demo indicates hand state via a colored circle around the hands (green for open, red for closed, blue for pointing).

On the Surface Pro 2, everything works as expected. I can open my hand, close my hand, and point, and the skeleton does the same.

On my iMac however, it is not tracking my hand state at all (though the rest of the skeleton is tracking fine), and no colored circle is displayed over the hands.

The same issue occurs in Brekel Pro Body 2, if you are familiar with that.

The author of that software is unsure what the problem is and recommended I post here.

• Edited by damdai Friday, November 21, 2014 12:43 AM
    Friday, November 21, 2014 12:43 AM
  • My Pro Body 2 software actually does a "frameSource->OverrideHandTracking" which doesn't seem to help.

The sample code doesn't do this but both behave in the same manner.

Does the hand state classification run on the CPU or GPU? Could it be a shader limitation of the GPU chip or drivers, or possibly a CPU limitation like SSE for example?

Brekel

Friday, November 21, 2014 5:36 PM
  • Brekel I was thinking something along the same thing...

The NVidia  cards for the iMac27 does support DirectX 11.1 and Shader 5, however I noticed that some of the newer cards support DirectX 11.2, and I wonder if this has something to do with it.

Can you see if there is an update for this to support 11.2?

Sr. Enterprise Architect | Trainer | Consultant | MCT | MCSD | MCPD | SharePoint TS | MS Virtual TS |Windows 8 App Store Developer | Linux Gentoo Geek | Raspberry Pi Owner | Micro .Net Developer | Kinect For Windows Device Developer |blog: http://dgoins.wordpress.com

Friday, November 21, 2014 5:52 PM
  • If it helps, my specific card is the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675MX.
    Friday, November 21, 2014 8:39 PM
  • Does the Infrared basics sample work? Did you update your NVidia drivers?

Just to clarify, Kinect does not do finger tracking. You are trying to detect hand states which is a function of Body tracking. Hand states are very environmentally effected since there is no state tracking, but since it works on your Surface, I would say it is the NVidia issue.

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Friday, November 21, 2014 9:32 PM
  • The finger tracking confusion is probably because my app converts the hand states to finger skeleton poses :)

The weird thing is that skeleton tracking seems to work, as well as the depth/IR readers (since my apps visualize them) and the body tracking example works.
    Sounds like only hand states are not changing which confuses me.

Trying to update to the latest NVidia drivers from their site indeed probably is the best next step.

Brekel

• Marked as answer by damdai Saturday, November 22, 2014 2:53 AM
    Friday, November 21, 2014 10:17 PM
  • The latest drivers did the trick. I thought Windows update was supposed to take care of that.

Thanks for the help :)

Saturday, November 22, 2014 2:53 AM