Is CDN only for geo replication? RRS feed

• Question

• I am moving my ecommerce website on Azure and I would like to store all my images into blob storage. I am bit confused about if I need to use CDN also. Basically my website is operating only in western Europe. So I dont need geographical replication. Is CDN only to reduce latency when website is accessed over the different continents or do I get any other benefits?  

Does it help also when the traffic is high on the website for example.

"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it."

• Edited by emil_tr Tuesday, October 4, 2016 1:04 PM
    Tuesday, October 4, 2016 1:03 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thank you for posting here! We are happy to assist you.

CDN has two benefits.  

(1) Content is served from CDN node, if it exists, or from origin if it does not exist yet on the CDN node.  CDN nodes are located around the world so content is served by node closes to the user and therefore delivered to user faster so the user experience is improved. 

(2) since content is served from the CDN node instead of the origin node, this reduces the load on the origin node and makes it possible to scale out to support much greater number of users. 

Note: CDN is used mostly to cache static content.

Regards,
    Sumanth BM

Tuesday, October 4, 2016 6:43 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for posting here! We are happy to assist you.

CDN has two benefits.  

(1) Content is served from CDN node, if it exists, or from origin if it does not exist yet on the CDN node.  CDN nodes are located around the world so content is served by node closes to the user and therefore delivered to user faster so the user experience is improved. 

(2) since content is served from the CDN node instead of the origin node, this reduces the load on the origin node and makes it possible to scale out to support much greater number of users. 

Note: CDN is used mostly to cache static content.

Regards,
    Sumanth BM

Tuesday, October 4, 2016 6:43 PM
  • You could potentially accomplish your objective (and realize the second of the benefits listed by SumanthBM) by using Azure Storage blobs for static content - as described in https://www.dougv.com/2016/08/serving-static-files-azure-storage-cors-rules/ (keep in mind the CORS considerations), however, you will likely not achieve the same level of scalability as the one available with CDN. On the other hand, you will not have to deal with the challenges related to caching that are associated with CDN (more at https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/cdn-manage-expiration-of-blob-content/)

hth
    Marcin

Tuesday, October 4, 2016 9:20 PM
  • i saw one of the latest video on channel9, it was published recently and it shows there is a new purge option which is updating cdn cache instantly. is it one of the problem you mention there? 

"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it."

Wednesday, October 5, 2016 11:42 AM
  • Hi,

You may refer to this link for more information on AZURE CDN.

Integrate a Storage Account with CDN

Did you make your blob container public?

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/azure/dd179354.aspx

Regards,
    Sumanth BM

Sunday, October 9, 2016 4:07 PM