none
Procedure for user to "Trust" Publisher is way to cryptic for a everyday user in Word 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• I am a developer of addins for MS Word.  My addin is digitally signed.   My customers (~average MS Word users) hate having to click "Enable Content" on each start of Word. In the past for older versions of Word it seems adding a publisher as "trusted" was much easier.

The procedure to add a company as a Trusted Publisher in Word 2010 to avoid this is way toooo crytic for a common user (see  'Add a trusted publisher via the Trust Center' on this page ).   This is really destroying my sales & causing too many support inquiries. 

Is there a way to make it easier for customers to "Trust" a Word dotm? 

Please Microsoft: i do realize that security is important, but if customers cant easily "Trust" a addin then they wont bother (BOTH WITH MY APP AND EVENTUALLY WITH WORD)... 

Steve Ballmer: if you learn one thing only from Apples success it should be this:  Apps will make or break a platform.  If you make it too difficult for users to run apps/developers to develop/depoly apps in Word then they will eventually switch to something else.

Sorry for the rant... but PLEASE MAKE IT EASIER TO "TRUST" A PUBLISHER !!

Friday, January 21, 2011 12:30 AM

Answers

• Hi Sam

<<Futher to complicate the matter, even if i do use the user profile's Templates location: user still also gets prompted to "Trust" nine (9)  of Microsoft's own addins for when running Word 2010 (using what i think is the default security settings):>>

Never, ever have I seen any prompts for the list you show (and yes, these are things that are distributed as part of Office/Word). I've installed every "flavor" of Office 2010 from Beta 1 through RTM, more than once, and opened Word. No prompts for these things!

Are you seeing this on your own test installations? Are you customizing the setup? If yes, what changes are you making?

<< Issue with that is it will only install for the logged in user.  I dont see a existing Trusted location for 'All Users'.>>

No... But if you software is targeting multiple user environments is a network administration also involved? There would be a number of options open to you in that case... Actually, the deeper we get into the discussion, the more I get the impression your question belongs in the IT Pro area of the forums, rather than Dev... I can move it there, if necessary.

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP
    • Marked as answer by Bessie Zhao Friday, January 28, 2011 7:21 AM
    Tuesday, January 25, 2011 8:01 AM

All replies

• Hi Sam

If these are *.dotm, why not install them to the user profile's Templates location? That is automatically a trusted location and the user should not be getting any prompt (even if it's not signed).

Saturday, January 22, 2011 7:07 AM
  • Thanks for the response.  Issue with that is it will only install for the logged in user.  I dont see a existing Trusted location for 'All Users'. 

Futher to complicate the matter, even if i do use the user profile's Templates location: user still also gets prompted to "Trust" nine (9)  of Microsoft's own addins for when running Word 2010 (using what i think is the default security settings):

FPLACE.DLL
    FDATE.DLL
    VSTOEE.DLL
    MOFL.DLL
    IMCONT~1.DLL
    FSTOCK.DLL
    METCONV.DLL
    FPERSON.DLL
    FBIBLIO.DLL

All this since the docm has a form in it.  ...all these "trust"setting are just Insane - esp for a novice user who will understandably be suspicious.  Some of whom will undoubtedly mistake my software as junkware/virus & even report me in error.  

This is just way tooo difficult & unreasonable to ask of a novice Word User. 

Does Microsoft not want developers to developers software for MS Word?

Tuesday, January 25, 2011 4:58 AM
  • Hi Sam

<<Futher to complicate the matter, even if i do use the user profile's Templates location: user still also gets prompted to "Trust" nine (9)  of Microsoft's own addins for when running Word 2010 (using what i think is the default security settings):>>

Never, ever have I seen any prompts for the list you show (and yes, these are things that are distributed as part of Office/Word). I've installed every "flavor" of Office 2010 from Beta 1 through RTM, more than once, and opened Word. No prompts for these things!

Are you seeing this on your own test installations? Are you customizing the setup? If yes, what changes are you making?

<< Issue with that is it will only install for the logged in user.  I dont see a existing Trusted location for 'All Users'.>>

No... But if you software is targeting multiple user environments is a network administration also involved? There would be a number of options open to you in that case... Actually, the deeper we get into the discussion, the more I get the impression your question belongs in the IT Pro area of the forums, rather than Dev... I can move it there, if necessary.

• Marked as answer by Bessie Zhao Friday, January 28, 2011 7:21 AM
    Tuesday, January 25, 2011 8:01 AM