Can not connect to oracle db when using 64 bit client (microsoft ole db provider for oracle) RRS feed

• Question

• User-290626477 posted

Hi,

My application is windows app built up in visual studio 2008, vb.net (X86 mode). The machine have windows 7 64 bit OS.

The application is using Oracle as database (seperate server m/c).

The application is working fine when I use oracle client 10g 32 bit version .

When I uninstall oracle client 10g 32 bit and install the oracle client 10g 64 bit, the application starts throwing the following error.

Oracle client and networking components were not found. These components are supplied by Oracle Corporation and are part of the Oracle Version 7.3.3 or later client software installation.  Provider is unable to function until these components are installed.

The application was originally on vb6. It was converted into vb.net. So I am using the following connection string (microsoft ole db provider for oracle).

StrConn = "Provider=MSDAORA.1; Data Source=ABC;User Id=XYZ;Password=XYZ123;"

Is there any ole db provider for oracle 64 bit version available?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thx in advance.

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 10:02 AM

Answers

• User269602965 posted

you are stuck with 32-bit OLEDB for various reasons.

you can install 32-bit OPD.NET Oracle Client install option on a 64-bit OS platform in to a new Oracle HOME directory than the 64-bit install.

but the application must be explicitly re-compiled as 32-bit and not the default setting of AUTO.

I have 32-bit WPF .NET apps running on 64-bit Windows 7 communicating with both a 32-bit Windows and a 64-bit Linux Oracle servers using the Oracle ODP.NET 32-bit Client running on the 64-bit Windows 7 workstation.,, BUT I must explicity compile my apps as 32-bit or it will not work.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 12:52 PM

All replies

• User269602965 posted

explicitly recompile your application as X64 (64-bit)

run the application on 64-bit server

on the application server install Oracle ODP.NET (ODAC) for 64-bit using the Client Installation option when prompted

OLEDB support included

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/windows/downloads/index-090165.html

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 12:25 PM
  • User-290626477 posted

Thanks for your reply.

But our application is kind of big one and older one. It is using lots of old ActiveX components. So if I change the provider to OraOLEDB.Oracle.1, those ActiveX components would not work. And replacing all of those components is not an easy job. Also in order to make all the com components work, I have to build the application in 32 bit mode (X86).

It is working fine if I use 32 bit Oracle client on 64 bit Windows 7. But the requirement is to use 64 bit oracle client on 64 bit Windows 7.

Is there any other alternative which can fulfill the requirement?

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 6:08 AM
  • User269602965 posted

you are stuck with 32-bit OLEDB for various reasons.

you can install 32-bit OPD.NET Oracle Client install option on a 64-bit OS platform in to a new Oracle HOME directory than the 64-bit install.

but the application must be explicitly re-compiled as 32-bit and not the default setting of AUTO.

I have 32-bit WPF .NET apps running on 64-bit Windows 7 communicating with both a 32-bit Windows and a 64-bit Linux Oracle servers using the Oracle ODP.NET 32-bit Client running on the 64-bit Windows 7 workstation.,, BUT I must explicity compile my apps as 32-bit or it will not work.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 12:52 PM